Profile: Vonne
About
User Name: Vonne
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 9
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: How would you answer these questions!
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 7:05:08 AM
Yes. If a solid tree fell down and hit the ground it does make a sound/noise regardless if anyone is there or not. Unless it occurred in some mythical land...maybe 'Wonderland'...where i think questions like these should be.

However, if it's sound versus noise I think it would depend on the intensity of what was heard. It would definitely make a sound but couldn't say if it made noise Whistle
Topic: need help here
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 6:40:04 AM
"Kim scares the heck out of me"

Simply to be very scared the intensity being shown by the use of words such as 'heck' 'hell' 'X' 'beetle juice' 'sh_t and the list goes on.
Topic: got/came
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 6:26:27 AM
Both sound ok to me too.... Present perfect would have been: I have just gotten back from my appointment.
Topic: Dreams 'come true' or 'come through'?
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 5:50:20 AM
Thank you all for your responses. Very thoughtful. However, the response that took most of the knits from my brow, was Sarachan's response.

Citing 'dreams come true' as being an idiomatic expression would not have given me any appease as, if it was written as 'dreams come through' it would still be an idiomatic expression. The debate, I think, would be centred around the choice of word.

As I said before, Sarachan's explanation 'takes the cake'.....well, at least a half.
Topic: Dependent Clauses in Compound Sentences: To Comma or Not to Comma
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:06:33 AM
[quote=arthbard]Here's one I've never been able to find a definitive answer to: When a sentence begins with a dependent clause, that clause is generally set apart by use of a comma, but what happens when a dependent clause starts the second half of a compound sentence? In addition to following the dependent clause with a comma, is it proper to also precede the clause with a comma.

Example:

1.) Joe and Jim walked down the street, and, at the corner, Joe found a nickel.

or

2.) Joe and Jim walked down the street, and at the corner, Joe found a nickel.

I read what you wrote, but I am not sure I understand you.

One minor correction. 'Joe and Jim walked down the street,' would be an independent clause, as it has a subject and verb and can stand alone. Also, 'Joe found a nickel'.

I would go with the second sentence: Joe and Jim walked down the street, and at the corner, Joe found a nickel.

It appears to me your problem is related to Coordinating Conjunction. See if this site helps: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_clause.html

Ganbatte ne Pray
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:12:21 AM
catskincatskin wrote:
'When you use it, where do you imagine they are coming through from?'

Shame on you Firstly, the word through has numerous meanings. According to yourdictionary.com one definition of through is:- past the limitations or difficulties of. This would signify something happening regardless of the limitations and difficulties. Dreams are dreams because they are not easily attained. 'Through' in this sense is a process, which would be quite adequate and befitting for the phrase 'dreams come through'.

Thefreedictionary, in one definition, also defined through as:- To a conclusion or an accomplishment

Dreams become true...ok, but dreams come true? Hmmmm....Dreams come reality?

Try to be objective in your thinking.
Topic: Is "Pair" Plural or Singular?
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:37:56 AM
Pair is singular.

You wouldn't say some pair of scissors (well I think not).

You would say a pair of scissors. Some pairs...A pair...

Can't get any simpler. Whistle
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:20:20 AM
I would appreciate any thoughtful response to this question.

Do dreams come true or come through?

My take on this is that dreams are made true when they come through.

I just can't reconcile to the concept of 'dreams come true'. Weird, though seemed to have been accepted world-wide. Angel
Topic: Check My Sentence Please
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:51:27 AM
I have a slight variation to the answers being given. Without applying too much alteration to the original sentence, I would suggest:

The most painful time of your life is when you see your love, whom you love like crazy, not being worthy of it.Eh?