User Name: bullit16
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 29
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Pretty Ugly Oxymorons
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:47:13 AM
Are you telling me that none of you are happily married?
Topic: Ditigal cameras
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:43:33 AM
I liken film/digital photography to reading a newspaper vs. reading it online. There's something about holding those photos in your hand after getting it back from the shop that was a cool feeling.
That said, I love photography and take pictures as often as I can. I started using film, and for the last seven or eight years I've used digital cameras. The tradeoff, and it's one I'm more than willing to make, is that if I get one good shot out of a 36-shot roll of film, that's a waste of money. If I get one good shot out of 100 on my memory card, I can still delete the other 99, and no harm done. Plus the programs on the computer let you do so much with the image once you upload it.
Topic: Phrases that describe people's appearances
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:37:31 AM
I'm not sure if this is along the lines of what you're looking for, but my dad's favorite saying (and it's become one of mine) for people who have aged poorly was :
"He looks like he died five years ago and no one told him to lay down."
Topic: pockabook ?
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:31:37 AM
I grew up in Philadelphia, and my mom always said "pockabook" as well. She also did her grocery shopping at the Ac-a-me Market and enjoyed day trips to Bal-tee-more.
Topic: Verbing Words
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:18:51 AM
A lot of the verbing I find comes from technology:

I Googled myself today, then I texted my friend to let him know. He IMed me in response and told me to Facebook him, so I did, and I friended him while I was there.
Topic: Roll Call
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:13:41 AM
I think the more important question about "taking attendance" is, where exactly are we taking it? Same as when we "take a shower". Does anyone ever "leave a shower"?
Topic: Embarrassing Mispronunciations
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:10:47 AM
As much as I try to correct her, my eight-year-old daughter continues to say "li-berry" and "Feb-uary"
Topic: must-read book recommendations ?
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:17:18 PM
The Diary of Anne Frank is a gripping read, but quite depressing.
Some of my favorites, that I recommend for anyone, include:

1984, by George Orwell. I read this every few years, and I get more and more amazed at how much closer we're heading toward this world.

The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand. A wonderful story about individualism and perseverance.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I also highly recommend the Harry Potter series. I was very skeptical about them, but they're terrific stories.

If you enjoy off-the-wall humor mixed with some sci-fi, try Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

And for fans of science fiction:

Childhood's End, the 2001: A Space Odyssey and/or the Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke
The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov
Sphere, by Michael Crichton (perhaps the award-winner for the Best Book Made Into the Worst Movie)
Topic: Speaking of product packaging...
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:07:01 PM
My shampoo tells me to
"Lather, rinse, repeat"
I was stuck in the shower for three days until the shampoo ran out!

I believe blow dryers also have warnings not to use in the shower.

I also enjoy the little packs of silica gel that come with electronics that warn you "this is not food"
Topic: Typos in Published Works
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:01:20 PM
We had a local woman, who declared herself an expert on the history of her hometown, self-publish a book about the town, and insisted that our newspaper write a feature about her. She came into the office and basically mocked us. "I don't suppose you know about being a published author," she'd say. When we mentioned that as newspaper writers and editors, we do have our work printed, she replied, "Well ... that's really bottom-of-the-birdcage kind of stuff, isn't it?"
She also refused to give us a free copy of her book, instead making us pay for it.
So we read it ... and found approximately three to five typos on every page, which we happily circled in red pen and mailed the book back to her.