User Name: Volcano
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 462
[0.05% of all post / 0.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: For it was...
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 4:25:53 PM
For it was by the time that he had reached these that the priest began a little to allow his thoughts to wander and his animal senses, which were commonly keen, to awaken.

Could you explain the sentece? I couldn't connect "for" with "to awaken".
Topic: A Been
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 5:15:57 PM
Thanks
Topic: A Been
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:00:03 PM
What would otherwise have a been a beautiful long stretch of deserted beach was the site of a desperate struggle for life.

Hi

What does "a been" mean? Also, past conditional + was?
Topic: Head Department
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:52:10 PM
mactoria wrote:
Volcano: If you're looking for a literal translation of a title that already exists, then "head" is odd, but okay. However, if you're just writing up a new title, a "head department" is an unusual term, that I think doesn't really make good sense. A department usually has a "head' or leader, but it's unclear to what a "head department" could mean.

What about Department of...?
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:51:41 PM
WordsRaGoodThing wrote:
"External transactions" is a much broader term than "foreign transactions." So, it depends on what you have in mind. If credit and, specifically, foreign transactions are the essential or predominant domains of the department, I'd go with "foreign transactions." If you look up the definition of "external transactions," you will find that this refers to ANY transaction between two separate entities. So, if foreign transactions are just one among many kinds of external transactions handled by the department, I'd go with "external transactions." Hope this helps!

The transactions are between a bank and the third parties such as the other banks, government institutions..
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 5:27:00 PM
Hi

I am looking for a translation of a department. Which is better or what would you suggest?

Head Deparment of Credit and Foreign Transactions

Head Deparment of Credit and External Transactions
Topic: Is + Has
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:00:07 PM
Muvi has earned the first-choice position as a video monetization platform provider for many including small and medium enterprises for whom video is business is has video in business.

Could you explain what the second is functions in the sentence?
Topic: It directed...
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2017 1:02:22 PM
It directed that his estate be invested conservatively and that be used to establish annual prizes to be awarded.

Could you explain why be + verb3 instead to be verb3?

Topic: From now on...
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 7:25:55 AM
So what should I say?
Topic: From now on...
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:27:46 PM
There were 7 points difference with the second team in previous weeks, but the first team have lost two games in a row and now the difference is only one point. There are 4 remaining games in the season.

If the team win 4 remaining games, they will be champions anyway; but the fans will feel anxious rather than joy within this period.

If the team had kept on winning, they would have been championship with 7 or more points difference at the end of the season, and this would have given much joy to the fans.