User Name: Epiphileon
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,328
[0.42% of all post / 0.99 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Mars, again
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2021 3:17:46 PM
Yeah I was stoked as well. An amazing feat of engineering, a sky crane!! Love it.
Topic: Cultural Oxymoron
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 4:35:40 AM
Y111 wrote:

Everyone lives in a bubble. It's transparent but it also reflects back what we project onto it from our minds. So our outside impressions mingle with our thoughts into something similar to augmented reality. No wonder people so often disagree about what is going on. They see different pictures.

Confronting the degree to which subjectivity shapes what we think we know and then developing the discipline to, to the degree possible, become objective is a task that, it seems, few are willing to take on.
Topic: An asterisk in US history.
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2021 10:05:09 AM
aha
Topic: An asterisk in US history.
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2021 4:19:08 AM
I agree full accountability is absolutely necessary; however, other than the impeachment trial and the determination if any members of the legislature should be censured and or removed, I am fervently hoping that the rest is left in the hands of the justice department. I am sure there is plenty for them to investigate.
What I fear is a plethora of congressional investigations that distract from the very necessary governing that needs to happen to ensure a stable country in which healing can happen.
Topic: Climate Change Rock
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2021 4:07:15 AM
I came across this video this morning and thought it was a powerful lament of climate change.
Nanook
The URL for that link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLv7Olpfxzw&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3V0daOoAlSquNQ_qaGEb2mIpnDyb7wJTfouaCFYM9tbN1v3cTICoOjJKE&ab_channel=NanookOfficial%26FrederikElsnerF

I looked up the band.
Quote:
Nanook are a Greenlandic pop-rock band formed by brothers Christian and Frederick Elsner...
Christian and Frederick are half-Inuit and half-Danish...
Nanook's lyrics are in Greenlandic.[3] They refused an offer from Sony as the company wanted them to switch to English. Wikipedia

I had no idea that nanook actually meant polar bear.
I think I may understand the band's refusal of Sony but I'm looking for a way to contact them and suggest they find some acceptable way to have their music more widely known.
Topic: Toxic and Blatant Totalitarianism
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 4:48:38 AM
I really think we should petition TFD to remove the political sub-forum and rigorously ban any political posts. All the other sub-forums have educational value this one is lost to divisiveness and hostility.
Topic: The Big Lie
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2021 3:51:41 AM
For anyone familiar with the history of propaganda it has been obvious for some time the "Big Lie" strategy was being employed against the American people. What is stunning to me is that even with everything I think I understand about human nature and information manipulation, I am still stunned by how many people are accepting this lie as truth.
Topic: Interview With Gen. Michael Flynn
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2021 3:37:54 AM
Yes, it is a great example of pushing the big lie, and of how to continue a propaganda campaign to keep people convinced of an untruth. If there were actually any evidence of election fraud or tampering that would have changed the election results it would have been brought to the courts. For what the general is saying here to be true we would have to believe that Republican-appointed federal judges and even the supreme court judges are either too incompetent to recognize legitimate evidence or are part of the "Democratic Machine".
Topic: The best country in the world and American Exceptionalism
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2021 1:26:11 PM
From "The Newsroom Season" 1 Episode 1
America is Not the Greatest Country in the World

Here's the raw link if you prefer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTjMqda19wk&ab_channel=tpratt441

One of the best television shows of my lifetime.

ETA Hey, anyone know how to embed a video in a post?

Topic: Sound Familiar?
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2021 12:12:35 PM
One of the most stunning displays of projection I've ever seen.