Last 10 Posts
Topic: Recently vs Currently
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:41:06 PM
Volcano wrote:
krmiller wrote:
Volcano wrote:
recently:
adverb not long ago, newly, lately, currently, freshly, of late, latterly

What dictionary (or is it a thesaurus?) are you using? I would stop using it!

The Free Dictionary lol

Ah, I see that you were looking at a thesaurus. Not a good way to find out the meaning of a word! I do find it very strange that "currently" is listed as a synonym for "recently." I suppose one could be currently doing something if one had recently started...
Topic: Nunnery v. Convent
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:15:26 PM
pwentworth1965 wrote:
Although very often misused, nunnery is a whore house and a convent is a place where nuns live.

I have studied Shakespeare and in studying Hamlet we learned that "nunnery" was a slang term for a brothel in Elizabethan England. However, it also literally meant a place where nuns lived, which is why the famous "get thee to a nunnery" scene in Hamlet is ambiguous--is Hamlet urging Ophelia to protect herself by becoming a nun, or is he accusing her of being promiscuous and telling her to get away from him and become a prostitute? However, that is archaic slang, and has little relevance in today's English-speaking world.

Romany wrote:
So, to the original question: my answer, coming from other places, would have been that there is no difference between a nunnery and a convent - except that nunnery is rather an archaic word which is not in official use these days, but still clings verbally in some parts of the community! Quite a difference, isn't it?

I don't know if there is a difference nowadays. The differentiation may only be in older language. I say this because I am American and always understood "nunnery" and "convent" to mean the same thing (that was certainly the assumption when studying Hamlet). However, I admit that I am not Catholic and have never attended Catholic school or known nuns personally; all of my knowledge comes from friends who have attended Catholic school (though not at convents) and the musical The Sound of Music.

I also thought that "sister" was simply the title given to a nun.

As further support for my and Romany's understanding of the terms, I present this website's definition of "nunnery": A convent of nuns. (You can look it up above if you don't believe me!)
Topic: 7 11
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:06:48 PM
Romany wrote:
I'd never come across 7/11s until a few years ago, but had been told the name referred to the opening hours. Yet throughout Asia 7/11s are actually 24/7s! They NEVER close! Is this now the same in America, or do they literally open between the hours of 7am and 11pm?

This is true of every 7-11 I have seen. I think it's a question of changing culture. Back when 7-11 first opened, that was a very long time for a store to be open. Now, people are out and about all day and all night, and many convenience stores and drugstore are open 24/7. If 7-11 was only open from seven AM to eleven PM, it would lose a lot of business nowadays.

I think this is the most likely explanation for the phrase in movies (unless they are gambling movies), since if it referred to the date it would be translated.
Topic: Which one is more appropriate ?
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:03:14 PM
If I read the sentence "The contempt is still continuing" I would think that this contempt had been going on for a long time. However, contempt is an attitude more than an action, so I would also think it was a strange sentence.
Topic: Recently vs Currently
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:57:52 PM
Volcano wrote:
recently:
adverb not long ago, newly, lately, currently, freshly, of late, latterly

What dictionary (or is it a thesaurus?) are you using? I would stop using it! It is just as RuthP explained. The two words cannot be interchanged. The word "recently" would have to be used with a verb in the past tense, while that sentence is in the present tense.
Topic: Opposite of 'Deja Vu'
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:54:59 PM
Anthony57 wrote:
TFD does not provide information regarding the pronunciation of the term; is the term pronounced:

Ja-mais vu or Ja-ma-is vu or ???

Think

Unfortunately, since it's a loanword from French you can't apply the rules of English pronunciation to it. I would write the spelling as "zha-may voo." The pronunciation of the French word as uuaschbaer linked to is probably more helpful though!
Topic: "adviser" vs "advisor"
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:52:11 PM
RARA wrote:
Yes.

The er and the or at then end of each word affects the pronunciation.

Not in my dialect. Both the /e/ and the /o/ reduce to a schwa, or perhaps more accurately, to a syllabic r.

I prefer the spelling "advisor," but that's just what I'm used to seeing. To my surprise, Firefox's spell checker thinks that is wrong and that "adviser" is correct!
Topic: orient vs orientate
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 11:52:36 PM
I like to think that "orientate" comes from people making an error in trying to make the verb form of "orientation," but that might just be because I don't like it and want it to be wrong.

Andleu, when used as a noun as in your explanation "Orient" is capitalized--it's a proper noun.
Topic: Me too (or) I too
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 11:49:53 PM
I think technically "I, too" is correct most of the time, but generally people just say "me too" because they're lazy! (I include myself in that group.)
Topic: what is the difference between
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 11:36:50 PM
alexia wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering what was the difference between to be capable of and to be able to.
Are they interchangeable?
Could I use either one of them in a sentence such as: the machine is capable of/able to... ? or would I have to use another verb to express the ability of a machine to do something?

They are basically the same, yes. I think I would use "capable of" more for physical things and "able to" for all things, but I can't think of any context in which you could use one but not the other.