mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Profile: Bathcoup
About
User Name: Bathcoup
Forum Rank: Member
Gender: None Specified
Statistics
Joined: Wednesday, February 24, 2021
Last Visit: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 4:05:35 PM
Number of Posts: 59
[0.01% of all post / 1.04 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: a face mask/masks
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 3:56:56 PM
It sounds as if the speaker knows that those wearing face masks have the ability to slow the pandemic, and she is asking for a favour.

"Would everyone wearing a face mask help us slow the pandemic?" - Maybe this is a bit better.
Topic: Position of adverbs
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 1:09:15 PM
JessiWan wrote:
Hello. I always have trouble with adverbs and where they fall in a sentence. And today, I have encountered two sentences in which the adverb is placed differently yet they both appear correct to me.

1. Researchers found that women performed equally to men on a science quiz, and yet women underestimated their performance because they believed they had less scientific reasoning ability than men.


A and B performed equally (well).
A and B worked equally well.
A works on X. It works equally well on Y (in certain condition).

I'm familiar with the above usages. Is "A performed equally to B" acceptable nowadays? The world we are living in now is like, anything can be not wrong.

Topic: just like a hungry wolf would devour a/its prey
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2021 12:13:49 PM
Write Edge wrote:
This one is correct- Jack ate his steak ravenously, like a hungry wolf devouring its prey.


When I first read the above post a few days ago, I couldn’t help feeling something blowing in my face - it’s the air of authority from the comment! I wasn't sure that I wanted to spend more time on this thread. Now a prank by the same poster’s https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst207930_Which-is-correct-.aspx
brought me back and I thought I may as well say a few words.

The sentence "Jack ate his steak ravenously, like a hungry wolf devouring its prey."
has serious problems. First, how would you feel if Jack is your friend, a family member, or indeed yourself? Second, the sentence suggests “a wolf devouring its prey” is a familiar sight but in reality, they usually share their prey, typically a large ungulate like a deer. (Strictly speaking congruence requires Jack ate a cow raw.) Third, it’s a "good" example of pleonasm. You see on words like “ravenously”, “hungry” or “devouring” in the phrase “eat like a pig” yet it conveys the intended meaning with precision.

In a precious post I said Sentence (2) is slightly better as it sounds a bit less personal because of its structure and length, and “would” signifies that “a single wolf devouring” is an imagined scene. People discuss grammar on this forum; Sensitivity is not an issue. Now because Jack’s steak had a fixed size, the focus must be on his table manner. Therefore, I'd suggest: "Jack ate his steak like a wild dog."
Topic: have been or had been?
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2021 1:22:25 PM
foreign affairs – They interact with other countries.
his affairs -- William interacts with other waiters. “his affair” would normally refer to a single event.

The Inconsiderate Waiter is William, probably a head waiter, so the story should be mainly about things that have taken place after William got the protagonist into a situation that circumstances forced him to interact with the other waiters. This is why I said in my last post that it was a long time ago - I assume it’s a long story.

That the protagonist describes “those puzzling faces” in present tense may give the impression that things have happened fairly recently. However, from MarchSky's second post, it’s apparent that the author wrote using “narrative present”, a temporal reference point that moves along as the story unfolds. You need to bear this in mind if you attempt to reconstruct the timeline.
Topic: Which is correct?
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 5:48:31 PM
Reiko07 wrote:
HI, Bathcoup. I'm not Write Edge.


Reiko07, of course I wasn't blaming you. I thought I made it reasonably clear by quoting Write Edge and mentioning that Write Edge commented on the other thread. Perhaps, I should have specifically pointed out that you, not Write Edge, started the other thread.

Write Edge, I'm not after an explanation, so don't post anything unless you have a genuine question or something useful to share.
Topic: Which is correct?
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 4:13:12 PM
Write Edge wrote:
(1) Jack ate steak ravenously, just like a hungry wolf would devour a prey.

(2) Jack ate steak ravenously, just like a hungry wolf would devour its prey.

Question: Which is correct?


Stop being manipulative!

You're pretending to be a learner, having genuine questions. The fact is you just took the two questions from another thread:

https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst207588_just-like-a-hungry-wolf-would-devour-a-its-prey.aspx

On the other thread, the sentences have been extensively discussed and you aired your view with confidence. Now you have carefully removed the word his and then repost them here. Please don't waste other's time!
Topic: make sure + tense
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2021 4:11:33 AM
The original sentence could be right for some complex situation but it would confuse most people.

Coast Guard officials said they (have) had been working to make sure future notifications reached the right people.

The above may be what's meant to be. The second sentence looks fine.

I don't know how to do "strikethrough", perhaps someone can teach me.
Ivan Fadeev - Where did you find the sentence, in a book/newspaper or on a blog?
Topic: We did a science
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 3:59:33 AM
They made a scene. We did a science. (We did a thing, a science one) - I didn't watch the video but agree that the presenter is trying to impress the audience with funny language.
Topic: have been or had been?
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 1:46:08 PM
I second MarchSky's conclusion.

Although I have been in the club for twenty years, my knowledge about them (the waiters) would have been no more than "all I did know of the private life of waiters" before "William forced his affairs upon me."

William's influence started long before his inconsiderateness became constant in last few months. The author emphasises how big a change William has made. If the author wishes to emphasis the contrast between "his little knowledge" and "the length" he had already been in the club, he's more than able to express it.

EDIT: Technically, a comma is needed after "affairs upon me". I interpret "a pair of spectacles" as a metaphor for "constant presence" - I'm only guessing.
Topic: since he left
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2021 5:01:22 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
In normal English, "I've been here since he left" says absolutely nothing about what occurred before he left.
You simply can't say the above unless you know what situation it is supposed to describe.
I may have been here, I may have been somewhere else.

It would be common to add a word or two to clarify, if needed.

"I've been here ever since he left" implies that I arrived at that time. - Not applicable to the situation.
"I've been here only since he left" SAYS that I wasn't here before. - Not applicable to the situation.
"I've been here since before he left" says specifically that I was here earlier. - This was in my previous post. Your point? Are you dismissing or recommending it for azz's situation?


Thanks for your response.
Sarrriesfan, Your examples may be useful for illustrating your point, which is slightly off-topic. I'll write a few lines at a later time.
Drag0nspeaker, I've inserted some comments (see above). Everything I'm writing here is based on my understanding, which is summarised below.

Azz has proposed a situation: “I was here even before he left” and “I have been here since he left.
(A more verbose version: I came here before he left, had stayed here until he left, and have been here since he left.)

Question: Can Sentence (a) "I have been here since he left." be used to describe the situation?

The above is my understanding. It's clear to me azz is seeking a information-giving statement, a complete sentence similar to Sentence (a) to describe the duration of my being here.