Statistics
Number of Posts: 340
[0.03% of all post / 0.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The Black Obelisk
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 2:52:11 AM
Christine wrote:
Reminds me of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I was just about to say that...actually, I clicked on this topic hoping the article would be about that.
Topic: Have got, Have or got
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 2:50:17 AM
"You've got mail" is, of course, a bit of marketing strategy - for some reason, "You have mail!" doesn't sound as snazzy, even if it is grammatically correct.
Topic: capitalization vs. everything in lowercase.
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 2:48:29 AM
As a music reviewer, I can back up the "preposition words shouldn't be capitalized" rule, though some artists capitalize them on purpose sometimes, perhaps to be edgy. It's akin to lower case usage, such as the band Eels often referring to themselves as "eels" on records.
Topic: words associated with the idea of pain and suffering.
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 2:40:57 AM
I can't believe no one's said "diarrhea" yet.
Topic: rhetoric.
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 2:37:57 AM
If you want to talk politics, "change" is a dead, dead horse thanks to Obama, while "resolve" was beat to death by Bush.
Topic: What's the most interesting thing you know?
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 2:30:33 AM
bugdoctor wrote:
I know that I'm certain of very little. However, I suspect a lot.

Socrates: "All I know is that I know nothing."
Topic: Evolutionism?
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 2:27:33 AM
Epiphileon wrote:
kaliedel wrote:
Is there a reason we're calling it "evolutionism" and not "evolution?" I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

I have heard this done before, in those cases it was done to assert the notion that the two points of view have equal credibility.

So is Evolutionism another name for the composite belief of creationism (or belief in God, specifically) and evolution? I know for a fact there are plenty of people who think the two do not contradict each other.
Topic: Ethnicity
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2009 2:25:47 AM
There are also the EOE laws in the US, where companies must ask about ethnicity to comply with certain rules and standards (though it, too, is entirely voluntary and private.)
Topic: transliteration.
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:17:16 AM
prolixitysquared wrote:
Does anyone know the history of developing sounds in languages without the use of an alphabet ?

I have no idea, but I sure am curious as to if it exists, especially in the modern world.
Topic: What is happiness?
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:13:13 AM
Rhondish wrote:

I think too many people think success and happiness are synonymous.

Guilty as charged, though I realize it's not. It sure explains a lot about society, don't it?