Statistics
Number of Posts: 51
[0.00% of all post / 0.33 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is "brown colour" correct?
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 3:04:55 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
The One And Only Emily wrote:
It can be. It is just a british version of the word 'color.' Unless You wanted to use the american word 'color,' you can use the word 'colour.'

Thanks!

I'm not thinking of the spelling. I have been told that one cannot say "brown colour" but "colour brown" is ok. For example, one can say "I like the colour brown", but not "I like brown colour."

Oh, okay! By the way, you're welcome! ;)
Topic: Link Description
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 2:04:55 PM
What is a link description?
Topic: Time is up. / It's time.
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 1:53:31 PM
In that sentence, I think 'it's time' would make more sense.
Topic: For Tara2
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 1:51:22 PM
Oh, I see know! Thanks!
Topic: Is "brown colour" correct?
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 1:39:55 PM
It can be. It is just a british version of the word 'color.' Unless You wanted to use the american word 'color,' you can use the word 'colour.'
Topic: So, it’s cool ? the wind.
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 1:35:06 PM
I think the best would be 'because of', because it makes the most sense to me.
Topic: When the police knocked
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 1:32:04 PM
Here is my example:

When the police knocked at Anna's door to inform her that her son had been stabbed to death, she fainted from shock. She came to the hospital a few minutes later, looking at the two pairs of eyes of paramedics who reassured her that everything would be OK. Anna's firstborn son had been killed not long ago in gang violence, and now this second loss of her other child was too much for the poor single mother. When she was left alone, she thought of taking her own life. She had given everything she could to her children. She walked in her shoes until they were full of holes and impossible to repair, she seldom bought clothes, and never went on holiday only to be able to save more money for them, but now that they had gone forever, her existence had become meaningless. How life can be cruel, she thought, trying in vain to wipe off her tears, which didn't want to stop. [/quote]

Topic: in/on the morning
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 12:28:47 PM
Write Edge wrote:
We use "in" with morning, afternoon, evening and night, but we use "on" when we talk about a specific morning, afternoon, etc., or when we describe the part of the day.

You are correct! It shouldn't be in the morning, but on the morning, like this: 'on the morning on Wednesday.'
Topic: "hit" or "has hit"
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 12:24:44 PM
Audiendus wrote:
The One And Only Emily wrote:
while hit is in the present tense

No, it is in the past tense here.

Oh, thanks!
Topic: Errors in the Dictionary
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 12:23:24 PM
tautophile wrote:
There's a famous limerick about a very smart fellow whose job was to preserve food in tins, and the conversation he had with his grandmother:

A canner, exceedingly canny.
One evening remarked to his granny,
"A canner can can
Anything he can can,
But a canner can't can a can, can he?"

Nice Limerick! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause