Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 40
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Verbing Words
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:01:05 AM
Lawrence wrote:
In english it's as old as the language. The earliest example that I know of is "house" which was used as a verb in anglo-saxon.

Lawrence, do you mean verbing is as old as the language? Can you use house as a verb in a sentence for an example? Thanks!
Topic: Greatest sentence ever!
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:43:43 PM
I thought the same thing, Aribad. With just that one line, I imagined a book with a lot of humor and irony. Isn't it amazing how just one sentence can create such an impression?

These sentences certainly substantiate one of the main rules in writing a book; draw the reader in from the first paragraph.

Joseph, this was a good exercise. I hope to see lots more. Applause
Topic: Greatest sentence ever!
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:22:10 AM
Yes, it's cliche, but . . .

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times . . . "
The opening sentence of A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens
Topic: Point System
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 2:06:11 PM
Well, looky here, we got us an administrator. Where have you been, Steve? We have lots and lots of questions and nobody's bothering to answer them for us. At least you cleared up the questions about the points system. Applause

Have you by chance gone into the post titled, Preserving the Forum, under Knowledge and Culture? We'd like to get a more precise idea of what this forum is all about. You'll see the questions there. We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks Steve!
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 9:34:16 AM
You may be right, krmiller. I just went into NickN's profile, it doesn't give any impression that he/she is an administrator (why would they keep that secret?), but the points were in the positive category again.

Krmiller, do you allow the others to see that your an administrator on your site?
Topic: Verbing Words
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:52:01 PM
That's funny. I wonder if it's always been like this or if it's a modern day occurrence? Maybe it's as you alluded to Nicole that it comes more from the technology world.
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:47:59 PM
I'm determined to get this all figured and I will certainly share with everyone when I do!
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 10:06:21 PM
Seriously! I thought maybe the people that had negtive points did something wrong and had their points taken away! I've asked that question twice and nobody can answer me.
Topic: Preserving the Forum
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 6:25:25 PM
I have. I sent an e-mail to them. Stay tuned . . .
Topic: Preserving the Forum
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 6:06:52 PM
This was a post I found on an outside game forum called inCrysis by Amana:

"For those who like to discuss anything about language, in all idioms - English, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Finnish, Hebrew, Italian, etc - I invite you to join the recently created "The Free Dictionary Language Forums"; if you decide to stay, go read my topic named "Babel" (http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst89_Babel.aspx), and make your statement, if you wish."

Again, touting this forum as a Language forum.