Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 116
[0.01% of all post / 0.51 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: comma before "that are"
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2020 12:52:26 PM
Hello Romany... Long time! 

First thing first, thank you for your time and attention. Well, I am just translating this for a friend... I am not the culprit! I know these words sound a bit odd, but I assume it has to be like that, very dense.My doubt is if I am able to convey this (maybe weird) meaning in a way that's grammatically correct and "understandable". 
Anyway, here some quick explanations on your points. 

You wrote:

"Listening" is neither unusual, nor is the process mysterious: scientists and doctors know exactly how "listening" works." 

It's about the content of what one listens that can be unusual or mysterious. Their stories, anecdotes, tales, experiences are unusual.

It is about the very act of listening to the account, not about the mere content, neither about the physiological act of "listening".:. it is the fact that someone tells you something in a certain way to be mysterious. 

You wrote:
"Neither is there anything mysterious about anything remaining in our memories. (Well...depending on how ancient one is, I suppose ) so the sentence "It was mysterious because..." isn't right."

Mysterious, obscure, not clear, is also the feeling that remains in the memory of the listener, a feeling that keeps being not completely clear in your mind, nor defined.

You wrote:

"As such" simply does not fit in. I know you want to explain why you used the word "mysterious" - but as this word doesn't apply it is extremely confusing and one has to re-read the sentence to understand clearly you are referring to "unusual" and "mysterious" - which, as has been explained, are incorrectly used."

Please, tell me if you think it does not express the following meaning that I'll try to express in different ways:  "It is mysterious because it remains mysterious in the memory"; "It is mysterious because it remains in the memory in a mysterious way"; "it is mysterious because the feeling that you have when you recall it is a feeling of mystery"
These are attempts to explain better what the text says, I thought that "as such" referred to an adjective mentioned could have worked.  
Like to say: She is called messy because she behaves as such (Sorry... I am always so bad in making examples!)

You wrote:

Well, I assume this is a way to present the fact that there are tears in their account. Yes, it is

You wrote:
many things make us cry but that doesn't make whatever we have cried about stick in our memory either and, once again, even if that were the case...it isn't a "mysterious" or unusual process either

Well, we are entering a quite subjective area, we cannot decide what universally makes things stick to everyone's mind. Maybe it leaves a feeling of mystery to the person that's writing, 

You wrote:
"The big question here is "another what?". Do you mean "Between one smile and another" perhaps? (i.e. tears are what happens in between smiles?)

"Yes, I do. I have already corrected it, following Tautophile suggestion!

You wrote
"Finally: "an (uncanny) filling-in". I'm at a bit of a loss as to what what "a filling-in" could actually be? I kinda get the gist of it but, if tears are just something that occurs in between smiles it seems like we just have two switches: - smiling and crying. No blankness, astonishment, interest, love, anger, confusion etc. ever show on our faces - just smiles and...if we aren't smiling, tears."

Yes, it is not a descriptive text, it is more incisive, sketchy... I am sorry there is a precise word in Italian that I am not able to find now (I am at work... I'd better run, by the way, they are gonna kill me!), that's icastico, it means when just few details emerge and from them and their sensation you get an overall flavor, picture. 

You wrote: 
"As usual when one sets about an explanation, it takes so long to explain that it seems rather brutal to point out every single instance that needs attention. "

I have seen no brutality, just the kindness of a person that presents me with his time and a very interested attention.I love this posts!

You wrote
If not? Ask more questions!!

Well... You did not answer to my doubt about "which and that" that I asked in my second post after Tauto

...And now I have another doubtWhistle Whistle , is the part that I have written in bold, about "as such" and if (specific meaning and sense aside) it is understandeable!

I gotta flyyyy, forgive my mistakes in the body of this email, and also if my answers are a bit dry, but as I have already mentioned, my break starts to take the form of a short leave!
Xx
Ama
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2020 3:11:10 AM
I am seized by another doubt about the above phrase...

Shouldn't it be:

"The experience of listening to their account was unusual and mysterious.
It was mysterious because it remained in the memory as such thanks to the tears, which are like an uncanny filling-in between a smile and another."

Instead than:

It was mysterious because it remained in the memory as such thanks to the tears that are like an uncanny filling-in between a smile and another."

I thought that "which" could be more correct since it is not a defining clause, but I am not that sure...

I hope someone will help again!

Ama
Topic: It remains to/in the/into memory
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2020 2:26:43 AM
Thank you FounDit!

I suspected this was the right answer, but I have found online the expression "remains to memory" and this had confused me...

Xx
Ama
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2020 2:20:22 AM
Hello Tautophile, thank you for the comma that was my main concern,
but extra thanks for:

tautophile wrote:

You might want to write "filling-in" with a hyphen, as I just did, because it might be a reference to the "filling-in" phenomenon in the physiology of vision.

There was no initial reference to that phenomenon of the eye, but from now on, definitely, there will be a subtle allusion!

