Profile: Dan Lewis 2222
About
User Name: Dan Lewis 2222
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 123
[0.01% of all post / 0.47 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: He pressed a finger gently to her lips.
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 12:51:20 PM
It's grammatically correct, but I think the "A" version would be used more commonly. The point of his action is he is telling her not to say anything aloud. He is using his finger to say that, silently, with body language. The "B" version seems to me to give more emphasis to the physical pressing action of his finger.
Topic: Comma before 999
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 11:04:54 AM
And from that list of comma rules I think both #7 and #8 may be applicable.

Quote:

7. Use a comma near the end of a sentence to separate contrasted coordinate elements or to indicate a distinct pause or shift.

He was merely ignorant, not stupid.

The chimpanzee seemed reflective, almost human.

You're one of the senator's close friends, aren't you?

The speaker seemed innocent, even gullible.

8. Use commas to set off phrases at the end of the sentence that refer to the beginning or middle of the sentence. Such phrases are free modifiers that can be placed anywhere in the sentence without causing confusion. (If the placement of the modifier causes confusion, then it is not "free" and must remain "bound" to the word it modifies.)
Nancy waved enthusiastically at the docking ship, laughing joyously. (correct)
INCORRECT: Lisa waved at Nancy, laughing joyously. (Who is laughing, Lisa or Nancy?)
Laughing joyously, Lisa waved at Nancy. (correct)
Lisa waved at Nancy, who was laughing joyously. (correct)
Topic: “Gerald ‘Mac’ MacLean”
Posted: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 1:31:52 PM
Mac or Mack is often used to address strangers whose real names are unknown, same as Mister, Sir, Bud, Buddy, Pal, Friend, or Amigo (where Spanish is common).

"Hey Mack, do you know what time the next bus is due?"

I'd guess this started in areas where so many people were named Mac"Something".
Topic: Human Mail
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 12:41:25 AM
"What children's book features a protagonist who travels by mail?"

In addition to FLAT STANLEY, which is mentioned in the article, there is MAILING MAY, by Michael O. Tunnel.
Topic: Be fearless and join...
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 9:58:56 AM
I find a couple of problems with the short summary sentence:

1. It's too long to say in one breath without commas. I find it more readable, and pronounceable, as follows.

Be fearless and join the action, with the world's greatest DC superheroine of the Justice League, in this Wonder Woman Bloodlines 3-Film Collection.

I'm not sure if the commas I inserted are technically necessary or even correct, but they help break up the long sentence into digestible parts. I'd think a TV pronouncer would pause where I inserted the commas.

2. I'd shorten "the world's greatest DC superheroine of the Justice League" to "the world's greatest superheroine". As someone who does not follow comic books, that is all I need to know. However, the writer may want to use his own judgement about how important "DC" and "of the Justice League" are to their target audience. I know some of those details are very important to comic fans.
Topic: As if I ever would
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:09:15 AM
"As if!" is used to sarcastically or humorously deny a statement made previously.

Example:
"I bet you are eager to start fixing up your house on your day off."
"As if I ever would! I'm too tired after working here all week!"
Topic: Double preposition at - at
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2020 1:49:56 AM
It seems like natural sounding speech for a character in that television show.

I might be inclined to avoid it in writing just because it looks odd to see "at at".

I might reword it for either speech or writing as "I left when he started yelling at me. If I wanted to be yelled at, I could have stayed home."
Topic: electric vs electrical
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2020 1:40:30 AM
What kind of store is it?

Here is an explanation of the difference between the two words:

" These two words have a large semantic overlap, but at the edges there are a few key differences.

Electric is used to describe things pertaining to electricity. It can also be used metaphorically: "the evening was electric".

Electrical can be used nearly everywhere that electric is used when pertaining to electricity (aside from some set phrases). It is not generally used metaphorically in the way electric is. The word electrical can also be used in an additional domain: things concerning electricity. So, generally, people do not say "electric engineer" unless the engineer runs on electricity; instead they say "electrical engineer".

So, in the case of "electric(al) machine" from your question, since you are talking about something that runs on electricity, the two words are essentially identical in meaning."

source: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/31649/what-is-the-difference-between-electric-and-electrical-and-their-usage

Topic: Should there be a comma after "fever" and another after "mosquito"?
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 10:51:01 AM
Not using the commas gives me the idea that what's being said is that some cases of dengue fever are transmitted by the Aedes mosquito, and those cases can be life-threatening. I naturally wonder what else might transmit dengue fever, and if those cases can also be life-threatening.

I agree that using the two commas and "which" after the first comma is more clear.
Topic: Is the comma optional?
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 11:57:54 AM
Like Romany, I say thanks for posting this. I knew what "oh gosh" means, and now I sort of know what Gosho means.