Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 6
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Creative writing
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 2:57:48 AM
pljames wrote:
How many English words alone have different meanings? I am very proud of this forum and showing and teaching me how to write again at my age. curious-Paul

Hello Paul,

It's funny, but I actually didn't pay attention to this at all. I started teaching the Creative writing course at Cowley College last semester and we passed over to Homonyms, Homophones, Homographs only this week. You will never guess what students asked me in the first place - how many meanings does the word "Homo" itself have?
Topic: Grammar
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:15:01 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
As a 'footnote' to Romany's reply . . .

I have 'spellcheck' and 'grammar check' enabled (I guess it's a Microsoft thing - it's just part of my computer and I've never bothered to dig through 'options' to find how to disable it).

However, I use them differently. If I get a red line (spellcheck marking) I see what the suggestion is and choose whether my spelling is right or the computer's - usually it's the computer is right and my fingers are wrong.
If I get a green line (grammar checker marking), I look at the suggestion.
90% of the time, I can't see why it has suggested the change, and 50% of the time the changes makes absolutely no sense at all - the sentence just would not work using the suggested phrase.

I don't know what 'rules' are programmed into the grammar checker - but they are not the rules of English grammar!

That's actually what I wanted - to have the choice options - whether to accept the change or not. Perhaps, I have to try Office 365 Editor at last, and see if it's indeed helpful.
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:12:05 AM
Romany wrote:

What the heck happened to the post from Samantha that I was responding to - where she said she uses editing apps? Am I going mad?

Do you mean this one?

Quote:
Thanks,
I've been using several apps and tools like http://www.hemingwayapp.com/ or http://essay.tools/convert-case/ for publications and my short stories, but I need something more profound (for grammar). I hear that Office 365 Editor is a great tool. But it costs a lot.

There was something like that. I guess there was a glitch or something. Or perhaps I accidentally deleted it...

As for the human editors, there's always a hint of subjectivity, don't you think? Especially, when it concerns the style and the linguistic units and grammatical structures that should emphasize a particular dialect, character, etc. My editor always corrects those. Sure thing, she explains that it's better to avoid such constructions, and so on and so forth, but what if I feel that it's better to use them in that particular place?
That's my stubbornness I guess :)
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 2:33:57 AM
Hi

Do you use any grammar checkers or editors while writing? If yes, which are the best? I frequently notice that I need someone to proofread my writing, cause I never see my own mistakes.

Thanks.
Topic: Edgar Allan Poe
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:16:43 AM
almo 1 wrote:

http://www.sparknotes.com/author/edgar-allan-poe/

Edgar Allan Poe was born on January 19, 1809, and died on October 7, 1849. In his stormy forty years, which included a marriage to his cousin, fights with other writers, and legendary drinking binges, Poe lived in some of the important literary centers of the northeastern United States: Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City, and Boston. He was a magazine editor, a poet, a short story writer, a critic, and a lecturer. Poe became a key figure in the nineteenth-century flourishing of American letters and literature. Although he long had a reputation in Europe as one of America’s most original writers, only in the latter half of the -twentieth century has Poe been viewed as a crucial contributor to the American Renaissance.

The often-tragic circumstances of Poe’s life haunt his writings. His father disappeared not long after the Poe’s birth, and, at the age of three, Poe watched his mother die of tuberculosis. Poe then went to live with John and Frances Allan, wealthy theatergoers who knew his parents, both actors, from the Richmond, Virginia stage. Like Poe’s mother, Frances Allan was chronically ill, and Poe experienced her sickness much as he did his mother’s. His relationship with John Allan, who was loving but moody, generous but demanding, was emotionally turbulent. With Allan’s financial help, Poe attended school in England and then enrolled at the University of Virginia in 1826, but he was forced to leave after two semesters. Although Poe blamed Allan’s stinginess, his own gambling debts played a large role in his fiscal woes. A tendency to cast blame on others, without admitting his own faults, characterized Poe’s relationship with many people, most significantly Allan. Poe struggled with a view of Allan as a false father, generous enough to take him in at age three, but never dedicated enough to adopt him as a true son. There are echoes of Poe’s upbringing in his works, as sick mothers and guilty fathers appear in many of his tales.

An impressive emotional flood.. I guess there's always some hidden influence of something from childhood.
Topic: Edgar Allan Poe
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:52:14 AM
felixmenders wrote:
I guess Edgar Allan Poe was one of the most brilliant creative people of his time. Black Cat is my favorite.

I've never been able to understand the meaning of black cat. What was its purpose in the whole work?
Thanks.

Samantha