[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Windows Vista
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:05:54 PM
I hate it.
Topic: Let's play a game!
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:44:36 PM
VROOM --> GROOM
Topic: when books are turned into films.
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:36:33 PM
I am not a fan of film adaptations of books. I don't object to the idea in theory, but the execution is often so poor that it makes adaption seem like a bad idea in general.

Reading a book and seeing a movie are wildly different experiences, and I don't expect to have the same experience reading a book and seeing a film based on the book. The most jarring experience in this regard for me is when I've read something and have formed a visual image of a person or place and the film version deviates widely from my mental picture. It's terribly distracting. For instance, I like reading the Elizabeth George detective series with Inspector Linley. The casting in the BBC episodes is SO far off, I can't watch it.

One book I LOVED to read was The Shipping News because I think Annie Proulx has a beautiful way with language. I also thoroughly enjoyed the movie, not because of the pleasure the language offered but because I thought Kevin Spacey in particular did a spectacular job with the character. That example makes me think it's possible to have excellent experiences with the same story in different media, but it's a judgment I make case by case.
Topic: Preserving the Forum
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:16:50 PM
I'm very glad that WordLover raised this issue. This is a not general-purpose forum on a general-purpose website. It's TheFreeDictionary Language forum. How much clearer does the purpose and the focus have to be? Thank you, WordLover!

That being said, however, I realize that my reaction to topics have everything to do with my level of interest in them. Child-rearing and pills? Zero interest, hence I think they don't belong here. Movies and cool websites? I'm all over them and happily contribute. I'm inconsistent and self-interested.

I think we need more direction--and perhaps more intervention--from Farlex.

Topic: Your Top 5 Films
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:56:46 PM
There are some movies that I will watch anytime they come on. They are my escapist, guilty pleasures:

Major League
Overboard
Shawshank Redemption
Sixth Sense
Die Hard (only the first one)

Then there are others I like and don't feel I need to explain why:

Dr. Strangelove
The Usual Suspects
Citizen Kane
The Third Man
To Kill a Mockingbird

Topic: words that sound prettier in other languages.
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:46:19 PM
I've always liked the French word aujourd'hui, which means "today."
Topic: Phrases that describe people's appearances
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:42:29 PM
it depends on what and whom you're trying to describe. can you give us some idea of what you're trying to portray? some other phrases in the meantime:

a doughy face
empty eyes
dead eyes
almond eyes
skin as smooth as a baby's behind
ruddy complexion
alabaster skin
furrowed brow
aquiline nose
button nose
rugged features
pouty mouth
cupid-bow mouth
snaggle-toothed
clear-eyed

Topic: How do you describe a place with a great number of people?
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:34:24 PM
Mr. 19, are you trying to complete the sentence, "There were so many people that..."?

If so, here are some options:

you couldn't count them all
we could not breathe
we could not move
we could not see the floor
we had to take turns sitting
i was swept along with the crowd and my feet did not touch the floor
the doors could not close
Topic: What's the synonym of cookie-cutter?
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:23:20 PM
When you're talking about "cookie-cutter" or formulaic language, the word "boilerplate" might be considered a synonym.
Topic: Pretty Ugly Oxymorons
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:19:46 PM
how about "act naturally" or "united nations"?