Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 128
[0.01% of all post / 0.44 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: To inform one's thinking
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2020 4:01:29 AM
Hi there,

Thank you so much, Thar, now it's crystal clear! 

I think I misused the word "expression". I thought that the words "inform your mind", when together, had a different (or slightly different) meaning than used in separated circumstances. I thought they were somehow idiomatic... That said, thank you so much, DragOnspeaker I really appreciated, as it is quite rare that someone corrects my mistakes!

Thank you guys!
Enjoy your day,
Ama
Topic: To inform one's thinking
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 2:30:31 PM
Hey guys!

Here is my doubt for today: When you say "to inform one's thinking about something"... how do you exactly use the term "inform"?

Is it more about getting information about something? Like to know more things about something?
Or the stress is more on the meaning "to animate or inspire."?

To make a long story short...
What does the expression mean?

I appreciate in advance...

Amarillide
Topic: low level violin learner
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 2:42:26 PM
Drag0nspeaker, you nailed it... I had no clue of these differences!
Thank you for the video!

Romany, your encomium of the Pun is actually a poem! 

I definitely endorse what Hope123 said about this blessed forum! 

Boo hoo!
Ama
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 7:55:51 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

"among my trivial endeavors I can list being a shoddy violin learner and..." sounds good to me.

That's cool, this was my first take, but sometimes, when I have to write in English I become extremely unconfident, I feel like everything I write may sound weird! Thank you!

Romany wrote:

"Every once in a while I fiddle about with X" (if x did represent a violin that is a deliberate pun.)

That's a nice one, but as a nonmother tongue I often refrain to play too much around with language (at least for now): the reason is that, on many occasions, I have noticed that when a use a pun or an intentional slightly unusual combination of words (for example splitting common occurrences) is often perceived as a mistake... but I'll keep it aside for the future! Dancing

All of your posts have something new and interesting, thank you, everyone, for the nice suggestions and new expressions! 
Take care... now I'll go back pottering aroundAngel
Xx
Ama
Topic: Can't help + ing in a positive meaning
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 1:49:44 PM
Thank you Tautophile!
Just now I am listening to Elle Fizz Gerald singing it! That's incredibly smooth...
Xx
Ama
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 12:42:16 PM
Thank you for your quick reply DragOnspeaker,
and for the new expression, I have just learned "to dabble in something"! Lovely.
Also, reading your replies, I have just realized that I am looking for a more deprecative term!
Of course, I am talking about me Anxious , and I would like to stress the self denigratory tone... I don't know why... maybe because I list the activity among my "trivial (or frivolous, I don't know yet) endeavors": I suspect this last expression sounds a bit higher register, and I like how it would clash with a lower image afterward... something like "among my trivial endeavors I can list being a shoddy violin learner and..." 

Thank you for bearing with me!
Ama
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 12:03:04 PM
Hi there, 
I am looking for a good adjective that would be ideal to describe a violin learner that's imperfect and that is not interested in getting perfect. Someone that just learn for the pleasure of learning and with no consistency, and with no other aim than thrumming every now and then. 
The statement is said with a kind of self-mockery attitude, so I guess that if the word I am looking foo may sound offensive in another contest, here it should just sound ok. Of course, I am not looking for a word that conveys all that meaning ( that would be impossible, I guess), but just for something that gives an idea.

I thought something like "frivolous violin learner" "shoddy violin learner" "extra low level violin learner" "junky violin learner"... but since I haven't found any of these expressions online I thought that they may sound too weird...

I hope I'll get some ideas!
Thank you in advance,
Boo hoo!
Amarillide
Topic: Can't help + ing in a positive meaning
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 11:34:12 AM
Hi there!
I was wondering of you can you use the formula "can't help + being" in a positive way.
More specifically, does the phrase "This is problaby the only activity can't help being meticulous and getting as close as possible to perfection"sounds weird by any mean? I thought there may be better and smarter formulas to convey the meaning and I am just not aware them.

Thank you in advance, 
Amarillide
Topic: In opposition
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 1:20:31 AM
Good morning guys,

It was written nowadays, but it is about the beginning of the XX century. 

The Romany interpretation of "the constant progress" as "the slow and steady development & growth of urban spaces in rural landscapes" would have solved the oddity of the opposition.
The idea of a possible typo given by FounDit would have been the same.

These 2 ideas are both quite ingenious and they have a wider perspective on how things could be seen, but, as Thar puts it, Nature doesn't control anything... at least in this context, they appear to be the same face of the coin (again, as Thar puts it).
That's why I was thinking of some possible odd usage of the expression "in opposition"...like something that would mean "in the foreground"

Thar wrote:
Why the need to cover them up?

Yes, you are right, technically they are a form of domestication of Nature, there is no doubt. But covering the canals, at that time, would have covered up all the filth they brought: they were very polluted and very bad for the city's health conditions. Plus, they were no more used for navigation as other means of transport were replacing ships, so there was no utilitarian reason to keep them uncovered. On the top, in this very period, to cover them up would have given space to streets and buildings, and when compared to these latter elements, canals somehow represented "Barbaric Nature". 

Thank you guys, 
Given that there is no other meaning for "in opposition" I will assume that this is just a misused expression.

Cheers,
enjoy your day!
Ama
Topic: In opposition
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 12:59:42 PM
Hi there! I hope everyone is keeping well. 
I come to you because I am a bit puzzled in front of the following sentence, the one in bold: 
"Urban waters are putrid, nature untouched by human hands is simply barbaric anddangerous, and thus the canal, which embodies past times, must be covered in the name ofprogress and human intellect. It was crucial that the new century be understood as theepoque of never-ending expansion, for the good of citizens, by virtue of the fact that theconstant progress took shape in opposition to the control of nature and growth ofurbanity.

To me, "in opposition" simply doesn't make sense. I'd rather say that "the control of nature and growth ofurbanity" are some of the strongest incarnations of "constant progress", not "in opposition" to it (Disclaimer: Of course, I am putting forward this meaning according to the context of the whole sentence:the faith in science and technology of the beginning of the XX century... That's far from being my personal opinion...). 

This was written from a non-mother tongue, the problem may lay here. 
I am not mother tongue either (no need to specify! Anxious )... so there may be something I am missing... maybe some unknown usage of the expression "in opposition"... or something extremely straight forward that I am not able to see, because sometimes I become blind in front of the obvious.

I would love to hear some of your thoughts about it... I am pretty sure that as always it would help to get out of this deadlock.

Xx

Ama