Profile: KentFlanagan
About
User Name: KentFlanagan
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Evil companions bring more hurt than profit.
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:36:25 AM
Guilt by association may be unfair, but it is how one is judged regardless of guilt or innocence.
Topic: Known as “The city of Trees
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:02:50 PM
In addition to previous comments, It is clear that the writer is attempting to cram too many trees into one sentence.

Also, in the first example it says that Sacramento has an art exhibit about trees (referenced as arboreal), not the actual trees.
Topic: A word which some lexicographer has marked obsolete is ever thereafter an object of dread and loathing to the fool writer,...
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:18:51 PM
A word which some lexicographer has marked obsolete is ever thereafter an object of dread and loathing to the fool writer, but if it is a good word and has no exact modern equivalent equally good, it is good enough for the good writer.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

Words in the English language are tools of a writer's craft and with so many "tools" to choose from, who is to say if a seldom used word is obsolete if it fits the exact needs of the writer in a passage.
Topic: There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.
Posted: Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:26:46 PM
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

The analogy of a plant, such as a tree, to evil is clear. If 1,000 hack or cut away at the branches, the tree may grow new branches to replace those lost. But cutting at the root of the tree will kill the tree.
Topic: Reason for explaining new thoughts on writing.
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:35:25 PM
Did you mean (as typed) "paraphrased sentences are longer sentences?" OR "paraphrased sentences or longer sentences?"
Topic: desayuno term
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 8:54:42 AM
A friend of mine loves his eggs fried "sunny side up" with runny yolks, but he has been unable to find a Spanish phrase for this. He can get the eggs fried without turning them over, but they are always well done with hard yolks.

Can anyone help me with this?
Topic: Paronomasias
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 9:37:08 AM
Although puns are considered by some to be the lowest form of humor and a waste of time, I think clever wordplay can be very helpful for anyone trying to develop vocabulary. Although I rarely comment on this forum, I think it is inappropriate for IMcRout to run roughshod over such efforts.
Topic: subject-verb agreement
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:33:49 AM
Since the pronoun "you" is an indefinite pronoun, it can refer to one or more than one. So, simply stating "I hope you enjoy this show" can suffice if it is inclusive in the context in which it is used.
Topic: Idioms - need help
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2009 9:41:31 AM
The study of idioms presents a continually changing landscape of usage, and the rate of change is increasing primarily because of exposure in popular music, such as hiphop and rap, which have brought the language of the 'hood and the street into popular usage.

Some changes in usage literally have become viral. For example, the terms "epic fail" and "props" have won broad acceptance because of immediate messaging and texting, where shorter forms are favored. Again, context is everything when it comes to appropriate use of idioms.
Topic: accordance subject-verb in this example
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 8:51:18 AM
Angus is correct. Just as real estate agents contend that location is prime as in "location, location, location," context is central to understanding English usage, especially in the use of pronouns in subject-verb agreement.