User Name: JessiWan
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 20
[0.00% of all post / 0.83 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Humorous writing
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 6:41:10 PM
Hello. I am reading a book where the author speaks in a humorous tone. She is describing the kind of criminal someone might be, if sociopathy became the new world order. She said this: "There is one particular international organization that would suit you down to the ground: a respectable family concern, run on traditional lines; where everyone is looked after unless they are very naughty boys, and where mom is king; where slights are taken seriously and properly punished. I think you know what I mean".

And I, as a matter of fact, do NOT know when she means. If I were to guess, I'd say she is describing the mafia. But I really don't know. What do you think she means? Thanks.
Topic: "Agenda" <vs> "ulterior motive"
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 6:30:19 PM
Hello. I think that these two terms, "agenda" and "ulterior motive", are very similar, right? Just wondering if there is any difference or if they are completely interchangeable.

Context: Mark puts his cards on the table. He has no agenda.

Context 2: Mary is not usually the type to help people out financially. So when she said she would loan me the money, I thought that she must have some ulterior motives for doing so.

Thanks.
Topic: When someone speaks in a crude way
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 6:26:46 PM
Forget my example, please. It wasn't a very good one. What I am trying to do is make a distinction between simply being rude, and being crude. I want to find out how to describe it when someone speaks in a crude (but technically not rude) way. Thanks.

Like, just imagine in your mind when someone is speaking in a crude manner, whatever it might be. I just want to know how you would describe this.
Topic: When someone speaks in a crude way
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 4:39:51 PM
Hello. I want to describe someone who talks in a certain way. He is not exactly being rude or swearing, however the way he speaks is just crude. For example, when he sees an attractive woman, perhaps he will say, "Oh my god, I just creamed my pants". That sort of things.

So far, I have:

1. He is coarse in speech.
2. He is boorish in speech.
3. He talks in a crude way.
4. He talks crudely.
5. He is crude.

I am just wondering if any of these describes what I want to say, or if there is a better way.

Thanks.
Topic: Let us know
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 12:49:41 PM
Thank you.
Topic: Let us know
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 12:35:07 PM
Hello. Imagine that I am talking to someone. She says she wants to message this guy she likes. So I say, "Yeah, message him and let us know how it went/goes".

My question: should it be present tense or past tense? Should I use "went", or "goes"? It is an event that will happen in the future, however, by the time she tells me about it, it will have been something that happened in the past. So I am not sure. Please help, thanks.
Topic: China v porcelain
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 12:25:54 PM
Thank you sir.
Topic: China v porcelain
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 12:12:50 PM
Hello. I wish to know whether china and porcelain are the same or different, in terms of language. I emphasize "in terms of language" because I don't want to get into the actual, real, physical difference between them, their composition and usage etc. I just need to know whether I can say one or the other and people will still know what I mean.

Thanks.
Topic: Did Jesus really rise from the dead?
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 9:30:08 AM
I want to know that whether Jesus' resurrection was a historical event. It's the same as any other historical event, which can be proven. For example, did Caesar exit? Yes he did and it can be proven, because there are records written about him. Records that can be verified. And this is what I am seeking when it comes to Jesus' supposed resurrection. I mentioned I did not want to hear from Christians because to them it's not merely a historical event, to them it's about their faith. And I am not interested in faith. I want facts. And just to be very clear, what I said is not meant as an attack on your faith. I simply want to know, that's all.
Topic: B!tchslap v slap
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2021 12:06:39 PM
Thanks for the admonition.

You mention that slap is striking someone with the flat of one's hand. So my new question is, what is the physical difference between bitch-slap and a regular slap? The way I understand bitch-slap, it is also striking someone with the flat of one's hand.

Thanks.