Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 54
[0.01% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: recognized increasingly by the general public
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:49:19 AM
Hi Nima.
Not only doctors and psychologists recognise the traumatic effects of emotional upheavals but also common people.
Topic: between one’s eyes vs "between its eyes"
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:43:58 AM
I'd'say "one" is verywrong, because it is usually used in an impersonal (and quite formal) context, such as "One should never trifle with one's friends" or "One couldn't help being on one's guard in that dangerous neighbourhood" and such.
Topic: Inquisition vs. Inquisition
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2009 4:29:54 AM
I have never heard the term "Inquisition" used to define an ordinary adjudicating council.
Neither did I ever hear the same used as a synonim of "inquest". I'd say that "Inquisition" has a meaning strictly related to history and is never used in everyday speech except as a metaphor relating to biased judgement on one's personal ideas/opinions/beliefs
Topic: Etymology and synonymn of your "user name"
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:56:57 AM
My middle name is Francesca, but Franziska is the character of a popular Italian ballad, a girl whose sweetheart is an outlaw who can't marry her, but who won't let her marry anybody else either.
This is a translation of the song's last verse:

They told me that Franziska
is tired of waiting
she will see even her little sister married.
Yesterday a man smiled at her on the square
he was for sure a stranger,
he didn't know what he was risking.
Topic: shirt versus t-shirt
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2009 8:52:51 AM
I believe that t.shirt is short for training shirt, a garment one uses in gyms. Also, I believe it to be a rather recent term, substituting the older one "vest"; personally, I never heard it used before the Eighties. In Italian also there are two different terms: camicia (dress shirt) and maglietta (t.shirt). These also relate to different kind of material, cotton (or linen, silk etc...) fabric in the first instance, light cotton jersey in the second.
Topic: One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action, and filled with noble risks, is worth whole years of those mean...
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:23:46 AM
In Italy we have a say: "better one day ad a lion than 100 days as a sheep." It's a typically romantic attitude, but it doensn't possibly apply to everyday life. Besides, it seems really dangerous and a bit on the "terrorist" side, don't you think?
Topic: words associated with genuine confusion.
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:40:32 PM
I have just discovered, while reading "Ivanhoe" that "bewildered" originally meant literally "lost in the wild". Isn't that interesting? I mean, the shift from literal to metaphoric?
Topic: words associated with genuine confusion.
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:26:17 AM
bewildered, at one's wits end,flabberghasted
Topic: panoptic.
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:22:32 AM
The "pan" prefix in panopticon derives from ancient greek "pan" meaning "all, everything".
Other words with the same prefix:
pandemia = a global epidemic
pantheism = a philosophical approach seeing God in everything
Christ Pantocrator = Christ ruler of everything
Topic: "summick"
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 6:38:14 AM
"summik" is actually cockney, London dialect, more than slang.