Statistics
Number of Posts: 77
[0.01% of all post / 0.38 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: how to say a city has a lot of oil
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 4:02:11 PM
FounDit wrote:
alpacinou wrote:
I'm looking for ways to express that a city has a lot of oil.

Does this work?

The city lies on a sea of oil, surrounded by a giant oil field. Is "surrounded" the correct word?
Both of yours are good. How about: floats over an ocean of oil; sits on a sea of oil; broods over an ocean of oil like a mother hen; hovers over a vast expanse of underground oil;

Are there other ways?

Also, what can I say about oil wells surrounding a city and how their flames lights up the sky?
Black candlesticks torching the night sky; black towers with flames licking the night air; burning incense towers of petroleum;

Thank you so much.Dancing You made my day. Applause
Topic: how to say a city has a lot of oil
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 6:47:23 AM
I'm looking for ways to express that a city has a lot of oil.

Does this work?

The city lies on a sea of oil, surrounded by a giant oil field. Is "surrounded" the correct word?

Are there other ways?

Also, what can I say about oil wells surrounding a city and how their flames lights up the sky?
Topic: when you walk into a school
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 2:22:27 PM
Imagine you enter a school yard full of students. What are some of the verbs and words you would use to describe the sounds you hear (children shouting, laughing, talking, etc) and the sights you see (the movement of children, a lot of students with the same uniform playing, students running and jumping up and down, etc)
Topic: Describe open door shadow and light
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 3:18:52 PM
FounDit wrote:
alpacinoutd wrote:

I'm trying to describe a situation like this?

How can I?

The door opened, shedding a corridor of light onto the floor of the dark bedroom. A few seconds later, a stretched shadow appeared in the corridor of light and appeared to be moving closer.

I know it needs work!

It's good. I would only suggest you omit the word "bedroom" since there is nothing in the picture to suggest anything but an empty room.

You could say, "The door opened into the darkened, empty room, casting a corridor of light onto the floor. The shadow of a figure stretched itself along that channel of light, indicating someone might be about to enter".

Thank you so much.Applause
Topic: Describe open door shadow and light
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2021 3:41:53 PM

I'm trying to describe a situation like this?

How can I?

The door opened, shedding a corridor of light onto the floor of the dark bedroom. A few seconds later, a stretched shadow appeared in the corridor of light and appeared to be moving closer.

I know it needs work!
Topic: vocabulary to describe Château
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2021 10:34:46 AM
thar wrote:
Those are good but all fairly similar. You might want to think about
colours
shapes
lustre (shininess), textures
height, space
delicacy/strength

And your words have a subtext of judgement (which is good - you can't look at a place like that without judging it). Ie you bring your own experience - is it a beautiful tribute to a glorious age or a tasteless show of wealth that epitomised the society that spawned a violent revolution? So what about:
your reaction to it - emotions, reactions, feelings, contradictions

Would you please write a short piece about the palace and how it makes you feel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5iT2vxnhb4

I could use a model.
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2021 1:13:41 PM
Good point. Thanks.

thar wrote:

And your words have a subtext of judgement (which is good - you can't look at a place like that without judging it). Ie you bring your own experience - is it a beautiful tribute to a glorious age or a tasteless show of wealth that epitomised the society that spawned a violent revolution? So what about:
your reaction to it - emotions, reactions, feelings, contradictions
Topic: words to describe your favorite singer
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2021 1:13:03 PM
How would you describe the voice of your favorite singer?

Can I use "silvery"? For example: Elvis Presley had a silvery voice.

I already know words like: pleasant, sweet, lovely, husky, sonorous.

But I was hoping to find something unusual and interesting like silvery.
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2021 12:53:09 PM
Hello all.

I need vocabulary to describe Château de Versailles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5iT2vxnhb4

I've found these words so far: sumptuous, extravagant, gilded ceilings,opulent grandeur, regal splendor

Do you have other suggestions?
Topic: The is a windless city and the air is still
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2020 3:58:14 PM
That is a nice piece.Applause

I live in a very polluted city indeed where cars from the 20th century still operate! Maybe that's why my description conjures up images of a 20th century city!

Would you be so kind to write your whole description in one flowing piece?

Romany wrote:

Have you ever lived/visited in a really polluted city?

I would have thought that the fact that it's brownish, and the sun is a dirty brown slit, that is the main - and most hated - property of pollution? That eerie, yellow-brownness that makes everything look sepia-coloured, like an old photograph?

'Smog' was indeed a mixture of smoke and other irritants and was a phenomena that was a by-product of the Industrial Revolution.

We have at least advanced enough by now to have chimneys belching smoke in every street; and modern pollution has very little to do with smoke in comparison to the days of smog. (Smoke & Fog = 'smog'.

Millions upon millions of people live in heavily-polluted cities on most continents. They are really familiar with it: it's their life.

But your description, unfortunately, sounds more reminiscent of a London 'pea-souper' in the early 20th Century.Rather than to the burning, eye-itching, irritation of the skin, and dingy pall of polluted cities in the 21st Century. Where nothing - not the tops of buildings; not the sun; never the stars - rises above the suffocating, brown, miasma.