Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,799
[0.18% of all post / 2.56 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Paragraph
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 5:56:21 AM
Hi,
Would you please check my paragraph?

My favorite childhood memory is about a rainy day my best friend, Afsaneh, and I went to middle school on a holiday. In fact, neither of us was aware about that holiday as it occurred between two holidays and was not supposed to be off at all. As usual, I got up early in the morning, got my backpack ready and left home with Afsaneh. There was a math exam expecting us on that day and we both were stressed about it. On the way to school, we thought of a plot to avoid going to school, so we made up a story that we had an accident, hit by a motorcycle, and went back home, each having our clothes dirty and a little torn so that it would seem real to our parents. But by the time, I got home two hours later, I realized all we did was in vain, when my mom broke the news to me that it was declared an in-between holiday by the officials late at night before. This is in fact my favorite childhood memory because my friend and I had a lot of fun cooking up the story, and because our families bought us new clothes, taking great care of us for the three days of holiday ahead.
Topic: both each
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 1:21:50 PM
It is true to say that working straight after high school and continuing higher-level studies each has their own unique advantages.

Is this correct? I don't think so.

How would you use "each" in that sentence?
Topic: both each
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 1:29:27 PM
It is true to say that both working straight after high school and continuing higher-level studies each has their own unique advantages.

Is the underlined part grammatical?
Topic: Short paragraph
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 2:52:21 AM
Romany wrote:
Ataturk,

Your query having been commented on, I'd just like to comment on the start of the para.

It's rather common for non-native speakers to begin sentences/texts with "These days..." or "Nowadays...".

If you're using the present tense you are speaking about NOW.

"Unhealthy habits..are being reviewed" means they're doing it now, as you speak. "Scientists believe..." at this time scientists believe it. etc. etc.

Thus, using the Present tense obviates the need to position a time-marker. The present is all about "nowadays" or "these days".

For the past or future a time marker is necessary in order to bring clarity to the time you are discussing...

"Fifty years ago....smoking wasn't considered harmful."
"In the future smoking will be considered a strange custom."

It's only if you HAVE been speaking of the past or future that you would need a time-marker to return to the present.

""Fifty years ago smoking wasn't considered harmful. Now, however, unhealthy habits such as smoking are being...."

Do you get my drift? (Another often-used colloquialism.)

Yes, you're right. Thank you for pointing that out.
Topic: conclusion paragraph
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 2:44:55 AM
Hi,

Would you check this paragraph please?

In a nutshell, language is in fact more of an art than a scientific subject for language learners. Although older children can be more motivated and cognitively competent to learn the ‘usage’ of a language, younger children are at an advantage to acquire natural ‘use’ of a language, which is the principal focus of second language learning.
Topic: Third paragraph
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 2:43:32 AM
Thank you so much.

Yes, I should work on Task-1 as well. I'll soon send one to the forum. Dancing
Topic: second paragraph
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 2:37:32 AM
No, I wouldn't say it's impossible overall, but native-like pronunciation becomes tremendously difficult. I have a five-year-old niece and she has been watching English animations and cartoons on YouTube. Knowing that I'm passionate about English, she always comes up to me reciting poems and uttering short phrases in English. She never fails to impress me with her pronunciation. But as we age, our native phonological system heavily interferes with that of the second language. My older niece, who is 12, has just started learning English at school, but she is not comfortable with it, is afraid of making mistakes, treating language as a formulaic phenomenon.
Topic: Third paragraph
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 2:12:38 AM
Hi,

I would appreciate if you could have a look at his paragraph.

Elementary students are, on the other hand, fresh and eager to learn. Their minds are not yet filled with facts and figures from years of studying different subjects. They also have a lot of free time to dedicate to learning a new language. In terms of mental capacity, these youngsters absorb any new set of data with ease and do not require much assistance from teachers or guidebooks. There is some concern about whether it is justifiable to expose them to a second language when they are not fully capable of using their own native tongue without flaws; however, this is exactly why they should start at that age. As people become older and their grasp on language becomes firmer, it becomes increasingly more difficult for them not to allow their own understanding of syntax and lexis to affect their take on foreign languages.
Topic: second paragraph
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 1:26:50 AM
Thanks for replying to my post.

No, it's the second paragraph of an IELTS essay.

Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_period_hypothesis

Native-like pronunciation is especially almost impossible after the critical period.
I've also read some books on second language acquisition.

This is a great book on different aspects of second and foreign language learning if you're interested:
https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Language-Learning-Teaching-6th/dp/0133041948

Topic: essay number thirteen
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 6:22:13 PM
thar wrote:

>>I think he would be more impressed with the dog's journey than thinking 'I don't want him thinking he can pop round whenever he wants'. "Moving to the country" suggests a substantial distance, and a dangerous journey.
Do you mean he didn't want to give the dog a hard time (tell him off) or he didn't want the dog to undergo a perilous journey?

Yes, the latter.