Profile: InfoSister
About
User Name: InfoSister
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 73
[0.01% of all post / 0.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Long ago, before I had ever seen a diamond, I read about them and I tried to imagine what they would be like ... When I saw a...
Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2021 8:24:39 AM
"Long ago, before I had ever seen a diamond, I read about them and I tried to imagine what they would be like ... When I saw a real diamond in a lady's ring one day I was so disappointed I cried. Of course, it was very lovely but it wasn't my idea of a diamond."

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

Thank you, monamagda, for the context of the quote. While the quote is able to stand on its own, the context just serves to show better the unbridled optimism of the protagonist. When one's expectations don't match reality, one shall be disappointed.
Topic: Birth, n.: The first and direst of all disasters.
Posted: Friday, May 7, 2021 1:46:05 PM
"Birth, n.: The first and direst of all disasters."

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

It is essential to remember that Mr. Bierce is a satirist, not a philosopher. Yet, in a way, he is rather accurate here. For the unborn child, the change which happens with birth can be considered a disaster; what they will find out, as they live and grow, is that it is also the ground floor of the greatest of opportunities and, of course, an unmerited gift.
Topic: The world is quickly bored by the recital of misfortune, and willingly avoids the sight of distress.
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 2:42:27 PM
The world is quickly bored by the recital of misfortune, and willingly avoids the sight of distress.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)

Thank you, monamagda, for the full context of the quote. Unfortunately, this is true. It is evidenced by how quickly we forget the tragedies which parade before our eyes at all hours on the news: they always change, but are never resolved because an in-depth story with committed action would not "sell papers".
Topic: I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't...
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2021 7:05:25 PM
I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose would be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk cabbage.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

The essence of being can be captured in a name. Names are powerful and I agree that whilst the olfactory sensation would not be changed by the use of a different name, the associations with the name would change and perhaps not be categorized as 'sweet'.
Topic: If you know what a man's doing, get in front of him; but if you want to guess what he's doing, keep behind him.
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2021 4:27:47 PM
If you know what a man's doing, get in front of him; but if you want to guess what he's doing, keep behind him.

Gilbert Chesterton (1874-1936)

Oh, my beloved Chesterton! Such sage advice, even in a mystery novel!
Topic: That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day...
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2021 10:31:55 PM
"That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been."

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Thank you again, monamagda, for the more complete context. I can only reply to Adyl Mouhei that I feel very sorry for you if you have not realized the impact of divine providence in your life--not even once?! And to Bully rus I reply that: no, it is not a lucky strike and does not take years of practice; every moment can be life altering if you know how to live it fully.
Topic: Ah! how delicious it is to turn over and go to sleep again: "just for five minutes." Is there any human being, I wonder,...
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2021 3:22:54 PM
Ah! how delicious it is to turn over and go to sleep again: "just for five minutes." Is there any human being, I wonder, besides the hero of a Sunday-school "tale for boys," who ever gets up willingly?

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

Funny, but I have not had the luxury of turning over to go to sleep again "just for five minutes' in over 35 years (since my college days). I suppose I get up willingly as I prefer to eat, have a roof over my head and clothes on my back than to starve, be homeless and clothe-less!
Topic: It is not the office of a man to receive gifts ... We wish to be self-sustained. We do not quite forgive a giver. The hand...
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 9:07:38 PM
It is not the office of a man to receive gifts ... We wish to be self-sustained. We do not quite forgive a giver. The hand that feeds us is in some danger of being bitten.

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

The full context of the quote (Monamagda rules!Dancing ) shows that the gifts to which Emerson is referring are those that are NOT endowed by love, not a part of one's self. After all, love is what all of us crave. But if we think that the gift is dismissive, a sop thrown to us to 'get rid of you'; then, yes, we will not forgive a 'giver' because it was not a true gift of love.
Topic: Trusting no man as his friend, he could not recognize his enemy when the latter actually appeared.
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 10:02:14 PM
"Trusting no man as his friend, he could not recognize his enemy when the latter actually appeared."

Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864)

A guilty conscience will blind us to the truth. How blessed are those who are able to cleanse their souls through confession!
Topic: Time has laid his healing hand upon the wound when we can look back upon the pain we once fainted under and no bitterness or...
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2021 6:58:25 PM
"Time has laid his healing hand upon the wound when we can look back upon the pain we once fainted under and no bitterness or despair rises in our hearts."

Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

The significant qualifier in this quote is 'his healing hand': not all passage of time is healing. There are many who, after a great length of time, are not able to forgive the pain; who hold bitterness and despair in their hearts rather than forgiveness and peace. In order for time's hand to be healing, we must want to be healed and to forgive. It all begins with an act of the will on the part of the offended person.