User Name: tfrank
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 73
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: toni morrison.
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 11:58:27 AM
I don't remember being bothered by it in The Bluest Eye. I think all that stuff is fine if done really well. I just don't think it was done really well in Jazz.
Topic: toni morrison.
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 5:10:24 PM
Morrison's obviously an incredibly talented writer, but sometimes her work seems a little gimmicky. I mean, I understand trying new things, but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Case in point: making the book Jazz itself the narrator. Neat trick, but thinking "Hey, neat trick!" pulls me out of the actual story. Also, the narrator didn't deliver on a big promise early in the book - the book lied. Part of the trick; books can do what they want to. But the whole "Bobby's in the shower and last season was all just a dream" thing was annoying. Sure, books can do what they want to - but I prefer fiction with integrity. That is, I prefer a story that resonates with someone or something's truth more than one shoots off on a lecture about literature, even if the discourse itself contains truth.

Now, all that aside, I do love the book. I really love it. That's why the gimmicky stuff in it irritates me so.
Topic: The Mystery of Skeleton Lake
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:31:22 PM
Have you seen the show 1,000 Ways to Die? I sat down one time to watch it thinking it would all be dramatized. Uh, some was, but there was actual videotape of a guy who'd had his lower body separated from his torso - the gory parts were just blurred out, but you could see his face and hear his pleas for help.

I haven't watched again. I mean, I'm as curious as the next person, but I don't have it in me to be that much of a voyeur when it comes to someone's suffering.
Topic: does rhyme have a place in today's poetry ?
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:21:12 PM
I think it absolutely has a place. And rhyme definitely shouldn't be clearly forced; anything clearly forced isn't good art to begin with (unless it's in the realm of satire). After all, the best athletes and dancers make their hard work look easy, no?

But formal poetry definitely has its place; it's impossible to weigh the worth of one art form against another. Maybe a terzanelle wouldn't do anything to turn most high school kids on to poetry, but a heck of a lot of people who get turned on to poetry learn to appreciate well crafted terzanelles later in life.

I think of formal poetry in the same way I think of quilt patterns. I love to see original designs, but a well-executed wedding ring quilt is also breathtaking. Creating something truly original and meaningful within rigid parameters takes a great deal of talent.

I write both formal and informal poetry, and I've noticed that, while it's hard as heck to get anything placed, it's that much harder to get formal poetry placed.
Topic: Oriental Medicine
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:03:49 PM
Thanks!
Topic: when books are turned into films.
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:01:29 PM
I think I'm definitely in the minority here - I definitely did NOT enjoy the film adaptations of the Harry Potter books as much as the books themselves. I loved the scenic designs and the cinematography, but characterization got sacrificed for supersized adventure scenes. The books were pretty darn adventurous; if the directors had stuck to those adventure scenes only, there still would have been loads of adventure in the movies.
Topic: A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of.
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:15:18 AM
I agree. This makes me laugh.
Topic: Oriental Medicine
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 10:53:12 PM
Chronic muscle, joint, and sciatica-like pain, and some nonpainful but very strange other stuff like balance issues, brain fog, and paresthesia (odd sensations, basically).

I've been bounced from doctor to doctor for a little while, with professional disagreement as to whether it was neurological (possible MS or something similar) or rheumatologic. Nothing showed up on any tests whatsover - until now!

Yay, it's a vitamin D insufficiency! Who'd a thunk? I could have felt better a dozen years ago! Evidently, a lack of vitamin D can cause serious symptoms (pain, brain fog, balance issues, paresthesia, etc.) and lead to even more serious disorders (sets people up for autoimmune, cancer, heart problems, bone problems, and lots more), but doctors are only just now realizing how exactly how important it is.

Lots of people are low on it now, too, since everyone is keeping out of the sun.

Anyway, I plan to try acupuncture for pain if the supplements don't completely clear up the issue and there's something else going on as well. So far, I've noticed some great changes with the vitamin D, though. Fingers crossed!
Topic: Why is it okay to spell patty as "pattie"?
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 10:38:25 PM
Somewhere on the English language forum is a discussion of the differences between British English and American English; I can't remember who it was, but someone went into an explanation of how Noah Webster deliberately dropped some superfluous letters of words for his dictionary and changed the spellings of other words to make them simpler.

Honestly, I have no idea if gray was one of Noah Webster's inventions. I think it was actually a British variant to grey long before Webster was born, but I can't verify my source on that.

I think it's interesting that if we went far enough back, we'd still have to choose between variants; a quick search turns up both graeg and groeg (with the ash and the ethel, which I don't know how to duplicate).

Topic: Phrases that describe people's appearances
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2009 3:14:21 PM
Wow, Mr.19, I never heard that one before. I never would have associated a characteristic with any particular ethnic group, and I've never heard this before. I've read/heard the word in reference to expressions that give nothing away, used the same was as "poker-faced," but that's it.

I'm not familiar with the Longman Dictionary. This sounds like it is as insulting a stereotype to non-Asian British and Americans (because British and American citizens can be Asian as well, which that dictionary doesn't seem to recognize!) as it does to people of Asian descent.