User Name: Dan Lewis 2222
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 110
[0.01% of all post / 0.75 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: to OR with
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2020 9:37:14 AM
Both are correct, and often used interchangeably.

"He was talking to her" may imply he initiated the conversation, or the purpose of the conversation was for him to ask her questions or give her instructions or information.

"He was talking with her" may imply they were having a friendly conversation.

I think it may be most common that the choice of "with" or "to" is made out of habit, without regard to the nature of the conversation.

Topic: Say something WITH? an Indian accent?
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2020 3:02:20 AM
"With" sounds more natural than "in", to me, in that sentence.

For specifying the language, I would use "in": Say something in English.

Say something in English with an Indian accent.

For specifying a type of singing voice I would tend to use "in": Sing "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" in a falsetto voice.
Topic: tap
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 5:18:58 PM
Does this meaning of 'tap out' make sense in the context of that scene?

tap out: in mixed martial arts and similar sports, to tap the floor to show that you accept that your competitor has beaten you.

"Tap out" has gone from this to be used informally for other forms of surrender, such as when someone gives up in an argument, leaves a room, etc. As an alternative to saying "I give up" or "I quit", someone may say "I'm tapping out".

Topic: HIDDEN BUDDY
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 4:30:02 PM
roast beef => best
Topic: It'll be kind of like that road ride at the fair
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:09:25 AM
I'm guessing that when Janette said "without any lights or oxygen" she was referring to how dark and stifling it will be in the back of the truck with the cargo.
Topic: kindergarten /vs./ preschool
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 1:12:43 AM
In the US kindergarten is for 5 year olds and preschool is for 2-4 year olds.
Topic: Please regulate the sound on that radio.
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:59:27 PM
When a radio is playing too loudly typical requests to lower the volume include

"Turn it down!"

"Turn down your radio!"

or

"Can you turn it down, please?"

I would never expect someone to say "Please regulate the sound on that radio" instead.

If someone used the phrase "regulate the sound" I would be surprised they hadn't used "control the sound" instead, and I would assume this was referring to some situation where continuous monitoring and adjustment of sound level or quality was necessary. Operating a mixing board for a public address system comes to mind.

Topic: What a perverse mind . . .
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 3:19:05 PM
I did. Can you prove it didn't happen?

Wikipedia: "Wētā (also spelled weta) is the common name for a group of about 70 insect species in the families Anostostomatidae and Rhaphidophoridae, endemic to New Zealand.[1] They are giant flightless crickets, and some are among the heaviest insects in the world. Generally nocturnal, most small species are carnivores and scavengers while the larger species are herbivorous.[2] Wētā are preyed on by introduced mammals, and some species are now critically endangered."

The picture of the weta reminds me of what I read about grasshoppers in the U.S. Army Survival Manual: they are a good source of emergency nutrition, but be sure to remove and discard the legs or the barbs will get caught in your throat.

WETA is also the name of the PBS television staion in Washington, D.C.

Wilmar: Can you please provide your thoughts about the word nipperkin?

Ashwin: If you are so inclined, can you do the same for the word schipperke?

Once this is done we will have gathered sufficient information, I think, to refocus, as a team, on the original question, which I would reword as "What sort of perverse mind invents words such as nipperkin, schipperke, and gallinipper?"
Topic: Do I need more commas?
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 2:51:06 PM
DavidLearn wrote:
Hi teachers,

I have painted two rooms since lunchtime.

This is a possible explanation to the sentence above:
The sentence tells us what has happened since lunchtime, focusing on both the period of time and the implied present consequence which could be that two rooms are already painted.

I believe it makes sense, but I don't know if the paragraph needs more commas, the word "which" is properly used, or if it needs to be rephrased.

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the phrase "implied present consequence". It seems to me to needlessly complicate the analysis of a fairly simple sentence. Whatever consequences the sentence implies would depend on other details about the painting job that are not known to readers of just that sentence.

I would explain the sentence like this:

The sentence tells us what has happened since lunchtime, focusing on both the period of time (after lunch) and what has happened (I have painted two rooms).

Topic: What a perverse mind . . .
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 4:23:49 PM
I haven't seen nipperkin or schipperke. But "gallinipper" was the word I learned for whatever the common type of crane flies that are seen around here in Southern California in the springtime.

However, I have encountered few others who have heard the word gallinipper. I learned it from my father, who came from Oklahoma in 1930 when he was 3. I have also noted that most people do not know the word "crane fly" either. When they see that large but harmless insect they react as if it is a large and horrifying type of mosquito.

I see that in the Easter U.S., "gallinipper" refers to a large, aggressive mosquito. And furthermore, that what I had been told about crane flies being beneficial predators of mosquitoes is not true.

gallinipper

crane fly