User Name: Shelley
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 13
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: van der?
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:24:16 AM
'Van der' is common in Afrikaans surnames (of Dutch origin) and does mean 'of the'. You'll find Van der Merwe, Van der Ruit, Van der Sand, etc. So I reckon this was just joke name: Van der Reprimander being something akin to Mr Partypooper - or similar.
Topic: Democracy Version 2 anyone?
Posted: Friday, October 8, 2010 6:15:38 AM
I discovered this fascinating site, offering an alternative, more encompassing form of democracy that offers solutions for stability and growth in a society (and in South Africa in particular). www.democracyversiontwo.com.
Do you think that 'more' democracy can succeed where a limited amount appears to have failed dismally? The author, Denis Beckett, makes a convincing argument.
Topic: What do you think about the internet dating websites?
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 7:39:06 AM
I've used a couple of dating sites - with extreme caution, I might add - and have made good friends with two men I met online and am seriously dating another. This over a period of two years, mind you. The trick is a) NOT to be desperate, otherwise you're a sucker for all the sickos, weirdos and serial daters (and there are plenty) and b) to take your time to get to know someone via email before going out with them. For me the real advantage was getting to know someone's mind before getting to know the rest of them.
Topic: What are your plans for retirement?
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:08:54 AM
I'm currently reading an inspiring book, 'The 4-hour Work Week' that turns the traditional concept of retirement on its head. I only hope that I'm not too advanced in years to apply some of the suggested practices and attitudes. Highly recommended reading!
Topic: The Bird Of The Morning Sings
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:03:43 AM
Thank you chitta chatta; that's a glorious poem and I love to find new poets. Your words are beautiful, too. A poet yourself?
Topic: Don't Draw Says Pakistan
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:55:28 AM
Do we have to have Mens rea here? I'm about to lose my breakfast.
We have our own debate re images of The Prophet Mohammud in South Africa, with a local paper choosing to take the p!ss in the name of freedom of expression. You can find a more balanced take on it here:
http://www.themediaonline.co.za/themedia/view/themedia/en/page268?oid=50349&sn=Detail&pid=1
Topic: Happy Mother´s Day!
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2010 5:19:29 AM
Thank you, MIB. I love being a mother and my greatest joy is to have all my children together - a rarity these days as the older ones have gone off to make their own lives in distant places. Today, they are all here, so this is a beautiful day for me. I hope all the mums on this forum are having a chilled, blessed and lovely mothers' day, too.
Topic: Typos in Published Works
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:41:30 AM
Do typos in 'intellectual' journals count? Take a look at this (you can ignore the first part about the now ex Mail & Guardian editor as that grieves only us locals): http://news.book.co.za/blog/2009/03/31/media-watch-ferial-haffajee-moves-to-city-press-and-sneak-preview-of-essop-pahads-the-thinker/#comment-15865

I'm not sure whether it's funny or sad; probably both.
Topic: Child Language Development and "Babytalk"
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:18:20 AM
Oh, gosh, yes you must! Whinese is the bane of my life and I've always refuse to respond to it. (Well mostly.) It's up there with children shoving their faces in their parents' and interrupting a conversation. My rule is, if you need to interrupt me, then say excuse me and I'll interrupt the conversation to attend to your urgent need. I'm also not that partial to children screaming for the fun of it.

I do love talking nonsense with my nine-year-old, Citiwoman. We make up seriously silly songs and rhymes and it's the best way to get him giggling when he's had a rough day.
Topic: usage of "dies"
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 2:56:54 PM
Good question; to which I have no answer. But the same applies to sports reporting: 'John Dow scores a tri' (or whatever the American football equivalent might be). Or 'Barak Obama triumphs!'. Perhaps it has something to do with the notability of that moment.
I hope for a more educated answer from someone...