User Name: Hasib Rahman
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 481
[0.04% of all post / 0.62 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I think to myself.....
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2022 4:27:06 PM
Do both of them mean the same thing? If not, please explain why. I had a hard time understanding the first sentence due to its grammatical issues. Is the first one a "mixed conditional sentence"?

1) I think to myself now that if I didn't have that pen knife from my father I would be dead and my mom, grandma and grandfather would be as well.

2) I think to myself now that if I hadn't had that pen knife from my father I would have been dead/died and my mom, grandma and grandfather would have been as well.
Topic: to have come
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2022 1:00:58 PM
Is there any other way of saying this sentence? What is the difference between "to have come" and "to come"?

▪ There was nowhere for a rock that size to have come from.
Topic: Not trying to boast
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2022 5:40:54 AM
Could anyone please explain the parts in bold with examples.

▪ Not trying to boast – but we rate ourselves pretty highly when it comes to brain teasers and riddles. So when we first saw this holey t-shirt puzzle, we thought we had it figured out in seconds. The illustration – developed by Bright Side – challenges players to spot how many holes there are in this white t-shirt. And the creators claim only 17 percent of people will answer it correctly. So how well will you do? At first glance, it looks like there are just two holes in the top – right? Well in order for players to be able to see straight through the t-shirt, that means there must be two corresponding holes on the back too – which takes the total to four. However, that’s not it – as the riddle also wants you to take into account the holes for arms and head. Once you’ve added all those up, you’re left with seven. But before you log that as your final answer, don’t forget the hole at the very bottom which allows you to put the top on in the first place. In total, that takes it up to eight holes – which is six more than we originally thought. Whoops.
Topic: Feeling frightened I
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2022 3:49:25 PM
Are these sentences grammatically correct and natural enough?

1) Feeling frightened I fell from the bed tearing/ripping the mosquito net while having a nightmare yesterday.

2) While walking quickly today, I stumbled my little toe on a small broken brick so hard that the nail on it got broken into two and caused much bleeding.
Topic: It would have been all.....
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 1:32:45 AM
Could anyone please explain these parts in bold with examples?

1) It would have been all too easy to write this dog off as a lost cause, his trauma was so severe.

2) I mean he is not lying even then without a deposition it’s true

3) It’s amazing that a voice as painfully grating as Peterson’s can also put me to sleep so quickly.

4) You can't legislate away hate nor can you violence.
Topic: It's a wrap for MacDonald's....
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2022 4:11:08 PM
Could anyone please explain the parts in bold with examples? Can I use "flourished" instead of "flourishing"? If not, please explain why.

▪ It's a wrap for MacDonald's in Russia! Workers have begun removing the iconic arches. The fast food restaurants in the region will now be sold and rebranded. 30 years ago the brand coming to Russia, symbolized hope and flourishing American capitalism. Now with Russia's invasion in Ukraine MacDonald's has become one of the high profile companies to oppose what's unfolding.
Topic: Well, say goodbye to
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2022 11:15:53 AM
Is there any difference in meaning between these two sentences?

1) Well, say goodbye to having children!
2) Well, say goodbye to have children!

Context: There isn't a scale big enough to measure all the pain from a metal ball in the nuts. Well, say goodbye to having children, man!
Topic: This guy has some....
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2022 5:13:40 PM
Could anyone please explain these parts in bold with example sentences?

▪ This guy has some fresh heresy that will condemn you to the pit of hell if you're into that kind of thing.
Topic: pulling the strings of a.....
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2022 7:34:10 PM
Thanks both of you. Could you please explain what 'compromised fool' actually mean with examples ?
Topic: pulling the strings of a.....
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2022 10:51:08 AM
Could anyone plz explain the part in bold with examples?

▪ Ana Navarro says "Putin knows he's no longer a puppet master pulling the strings of a compromised fool "