User Name: bewusstlos
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 20
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: an unfortunately named road.
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:33:14 AM
A Google search gives 491,000 results for Fucking, Austria ( http://www.google.co.in/search?rlz=1C1GGLS_en-GBIN307IN307&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Fucking,+Austria ). One of the Wikipedia entries is like this:

Fucking, Austria
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fucking
— Village —

Fucking
Located in Austria 2.5 miles from the German border.
Coordinates: 48°04′02″N 12°51′49″ECoordinates: 48°04′02″N 12°51′49″E
Country Austria
State Upper Austria
Region Innviertel
Municipality Tarsdorf
Established since at least 1070
Named for 6th century man called Focko
Population
- Total 104
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
- Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 5121
Area code(s) 06278
Licence plate BR
Fucking (German pronunciation: [ˈfʊkɪŋ]) is an Austrian village[2] in the municipality of Tarsdorf,[3] in the Innviertel region of western Upper Austria.
The village is located 33 kilometres (21 mi) north of Salzburg, four kilometres (2.5 mi) east of the German border.
Contents [hide]

The settlement of Fucking has existed since at least 1070 and is named after a man from the 6th century called Focko. "-ing" is an old Germanic suffix indicating the people of the root word to which it is attached; thus Fucking means "(place of) Focko’s people."[4] The village has a population of 107.
Fucking's most famous feature is a traffic sign with its name on it, beside which tourists often stop to have their photograph taken. It is a commonly stolen street sign.[5] Significant public funds have been spent on replacing the stolen signs.[6]
In 2004, mainly due to the stolen signs, a vote was held on changing the village's name, but the residents voted against doing so.[4] According to the town mayor, Siegfried Hauppl:
“ We had a vote last year on whether to rename the town, but decided to keep it as it is. After all, Fucking has existed for 800 years, probably when a Mr Fuck or the Fuck family moved into the area. The 'ing' was added as a word for settlement.[4] ”
In August 2005, the road signs were replaced with theft-resistant signs welded to steel and secured in concrete to prevent further chances of the sign being stolen.[6] Few thefts have since occurred, but it remains a problem.[citation needed]
Topic: an unfortunately named road.
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:06:45 AM
TYSON wrote:
I wish I could find the link to the article.

Your wish is granted. Go to: http://everything2.com/title/Gropecunt%2520Lane
Topic: Have you ever wondered...
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:14:30 PM
My Collins Concise Dictionary says its octopuses, and both hippopotamuses and hippopotami.
Topic: Proverbs
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:06:54 AM
Betsy D. wrote:
Here's one my friend's mother used to say:

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Thanks for this one. I used to think it was:

"If wishes came true, beggars would ride horses."

And MichalG's "To err is human, to forgive, divine" reminds me of the naughty version:

"To err is human, but isn't it divine?"
Topic: Nicknames
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:52:41 AM
Duke Ellington?
Topic: Nicknames
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:55:46 AM
'Tiger' Pataudi (Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi): India's cricket captain of yesteryears.
Topic: See no evil, hear no evil
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:42:28 AM
Have a look at this cartoon, a variation of the three monkeys:

http://today.myway.com/toonfunview/id/0.html

It's from Speed Bump, for March 24, 2009.
Topic: Dreams 'come true' or 'come through'?
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:31:25 AM
I'd say "Dreams come true" when something happens that you had only hoped/wished for. "Dreams are made true" when you succeed, after striving for it, in attaining something that you had wished for. "Dreams coming through" is new to me also.

Topic: people who don't know they're bad at writing.
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:19:16 AM
I once had a boss who often complimented me by writing "Excellant" on the draft submitted for his approval. After this had happened about three times I told him about his spelling mistake. He laughed and made some lame excuse. A few days later I got another "Excellant" and decided that there really was no way to straighten a dog's tail, as the saying goes. I came to accept it, but I might have made a noise if he had won any prizes in English.

Topic: Word-related Riddles
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 10:49:59 AM
krmiller wrote:
What has roots that no one sees, is taller than trees, up it goes, and yet never grows?

Give up. What's it?