Statistics
Number of Posts: 391
[0.04% of all post / 0.44 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: “code” and "architecture"
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 5:34:49 AM
Gary98 wrote:
TFD: code:

code - a set of rules or principles or laws (especially written ones)

architectures:
4. the structure or design of anything

architectures are used as an example, right?

Thank you, Gary98.
Topic: “code” and "architecture"
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 9:15:56 AM
"'The apparent feeling among a number of courts and commentators is that code is different: that the task of evaluating design decisions involved in technological products is uniquely beyond the ken of federal courts.” Lessig continued, “I believe it is a mistake to fetishize code in this way. I believe it is a mistake to fetishize code in this way.("United States v. Microsoft Corporation, Civil Action No. 98- 1232 (TPJ) (filed February 1, 2000), Brief of Professor Lawrence Lessig as Amicus Curiae.)

"Code and law are only two forces that regulate individual behavior. Lessig proposes a framework where behaviors of all sorts are regulated by four forces: law, code, norms, and markets... Lessig explains, 'Norms constrain through the stigma that a community imposes; markets constrain through the price that they exact; architectures constrain through the physical burdens they impose; and law constrains through the punishment it threatens.'"

"Implicit in Lessig’s understanding of these regulatory forces is the idea that regulations don’t just constrain us— they can also free us. He references the Americans with Disabilities Act as a set of laws that demand architectural (code) changes to make buildings and public spaces accessible to all." (Ethan Zuckerman, Mistrust: Why Losing Faith In Institutions Provides the Tools to Transform Them)

I'm sorry for the long quotations but I had to do it. In what sense are the words “code” and "architecture" used here?
Topic: 2018 legal history
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 11:34:07 AM
thar wrote:
Sorry edit - at least, not at last. But I guess you worked that out!

That's ok, thar, thank you again.
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 4:22:21 AM
thar wrote:
In 2018 there was a case - so that is legal history.

This appears to be a corporate case - The government Vs Microsoft.
Nothing to do with sexual harassment in Hollywood. As unrelated to that as a case could be.

Ie it couldn't be much further from Hollywood sexual harrassment.

At last it appears that way, on the surface. Superficially, there are no connections to be made between that Microsoft case and Hollywood sexual harrassment.

But for some reason he is bringing it up. So he is making some sort of connection between the two situations.

Thank you, thar, I got it.
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 12:59:53 AM
"To understand the strengths, weaknesses, and workings of these movements, I’ve found myself reflecting on a brief moment in 2018 legal history that, on its surface, couldn’t be much further from sexual harassment in Hollywood: United States v. Microsoft Corporation." (Ethan Zuckerman, Mistrust: Why Losing Faith In Institutions Provides the Tools to Transform Them)

Can you paraphrase the emphasized part?
Topic: "be primed to think about" and "the boiling water of our social and political attitudes"
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 11:17:22 AM
thar wrote:
Primed us when you are reduced in advance.
(Prime = first, before).

If you are primed to think a certain way, the situation has been set beforehand so that that though is already in your brain. Not consciously but in your subconcious. Subliminal suggestion. Maybe the Superman theme was playing in the lab. Maybe some of the words and phrases he used in the introduction led them to think about that topic. In some way, these subjects were unknowingly steerer towards that idea, primed to think it.

Quote:
prime
verb [ T ]
UK /praɪm/ US /praɪm/

to tell someone something that will prepare them for a particular situation:
I'd been primed so I knew not to mention her son.

The second one is silly. It s a poor metaphor I think he is trying to make.
The water in a pan can boil more vigorously or calm down to a gentle simmer.
If you feel safe, (invulnerable) you think more like a Democrat. But why that should involve turning the heat up he doesn't explain.

And boiling water doesn't get any hotter once it's boiling. Physics, Ethan.Whistle

Thank you, thar, I got it, but I can't say I could understand the phrase "Physics, Ethan." Is it a reference to Mission: Impossible or –less likely– Lost?
Topic: "be primed to think about" and "the boiling water of our social and political attitudes"
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 11:17:20 AM
thar wrote:
Primed us when you are reduced in advance.
(Prime = first, before).

