User Name: Amarillide
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 40
[0.00% of all post / 0.73 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: haunted
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 12:10:58 PM
I am glad too that Sarriesfan found this possible connection. If not only because now I  really would love to visit this decadent Heligan Garden, it looks like a sublime place.
I think it could be a very interesting perspective, but, because of the "context", I think it may carry a different meaning. Sorry if I didn't write everything together earlier, here we are: 

You will get a better understanding of a society by looking at what it wastes. The garden is haunted by the search for plants – one important characteristic of agrarian society is a near absence of waste. In this economy, those who scavenge nature still earn a decent living. 

This is it, these are spare thoughts, in this very loose aphoristic format... it doesn't explain that much... that's why I put "context" in brackets!

Drag0nspeaker said:
"haunted by the search for plants" doesn't seem to fit any of the usual uses of the verb.

That's why I thought it could be a kind of metaphorical use, a kind of personification of the "search for plants"

I thought it could mean something like "wherever there is a garden it is very likely that there will be someone searching for plants".... haunt could have either the broad meaning of "impend over"(but I don't know if the two meanings could ever overlap, maybe yes since haunting means also to obsess) or the most common meaning of "being there", "infest" "frequent".

It is a bit puzzling, I know, but please, tell me if, according to English language usage, my shot could have a slight possibility of sense...

Thank you very much indeed for bearing with me!
Ama

Topic: haunted
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 12:51:39 PM
Hi, dears!
I bumped into this phrase:

The garden is haunted by the search for plants

Of course, it sounds like a slightly figurative use of language. Do you think that, in this specific case, being haunted is used in the sense of persecution or in the sense of frequentation? Or maybe something else? How does it sound to a mother tongue? Would you please be able to explain to me this image, maybe to give me the closest synonym for haunted you would use in this phrase?
Thank you very much in advance to whoever wants to venture...
Ama
Topic: gloriously wrong
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 11:36:26 AM
Hello Thar,
thank you very much for your interesting insight into the word egregious, I didn't know it used to have a positive meaning.
I think I've got it now, something that is probably a huge mistake but can have its own reason to be. Maybe even more: the act of misunderstanding that gives an unexpected twist to a situation. Of course, I guess it strongly depends on the context...
I would suppose that it is not that idiomatic expression... am I right?
Thank you again,
Ama
Topic: gloriously wrong
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 5:15:07 AM
Hi there,
I was wondering if "to get something gloriously wrong" sounds idiomatic or if it sounds like slightly odd.
Do usually people couple the adjective glorious with the idea of mistake to say that something is very wrong, something very close to saying an egregious mistake?
Or maybe it means something else and it gives a different nuance to the nature of the mistake (or misunderstanding).
Thank you in advance for any suggestion,
Ama
Topic: A contemporary reckoning
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 7:24:24 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

reckoning n
4. retribution for one's actions (esp in the phrase day of reckoning)

Collins English Dictionary

Aegisthus and Clytemnestra met their reckoning when Orestes came back. In the same way, Claudius meets his day of reckoning in Hamlet.

POSSIBLY it's this one.

B I N G O!
Dancing Dancing Dancing

Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 5:27:37 AM
Ok, thank you FounDit and Thar,
I couldn't have the confidence to get out the official meanings range on my own!
Cheers,
Ama
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 3:32:43 PM
I am still chewing and rechewing...

Yes, none of the "official" meanings fitted.
Rethinking sounds closer to what I think it may mean. But still, I feel like not totally at rest, I mean, I keep rethinking it like an issue that's not completely resolved.

How about viewpoint...could it be possible to put viewpoint (or something similar) among the "unusual but still possible" meanings of reckoning?

Ama
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 2:25:03 PM
Hi, dear forum people,
I bumped into this statement:

"From this perspective, this performance is a TwentyFirst-Century Orestes: a contemporary reckoning in the same way that Hamlet is a Renaissance Orestes."

I am asking you, mother tongue, one or more synonyms for "reckoning" in this context, in order to grasp the overall meaning. I am not sure if "a contemporary reckoning" is referred to the idea of putting the 2 things aside, or if the performance and Hamlet are a contemporary reckoning of Orestes. And also if I think it is more the latter, I still have some problems in finding a synonym, I mean, the precise meaning of the word in this phrase... what I find in vocabularies does not fit that much...

Looking forward to receiving your suggestions,
Ama
Topic: A certain use of the -ing form
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 3:16:57 AM
Thank you very much!
I'll check it out!
Ama
Topic: A certain use of the -ing form
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 2:46:02 AM
Audiendus wrote:

As the part of the sentence after "beauty" is not a finite clause (it has no finite verb), it may be better to change the colon to a dash, or leave out the colon and put everything after "beauty" in parentheses.

This sounds like the perfect solution to leave the flavor of such a statement, a flavor that — now I know Dancing — was given from dealing with a non-finite verb on its own!

Every day I see how useful is to give a name to a specific grammatical situation instead of just following my instinct and experience of the language in use. I wonder if there is any specific grammar book that you would recommend to start and study a bit of grammatic/syntax in a more systematic way, like following a path that would slowly fill up my deficiencies.

Thank you very much for your help,
Ama