User Name: Citiwoman
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 31
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Raising Children/Schedules!
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 12:42:27 AM
Lately I've been sad about the way kids are spending their childhoods. When school is out, they scatter off to soccer practice, piano lessons and dance class. I know children (in third grade) who have three activities virtually every night. It seems to be a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. If Joey from next door practices soccer every day, he might be the star in high school. I'd better send my Jimmy for extra lessons.

My daughter takes violin lessons once per week (for a half an hour), and she enjoys it. As I sit and wait for her, I routinely see a 13-year-old boy crying because he is at the school for two hours every night. He plays several instruments and takes intensive music theory classes. When my daughter became mildly frustrated over a piece, her instructor shot me a look and said, "It's okay. You do the best you can with only one half-hour lesson per week."

My daughter enjoys violin. If she were forced to practice for hours on end, she would not. I want her to be happy, even if it means she doesn't make first chair or play in a world-renowned orchestra.

Why don't people find things fun if they can't be the best?
Topic: when books are turned into films.
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 12:31:53 AM
Little Children
Atonement
Topic: Pretty Ugly Oxymorons
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 12:30:00 AM
This is a wicked awesome thread.

These days, all the kids talk in "opposite" speak:
Your new boots are sick.
Great job! You killed it!
You destroyed that presentation.
Topic: Corporatespeak
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 12:25:36 AM
Imagine the self satisfaction of the individual uttering these old goodies:
We need to right-size this department.
He is going to throw me under the bus.
I am going to tee this up so that you will understand it.
We are going to create buzz.
This product is buzzworthy for a great street campaign.
Let's hit it out of the park with this presentation.
I'll have my admin squeeze you in.
Topic: Let's play a game!
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 12:13:16 AM
SLANT
Topic: Plural Apostrophes
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:51:13 AM
You are so right about the apostrophe before the decade! I just left it out because I already had quotes.
Topic: Child Language Development and "Babytalk"
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:46:24 AM
I do understand the distinction between inventing "clever" words and just repeating verbatim words that kids ("paci" and the like). It certainly has generated discussion here. I suppose we did some of the latter variety (apparently deemed negatively by some) also. When my daughter called her pacifier a "peeshia" instead of a pacifier, we thought it was hilarious and also called it that. Very possibly, we did the same with her other mispronunciations. Perhaps, then, it's a miracle that she spoke early, read early and has tested high on IQ tests for the gifted program at the age of seven.

Parents, especially first-time parents, do a lot of crazy things. I'm a proponent of cutting them some slack.
Topic: people who don't know they're bad at writing.
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:33:42 AM
I've written and edited. Many writers who believe they are great writers (and I was once among them) are actually bad for one reason: they are over the top. They love to see their words (many, many words) because the words are so philosophical, so intellectual, so big. In college I wrote papers for a particular communications professor with thesaurus in hand. The goal was to use as many obscure and mind-blowing words as humanly possible. And each time I rather mindlessly used my thesaurus and big words I received a high mark, regardless of the order and actual sense of the paper. It took years to realize that less really is more, and I (and probably you, too) can say something profound and clever and intelligent in a concise manner. I think that is an essential of good writing.
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:49:20 AM
So I shouldn't tell my kids I don't speak Whinese?
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:46:20 AM
Wow, I invented all sorts of words even before I had kids! I think I make up a new word almost every day and proudly, continue to apply it to everyday life. I am confident my kids don't feel it "dumbs down" anything. Rather, it gives us laughs and sparks creativity. My kids know not to use our flavor of "slang" in writing or in formal situations at school. My kids have a prolific vocabulary, so I'm not too concerned.