Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 16
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: A more specific term for this
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:48:14 PM
There are many words which you may find good:
consultation, group-think, session or which I like the most: buzz session.
Topic: ENGLISH
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:53:18 PM
INCIDENT
1 : an unexpected and usually unpleasant thing that happens [count]
▪ We just want to put that embarrassing incident behind us. ▪ Two people were shot yesterday in two separate incidents. ▪ Aside from a few isolated incidents, the crowd was well-behaved. ▪ a shooting incident ▪ Many such incidents go unreported. [noncount] ▪ The suspects were arrested without incident. [=without any unexpected trouble]
2 [count] : an event or disagreement that is likely to cause serious problems in relations between countries
▪ a border incident ▪ The bombing caused/provoked an international incident.

ACCIDENT
[count] 1 : a sudden event (such as a crash) that is not planned or intended and that causes damage or injury
▪ We got in a car accident. = We had a car accident. ▪ a traffic accident ▪ a fatal accident ▪ a motorcycle accident ▪ He was injured in an accident at work. ▪ The accident happened when her car slid on a patch of ice. ▪ Investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the accident. ▪ “I'm sorry that I broke the bowl.” “That's OK. It was just an accident.” = “That's OK. Accidents will happen.” ◊An accident waiting to happen is a person or thing that is dangerous or unsafe.
▪ My brother is the clumsiest person I know. He's just an accident waiting to happen.
2 : an event that is not planned or intended : an event that occurs by chance
▪ Their meeting was an accident. ▪ It is just an accident that they arrived when they did. ▪ She says that her pregnancy was an accident. ▪ His wealth is a mere accident of birth. [=he is wealthy only because he was born into a wealthy family] ▪ He says that no one is to blame for his illness. It was just an accident of nature. [=something that happened naturally] ▪ It is no accident that the assistant he hired is so good-looking. [=he deliberately chose a good-looking person to be his assistant]
by accident
: in a way that is not planned or intended
▪ They met by accident. [=by chance] ▪ She says that she became pregnant by accident. [=unintentionally] ▪ Scientists discovered the vaccine almost/quite/entirely by accident. ▪ Did it happen by accident [=accidentally] or by design?
Topic: just want to know
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:44:44 PM
In all my dictionaries there is no difference between these two words.
Topic: A man who dotes on his wife.
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:41:56 PM
I dote on my girlfriend! I like this expression anyway.
Topic: More than one thousand!
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 2:30:52 AM
Congratulations! It's nice that people are interested in improving their English. It's a useful site.
Topic: Things of the heart
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:28:13 AM
I would never think that it may be such a problem. Heart is a symbol of all our feelings and emotions. This organ is a representative of our life. If heart stops working we die immediately. Of course, if our liver or kidneys stop working we die as well. But heart is heart.
Topic: Unfamiliar words
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 2:56:03 PM
I am not familiar with any of these words. I have found a definition for a word terricolous. I have three premium dictionaries but two first words cannot be found in them. Your idea is good.
Topic: What is your favorite word?
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 2:32:13 AM
I like SEDULOUS. It means diligent, persevering or assiduous. All of us are sedulous in our English. That's why we like this website.
Topic: "cut the grass" or "mow the lawn"?
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:21:33 PM
In Ireland "cut the grass".
Topic: What words have you heard recently, that you had never heard of before?
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:33:51 AM
SUCCINCT which means clearly expressed in a few words.