Definitely, is going to be filling-in between one smile and another.

Thank you so much for helping me to hone the phrase,
Ama

Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 6:33:53 PM

Hi there, it’s me, again.
One of the things I always struggle with are commas in English.
In the following phrase, would you ever put a comma after “as such" (or anywhere else maybe)?

It was mysterious because it remained in the memory as such thanks to the tears that are like an uncanny filling in between a smile and another."

On the top... would anyone recommend a web page or something that covers the topic of punctuation? 

Thank you, I would really appreciated your help!
Ama
Topic: It remains to/in the/into memory
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 5:52:24 PM
Hello everyone,
I hope everyone is happy and safe!

I was wondering if anyone could please explain to me the difference between the expressions in the title... It would be a great help also just if someone could help me in finding the right expression that would suit the thing I am trying to say, that is:  
when you get to know something (whatever thing, person, experience, art) and you remember it in a certain way or with certain qualities.

To clarify a bit more, here is an example phrase: 
"It is mysterious because it remains in the/to/into memory as such"

... wich of the formulas above is the right one to convey this meaning?

Thank you in advance for bearing with me!

Amarillide

Topic: "Estate" and its possibe old meanings
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 4:00:11 PM
thar wrote:

Is this the same guy who was debating earlier about whether to save his business or his life? In which case his possessions would presumably include his stock.

Yes... the same guy... still there mulling it over... I am not gonna spoil how will he make his mind!

thar wrote:

Edit
A lot of words in starting with é in modern French had the form es- in Old French, and have   es- or just s- in modern English.
Eg école - school; États-Unis - United States
English took in both the Mediaeval Latin form "status" and the Old French "estat".
So English ends up with three versions. Estate did use to include the meanings that are now state  and status.

It rings very bad to me. I mean, philology aside... just observing how deep must be the connection between status and estate in our sociaty (maybe everywere)... we basically are classified according to what we own.

I have just noticed that I never look up on The Free Dictionary... LOL that's ridiculous, so silly am I... I don't know why, I mean, I find it one of the best... I just don't have the habit yet. Now I have just put it in my favourite bar... things are gonna change!

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

That whole quotation is one single sentence! Definitely not modern-style!

Definitely not... very labyrinthic. Yet, I have read heard that many people (mother tongue) find it a very galloping reading! Maybe you can be labyrinthic and galloping at the same time.

Bye guys, thank you so much for your answers!
Xx
Ama

Topic: "Estate" and its possibe old meanings
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 2:11:05 AM
Hello there!
In A Journal of the Plague Year, I have been pondering the possible meaning of a word, and this still leaves me doubtful. As always, I'll copy a bigger chunk:

"In the Retirement of this Evening I endeavoured to resolve first, what was my Duty to do, and I stated the Arguments with which my Brother had press'd me to go into the Country, and I set against them the strong Impressions which I had on my Mind for staying; the visible Call I seem'd to have from the particular Circumstance of my Calling, and the Care due from me for the preservation of my Effects, which were, as I might say, my Estate"

The culprit word is the very last, "estate".

The second meaning from the Johnson Dictionary (A Dictionary of the English Language, 1775) says: “condition of life in regard to prosperity or adversity.” Do you think this would be the right sense in this context? And if so, what modern word (a synonym either more words together) would carry the closest meaning?

Otherwise, I thought it could mean something like social status
Or simply, it may be something like all my possessions. At first, I thought this would be the most likely meaning, but I thought as well that in this context this very meaning would sound a bit redundant...

Well, I hope somewhere out there there is someone with a better clue who is willing to suggest something. 
Thank  you for bearing with me,
Amarillide
Topic: because I know not but...
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 1:13:55 AM
Great!
Thank you all guys!
Amarillide
Topic: because I know not but...
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 4:36:30 PM

Hi, there!
Dear friends, I just wanted to double-check if I have got this right, this should be extremely quick, it is about the bold part of the following lines but as always I have copied a bigger chunk (yes, always from Defoe's Plague Year...):

I now began to consider seriously with my Self, concerning my own Case, and how I should dispose of my self; that is to say, whether I should resolve to stay in London, or shut up my House and flee, asmany of my Neighbours did. I have set this particular down so fully, because I know not but it may be of Moment to those who come after me, if they come to be brought to the same Distress, and to the sameManner of making their Choice, and therefore I desire this Account may pass with them, rather for aDirection to themselves to act by, than a History of my actings, seeing it may not be of one Farthingvalue to them to note what became of me.

Does the part in bold, when he says "I know not but" mean something like "I am not sure but this might be relevant,"/"just in case this may be relevant"/ "who knows, this may be relevant". Is this meaning correct? I feel quite sure about it, but I have seen an Italian translation that translates "Because I know that it could be useful"... so I started suspecting I was missing something.

Thank you in advance, 
Amarillide