Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3
[0.00% of all post / 0.75 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I about to died!
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2021 10:43:42 PM
tautophile wrote:
"I about to died" is a very slangy hyperbolic or exaggerated expression meaning "I just about died" or "I was about to have died", meaning I was so surprised that I (felt as if I) almost died of the shock or surprised (of seeing or experiencing whatever it was I saw or experienced). [...]

Hi tautophile.

Thanks. Are you sure your latter interpretation is "I was about to have died," not "I 'am' about to have died" or "I was about to 'die'"? I take yours to mean "I had been dying and soon after the point of this utterance I would be done dying." (I am not a native speaker, so I would be totally wrong)
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2021 10:34:34 PM
It is in use by a certain percentage of people according to my small-scale survey (n = approx.130) across the nation. However, it was hard to ascertain any concentrated areas of the affirmative respondents because of the size.
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2021 7:48:40 AM
Hi.

Just curious where the usage of the dialectal 'I about to died!' centers around. Southeastern U.S.? Texas? 'Everybody's All American' is staged in North Carolina and uses the expression.