If you are primed to think a certain way, the situation has been set beforehand so that that though is already in your brain. Not consciously but in your subconcious. Subliminal suggestion. Maybe the Superman theme was playing in the lab. Maybe some of the words and phrases he used in the introduction led them to think about that topic. In some way, these subjects were unknowingly steerer towards that idea, primed to think it.

Quote:
prime
verb [ T ]
UK /praɪm/ US /praɪm/

to tell someone something that will prepare them for a particular situation:
I'd been primed so I knew not to mention her son.

The second one is silly. It s a poor metaphor I think he is trying to make.
The water in a pan can boil more vigorously or calm down to a gentle simmer.
If you feel safe, (invulnerable) you think more like a Democrat. But why that should involve turning the heat up he doesn't explain.

And boiling water doesn't get any hotter once it's boiling. Physics, Ethan.Whistle

Thank you, thar, I got it, but I can't say I could understand the phrase "Physics, Ethan." Is it a reference to Mission: Impossible or –less likely– Lost?
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 8:31:08 AM
"The social psychologist John Bargh... invited a set of liberals and conservatives into a lab and led them through an exercise in which they imagined themselves with superpowers. Some had the ability to fly; others imagined themselves as invulnerable to harm... But among those who’d been primed to think about invulnerability— a prompt to encourage the unconscious to suppress fear responses— Republicans responded more like Democrats. Bargh argues that this is a possible technique for converting conservatives into liberals: 'The boiling water of our social and political attitudes, it seems, can be turned up or down by changing how physically safe we feel.'" (Ethan Zuckerman, Mistrust: Why Losing Faith In Institutions Provides the Tools to Transform Them)

I couldn't figure out the phrases "be primed to think about" and "the boiling water of our social and political attitudes", what do those mean?
Topic: Lebanon’s victory rings hollow
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 5:12:24 AM
thar wrote:
It means it is not a real victory.
The promise of reform has faded away.

A metal object rings with a good sound if you hit it. Like a bell or a iron bar. But if it is hollow or counterfeit it just makes a thudding sound.

Other Arab Spring movements failed totally with descent into war or new dictatorship.
In Lebanon it hasn't been that bad, but it is still not a success for the reformers. The PM promised reforms but nothing helps ordinary people. They have not made the structural changes needed to make the system work. The political system is still broken and corrupt and the politicians care only about keeping power with their sectarian group. The reformers' "victory" has not made any difference, and it does not look like the system will change as the politicians promised it would.

It is not a real victory, even if it looks like one, compared to other counties.
If you strike it, metaphorically, you hear hollow thud, not a sweet ring.

Quote:
ring hollow
if a statement or promise rings hollow, it seems false, or insincere
Details of his 27-year affair have been revealed to all. His speeches on family values and the stability of marriage ring hollow now.

(A bad example there in terms of word choice. No 'marrage ring'. His statements ring hollow. While this politician portrayed himself as a supporter of family values he was having an affair. He was fake, not genuine.

Quote:
ring hollow
idiom

: to seem untruthful or insincere
Their promises ring hollow.
His apology rang hollow.

But here it is about the concept - the victory. It has not turned out to be a real victory, producing real change.

Another metaphor using the same analogy as 'to ring hollow' is 'to ring true'. Ie make the sound it should when you strike it, showing it is genuine.

The idiom is not exactly opposite in meaning, but it is when you believe something is genuine, the truth.
Quote:
If something someone says or writes rings true, it seems to be true:
Something about his explanation didn't quite ring true.

Thank you, thar, I got it.
Topic: Lebanon’s victory rings hollow
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 2:48:58 AM
The outcome of these protests, however, has generally been disappointing. The hopes of the Arab Spring have faded in most of the affected countries: Libya and Syria slid into war and Egypt into military dictatorship... Even Lebanon’s victory rings hollow, as the movement's slogan, “Everyone means everyone,” demands a wholesale transformation of the country’s political culture, which remains unlikely.(Ethan Zuckerman, Mistrust: Why Losing Faith In Institutions Provides the Tools to Transform Them)

I couldn't figure the emphasized part out, what does that mean?