Profile: Seeker
About
User Name: Seeker
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 258
[0.03% of all post / 0.06 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2018 11:51:13 AM
TRUTH!!!Applause
Topic: Your username in Urban Dictionary
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:36:34 AM
Seeker = Someone who has become enlightened in the ways of the universe by accepting they know nothing about it.

EXACTLY!!!
Topic: U.S. Constitution under attack
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:28:34 PM
LostinSC wrote:
Listening - Rep. Serrano's proposed amendment has been referred to Committee. Historically, it will die there as most Constutional amendments do. Too, it takes 75% approval of both houses of congress then 75% states approval for ratification. It Ain't easy and it Ain't gonna happen. What we are witnessing is political chicanery which, IMHO, has been prevelant since 1787.

Seeker - I agree with you on lifetime appointees and, seemingly, lifelong congressional representation. (Re: Strom Thurmond, Robert Byrd, Dan Inoue, Charlie Rangle and on and on and on.) A term limits bill is destined to defeat, since the very politicians who would pass such legislation would be putting the noose around the neck of their own political ambition.

The answer lies, I think, in a well informed electorate, unbiased media and open government.

All I can say about that is, "Good luck America, and goodbye".

Sad, huh?

Losty

Very sad indeed.
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:27:08 PM
Listening . . . wrote:
Seeker, I take issue with the term (non) limits for Supreme Court and Congressmen, as well. We could certainly discuss the unfairness of their benefit packages and their ability to put laws in place without having the requirement to follow the laws (i.e. recent Health Care law), too.
The position of the President is the highest position in the United States. I do not support repealing a two term limit for this position. Eight years is long enough to control the direction the country takes. For those out there who would like a dictator, there are other places to live. I like my freedoms. I respect the men and women who have bravely fought to give them to me. Any change that takes place that could result in removal of what has been hard fought to put in place, I completely oppose.

Listening, I made no comment for or against a longer term for the Presidency. I addressed the overly long terms of the Supreme Court nominees and Congresspeople. I stand by my comment. I do question why you think the President would be a dictator, when he clearly has been held back by Congress. The President cannot arbitrarily make decisions without others being involved.
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:52:37 PM
The question began with "two term limit for the position of the President of the United States", and fear of a dictatorship. IMHO, the question should be the validity of lifetime terms for Supreme Court appointees, and multiple terms for Congresspeople.
Topic: What are you reading?
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 1:10:34 PM
"The Fine Print: How Big Companies Use "Plain English" to Rob You Blind"
by David Cay Johnston
Topic: Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense.
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 11:10:28 AM
MTC wrote:

Here are other quotations by Twain in which he uses "irreverence" to give you a more rounded view:

True irreverence is disrespect for another man's god.
- Following the Equator, Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

Irreverence is another person's disrespect to your god; there isn't any word that tells what your disrespect to his god is.
- No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger

When a thing is sacred to me it is impossible for me to be irreverent toward it. I cannot call to mind a single instance where I have ever been irreverent, except toward the things which were sacred to other people.
- "Is Shakespeare Dead?"

Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense.
- Notebook, 1888

You might say Irreverence is Twain's God. Peronally, I find his irreverence as refreshing as a slap in the face by a cold wave. Go on, Twain! Be irreverent. Maybe we'll all learn something. The world is filled with people and their pompous conceits, their follies, and their sacred cows just waiting for a bath in Twain's acid wit. Too bad he's not around today.

Applause Applause Applause
Topic: Obama's speech to black church
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:27:18 PM
It has been my experience - and I am a senior citizen - that when anyone is among people of their own family or race, the language and the words used are different than when in mixed racial groups. Each race has words, phrases, nicknames, and expressions that they use only among themselves. I believe that to be the case in both situations stated above involving President and Mrs. Obama.

Also, at this time, the GOP is trying to suppress the black vote, along with the votes of other minorities, college students and seniors, in an effort to secure a Romney win. That is reminiscent of the "poll tax" before Civil Rights was enacted. They have even gone so far as to take legal actions in several states to do so. They themselves have bragged that doing so will produce a Republican win.

IMHO, what we should be focused on is first, the many accomplishments of President Obama. There were many 'promises' he made which he has been unable to keep as yet. Bear in mind the planned and carried out obstruction by the GOP/TeaParty. Remember too, that it has taken many, many years, most recently the eight of the previous administration, to drive the country into the ditch. It should be obvious that it will take more than four years to pull us back. In the meantime, we are better off than we were four years ago. Tampa Bay's PolitiFact has a handy meter that tracks the Obama progress: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

Second - Do we really want the GOP/TeaParty in the White House based on past performance? Based on their lack of concern for minorities, students, seniors - actually, any of the 99% in general. Watch their videos - both Romney and Ryan have them, and then see how you feel about having them in the W.H. They constantly put their feet in their mouths and they do it in public as well as in foreign countries. And what about the people who are financing their campaigns with unbelievable amounts of money. Why? What are they asking for in return?

I believe we are better off than 4 years ago and I am confident in giving President Obama another four years.
Topic: As long as war is regarded as wicked it will always have its fascination. When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to...
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 11:55:00 AM
An earthquake is a naturally occurring calamity - which often does not include deaths.
A war is anything but naturally occurring, or natural for that matter, which almost always causes deaths.
Topic: The State of American Health Care: A Personal Perspective
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 2:26:07 PM
Also needed is curtailing of the costs being charged for treatments and drugs which is absolutely ridiculous. Reigning in Big Pharma must be part of the process of righting the healthcare situation in the U.S.