mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Profile: Russell Oxendine
About
User Name: Russell Oxendine
Forum Rank: Newbie
Gender: None Specified
Statistics
Joined: Saturday, May 15, 2021
Last Visit: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 4:15:10 PM
Number of Posts: 12
[0.00% of all post / 0.34 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: compromise peace
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 4:14:04 PM
Semi-Peace!...Think Pray
Topic: Carbon-14-dated dinosaur bones
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 4:08:13 PM
Reiko07 wrote:
thar wrote:
... carbon-14 dating only works up to 40,000 or 50,000 years,

I disagree. Carbon-14 dating is totally unreliable.

thar wrote:
... the remaining ones gradually became extinct or evolved into birds, the group with that name ended.

I don't think anybody has proved that.




Agree!...
Topic: Can the period be placed inside the quotation marks?
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 8:55:40 PM
Either or...
Topic: CO2 is at its highest level in 4 million years
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 1:54:10 PM
How can we know what the levels were 4 million years ago?...
Topic: let go and let God
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 11:51:08 AM
monamagda wrote:


Emel Rapchan wrote:



Beautiful quotes!!!!...Really enjoyed them!!!
Topic: Paradigm Shift
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2021 11:42:32 AM
I ONLY see a duck...
Topic: Antarctica is melting
Posted: Friday, June 4, 2021 2:03:17 PM
I concur with FounDit!...
Topic: stars exploding with a very specific mass ...
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2021 4:04:12 PM
FounDit wrote:
Reiko07 wrote:
The mysterious substance known as dark energy thought to be pushing the universe apart at ever greater speeds may be nothing more than an artefact of our acceleration through a local patch of the universe. That is the controversial claim of a group of physicists who reckon they have found flaws in the evidence underpinning the Nobel-prize winning discovery of cosmic acceleration. The dispute centres on exploded stars known as type Ia supernovae, which allow researchers to calculate cosmic distances and rates of expansion.

Type Ia supernovae are known as “standard candles” since they are generated by stars exploding with a very specific mass and therefore known absolute brightness. By observing these objects’ apparent brightness, astronomers can work out how far they are (in space and therefore time), and by combining that information with the red shift in their emitted light can then calculate how fast the universe was expanding at that point in time.

https://physicsworld.com/a/dark-energy-debate-reignited-by-controversial-analysis-of-supernovae-data/

Question: Is exploding a present participle or a gerund?

It looks like a present participle to me.



Ditto!
Topic: What does "two distinct visitors" mean?
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2021 3:22:57 PM
thar wrote:
Distinct is not the right word, I think they mean different - . ie no more than two individuals.
The same person can visit many times, and only counts as one visitor.



agree!
Topic: unexplained anxiety attacks
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2021 11:16:28 AM
thar wrote:
the term 'anxiety attack' is a known compound noun. Like a 'heart attack'. So these are anxiety attacks that are unexplained. Ie you don't know why you are having an anxiety attack.

it is not an attack of unexplained anxiety, because an attack of anxiety is different from an 'anxiety attack', which is a specific set of symptoms.

So although grammatically you might read it as attack of unexpected anxiety, where 'unexplained' modifies 'anxiety' it is actually like an "unexpected heart attack". It is the attack that is unexpected, not the heart!



In this case it actually produces a similar result of meaning, because the anxiety comes on unexpectedly. What is specific to that meaning though is that it causes a specific 'anxiety attack' with a specific set of symptoms.


If I suddenly get worried about something, I might have an attack of anxiety. I am worried, distracted, anxious.

I have trouble breathing, racing heart, chest pain, feel I am going to pass out - that is an anxiety attack. (not within my personal knowledge, but you get the point). That can be expected sometimes. If a person scared of small spaces is trapped in a lift, it is expected that they might have an anxiety attack. That is not neurosis. But if the fears are generated more randomly, then the attacks might be unexpected. That is neurosis.




My explanation veered rather more into medicine than I had intended, and I really know nothing about this area of medicine, so I might have got major points wrong there.
But in answering your question, that part I am confident about.






I concur!....Nice explanation!...