Number of Posts: 48
[0.00% of all post / 0.16 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: was not pretty good
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2020 9:49:16 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
Hello,

- The performance of this algorithm was not pretty good compared to other methods.

Do you think the construction "pretty good" in the sentence mentioned is unidiomatic? If yes, could you explain why?

Thanks.

It’s not natural to me as it tells us nothing about how the algorithm actually performed.
To say something performed “pretty good” means that performed in a way that was okay but not spectacularly well, to say it performed “not pretty good” could go either way it could mean it performed badly or it could mean worked very well.
Pretty good sits in the middle ground to understand how the algorithm performed we need to know definitively how well or badly it performed.

Many thanks. You clarified the matter very well.
Topic: was not pretty good
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2020 8:24:34 AM
Hello,

- The performance of this algorithm was not pretty good compared to other methods.

Do you think the construction "pretty good" in the sentence mentioned is unidiomatic? If yes, could you explain why?

Thanks.

Topic: We'd better make tracks soon, hadn't we?
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:16:45 AM
Quote:
We'd better make tracks soon, hadn't we?

Collins

I think it would need to be,

Quote:
We'd better made tracks soon, hadn't we?

to be accurate. Don't you think that way?

Topic: That treasure is owed me, by thunder!
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 1:33:03 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
Hi,

Jim- I'm gonna make sure that you never see...one drabloon of my treasure!
Silver- That treasure is owed me, by thunder!

Treasure Planet animated movie

What do you understand from the bold part?

Treasure Planet is an animated adaptation of “Treasure Island”, Silver is a version of the character Long John Silver.

The treasure that they find in both cases was taken by the pirate Captain Flint and hidden away from his crew, John Silver was part of this crew he feels he is entitled to have it as it was through the criminal actions of his comrades and himself this treasure was accumulated. They risked life and limb ( in Long John Silvers case a leg) in order to steal it, they robbed and killed for it. The treasure is his wages for all this it’s owed to him.

Many thanks for your thorough explanation.

Just curious, you ever encountered the term "drabloon " before? Or probably, it's just an invention of the screenwriter!

Yes I have never heard of drabloon before it’s similar to the word doubloon a real Spanish coin common in the age of pirates.
You are correct it’s a word made up by the screenwriters, it’s a common trope of SciFi inventing a new word that’s similar to another existing one. It’s used a lot when inventing minced oaths “frak” from Battlestar Galactica is an example.

Thanks for the further explanation.
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:49:08 AM
Romany wrote:

Hi Mnemon,

It's actually pretty straightforward:-

"That treasure is owed (to) me."
"That shirt was given to me"

These are the same pattern. What is confusing, perhaps, is that the "to" is missing?

That's because THAT's a pattern too:

"This ring was given me by my mother."
"The money is owed me by the Government."
"A new ring? Show it me."

However...relax! Yes, it's good to be aware of this strange little quirk so that when/if you come across it you'll understand what's meant. However, this usage has slowly been disappearing from the English language for quite a while now - and it never was "correct" English anyway. So mastering this usage is unnecessary in modern English.

You've got a point there, Romany. Much obliged.
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:37:27 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
Hi,

Treasure Planet is an animated adaptation of “Treasure Island”, Silver is a version of the character Long John Silver.

The treasure that they find in both cases was taken by the pirate Captain Flint and hidden away from his crew, John Silver was part of this crew he feels he is entitled to have it as it was through the criminal actions of his comrades and himself this treasure was accumulated. They risked life and limb ( in Long John Silvers case a leg) in order to steal it, they robbed and killed for it. The treasure is his wages for all this it’s owed to him.

Many thanks for your thorough explanation.

Just curious, you ever encountered the term "drabloon " before? Or probably, it's just an invention of the screenwriter!

Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 5:24:34 AM
Hi,

Topic: scaffy witch gave me a gammy spell (BE)
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 7:13:48 PM
Thanks.

Romany wrote:

A little more "knowledge": the word "game" being used to mean "lame" is not confined only to AE but is universal [...]

You can say that again,

Quote:

gammy in British English
(ˈɡæmɪ )
adjectiveWord forms: -mier or -miest
British slang
(esp of the leg) malfunctioning, injured, or lame; game
US equivalent: gimpy

According to Collins, the American equivalent of the word "gammy" is "gimpy".

Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 1:58:28 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
Quote:
That scaffy witch gave me a gammy spell.

Brave animated movie

I'm interested to know more about the words "scaffy" and "gammy". I've looked them up in a couple of online dictionaries, but it was of no avail. What do you understand from the red parts?

“Scaffy” in Scottish slang means disreputable, cheap or tacky originally it meant a street sweeper or bin man.
Gammy is British slang meaning injured, damaged or broken, it’s often said of the leg in British English “ I would have won that race, if it wasn’t for me gammy leg”.

“That rubbish witch gave me a broken spell”. would be my translation.

Many thanks for the explanation.
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 12:59:00 AM
Quote:
That scaffy witch gave me a gammy spell.

Brave animated movie

I'm interested to know more about the words "scaffy" and "gammy". I've looked them up in a couple of online dictionaries, but it was of no avail. What do you understand from the red parts?