User Name: Dan Lewis 2222
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 133
[0.01% of all post / 0.20 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: dry
Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2021 7:39:17 AM
I would use "The river dried up" and not the first two.

I would use "dried" and "dried out" in these examples:

The paint dried.
My marker pen dried out.
My hair dried.
I hung my bathing suit on the fence until it dried out.
Topic: Is "brown colour" correct?
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 2:31:56 PM
I agree with you Koh Elaine.

The original sentence could be rewritten various ways including:

This is a hardy wood that possesses a close-grain and a glossy polish and a brown color.
This is a hardy brown wood that possesses a close-grain and a glossy polish.
This is a hardy, brown-colored wood that possesses a close-grain and a glossy polish.

Since there are many variations of the color brown one might include an appropriate adjective such as:
This is a hardy wood that possesses a close-grain and a glossy polish and a rich brown color.
Topic: Ceramic garlic keeper (Proofreading)
Posted: Friday, July 9, 2021 2:11:03 AM
I like your first sentence because it is so straightforward. It immediately answers the quaestion "Why would I want to buy this?". And, it sounds like you are being honest and helpful rather than just bragging about how great the product is.

Is the jar really big enough to store onions or lemons? When I read that about storing them in it, I am confused about the size of the jar. Perhaps the description should give some dimensions or say how many average sized garlic bulbs it might hold.

There should be no "s" added to ginger to pluralize it. If you have one piece of ginger root, you have ginger. If you have several pieces, you have ginger. You only pluralize it as "gingers" if you were talking about different types of ginger: "The Chef kept several gingers on hand that were used for different recipes."
Topic: All students <at><of> this university are required to own a laptop.
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2021 9:41:27 PM
To this American, number 2 sounds more correct. Students OF this university means, to me, students enrolled as students at that university. Students AT this university could mean students enrolled in other institutions who happen to be visiting the university. But that seems like a highly unlikely situation, that a university would make such a demand of people who are not its students, so I should note that I would probably never have noticed whether "of" or "at" was used if the question was not asked.

I might also note that it is in a university's interest for its students to feel they are a part of the university, not just (temporarily) at it until they complete their studies. That way they might be more likely to donate back to the university after they have graduated and accumulated some wealth.
Topic: anxious vs traumatic
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 11:05:37 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't thought of it that deeply, but wasn't intending to suggest that anxiety is always and necessarily the effect of trauma. Just attempting to illustrate the grammatical use of "anxious" and "traumatic".
Topic: anxious vs traumatic
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2020 9:32:35 PM
If you have a traumatic experience it may cause you to feel anxious.

The effects of cyberbullying can be traumatic.
The effect of cyberbullying can be anxiety.

anxious- worried, troubled; full of mental distress or uneasiness: She felt anxious about her child’s high fever.; excited: I’m anxious about the game.
Not to be confused with:
eager – earnestly desirous, enthusiastic: She was eager to see him again. [These words once had different meanings but anxious is now an acceptable synonym for eager in some cases: He was anxious to see the play.]

Adj. 1. traumatic - of or relating to a physical injury or wound to the body
2. traumatic - psychologically painful;"few experiences are more traumatic than losing a child";

Topic: Tom and Paul sat late in the evening
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 11:05:04 AM
I don't notice any grammatical mistakes, and I'm impressed overall by your writing style- it is clear, concise, and easy to read.

If you'd like to move beyond that into an examination or critique of the dialogue your characters have spoken, I have a comment. Let me begin with the disclamer that I am not an expert nor have I been trained in critiquing fiction, any more than I am authoritative when it comes to grammar and style. Just doing some peer review here.

I think that dialogue has two purposes: to advance the story and to help the reader get to know the characters more.

My first impression is that these two guys sound pretty formal when they talk, especially for two guys who are up late ingesting beer and cannabis. I'm getting the idea they are fairly well educated and are not poor.
Topic: break something
Posted: Sunday, October 4, 2020 12:38:53 PM
If a car is damaged past the point to where repairing it would cost as much or more than the value of the car, we say it is totaled.

If your car is insured against collision damage and is damaged in a minor collision, the insurance company should pay to have it repaired. In a more serious crash, it may be declared that the car is totaled, and they will give you the amount of money it was worth before the crash.
Topic: George was reading an article
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2020 11:03:11 AM

I would write it like this:

As he was reading an article about a politician who had apologised for forgetting to pay his taxes, George thought that if he committed a similar offence, he would be treated like a criminal and taken to court.
Topic: how long/big around is . . .
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 10:08:28 AM
"Big around" is a familiar informal alternative to circumference or perimeter. Those other terms would be preferred in a mathematical discussion. I've never heard anyone say "long around".

The use of the term "waist size" assumes it is understood we are talking about the perimeter of your body around the waist or "how big around is your waist".