Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 235
[0.02% of all post / 0.35 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Mighty line
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 2:30:34 AM
Romany wrote:

All plays used to be written in rhyme - it made them easier to remember. This was necessary because the average play went for about three hours,(all Shakespeare's plays were originally that long!) and actors would present 3 or 4 different plays every week! So actors didn't as much act, as recite poetry.

But Kit Marlowe, in the spirit of the Renaissance,looked back at the originators of Drama - the Greeks - and saw how their plays had a group of storytellers to help the story along - but that the actors themselves spoke as real people, and not in rhyme.

He was the first English playwright to use blank verse in plays. Once he wasn't constrained by a traditional rhyme scheme he found he could let his characters make grand speeches, or declarations of love etc. and use words to stir the emotions, rather than actions. These were the "grand lines" he wrote.

Even Shakespeare could not quite match Marlowe's skill at blank verse: he dropped more often into the familiar pattern of rhyme than many people realise; because during the shift from Early Modern English to Contemporary English our pronunciation has changed completely. So many words that look entirely different now, were once pronounced differently and did, in fact, once rhyme.

Marlowe ushered in a completely different approach to Theatre - which was entirely new when he wrote it. It was Kit Marlowe who actually gave us modern theatre - out of which some of the "grandest" lines in our language came to us: -

"Cry Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!"

"I know I have the body of a weak, feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too..."

Those are grand, stirring words indeed.

Thank you Romanny, this is very illuminating explanation.
Topic: Mighty line
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 2:46:39 PM
"Ben Jonson captured the power and originality of Marlowe’s verse when he wrote of ‘Marlowe’s mighty line’, but he also mocked Tamburlaine’s ‘scenicall strutting and furious vociferation, ..."

"Many attempted to outdo Marlowe, but most of them failed not because their audience’s appetite for such plays was diminishing, but because their plays were unable to build character and action beyond types or images... It is a convention that first developed out of a combination of Marlowe’s ‘mighty line’ and the contemporary reports reaching London from Elizabethans living and working throughout Africa, the Mediterranean, the Ottoman Empire, Russia, Persia and even India."

"Viewed from London’s taverns and brothels, the heirs of Marlowe’s ‘mighty line’ like Hotspur start to look like a throwback to an older, semi-mythical world of pagan heroes and heroic conquests that has been supplanted by the new world of opportunistic rhetoric and cunning represented by Henry IV and his even more inscrutable son."

What does "mighty line" mean in these quotations?

The source: This Orient Isle- Elizabethan England and the Islamic World by Jerry Brotton
Topic: What does "Fides" mean here?
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 3:44:02 AM
Thank you friends, I got it.
Topic: What does "Fides" mean here?
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:27:54 PM

"The hanging of Faith and Mahomet, made around the time of Murad’s death, shows Faith modelled closely on Queen Elizabeth. She stands in front of a backdrop of ecclesiastical architecture, next to a large crucifix, holding a Bible in her right hand with the word ‘Faith’ picked out on its spine in gold twist, a communion chalice in her left hand, and ‘Fides’ embroidered on her arm." (Jerry Brotton, This Orient Isle- Elizabethan England and the Islamic World)
Topic: Humility
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2020 12:51:54 PM
Thank you, friends, I got it.
Topic: Humility
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2020 3:37:08 AM
‘if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge. The villainy you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.’ (Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice.)

What does "humility" mean here?
Topic: Sultan son of Sultan from all the sons of Adam to this time
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 1:37:10 AM
Thank you, friends.
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:47:22 PM
thar wrote:
But he was a prophet and the angels bow down to him.
Since Islam was a religion of administrative power, it seems reasonable to claim the power even if the titles came later. These aren't literal - you can backdate it, I think!

You're right, thar, I didn't think this dimension of the matter. I got it, thank you, again.
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:19:33 PM
thar wrote:
Adam was the first man, so this is claiming ancestry and power back to the beginning of time.

Adam (supposedly) was not a king, neither were all the sons of him. I can't understand this.
Topic: The dove wherewith
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 11:01:26 AM
Romany wrote:
AliBey,

Just in case the example sentence for the word "exchange" gave the impression that an "exchange" is always heated or quarrelsome?

An "exchange" between two people refers to an "exchange" of words i.e. any conversation between two people was called an "exchange".

It's not very commonly used now, but is still a rather useful word in more formal, or academic writing.

Thank you Romany, I got it.