Profile: Kampong
About
User Name: Kampong
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 49
[0.00% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: the failure of the Swedish approach.
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 3:39:34 PM
The Nordic countries are very similar, to the point where most foreigners don't manage to distinguish between term like Scandinavian, and Nordic; and some might even have problems quoting the capital cities. However the health-system are very similar, with (near)free healthcare for all.

It is therefore relevant to study the development of 2020 Pandemics in light of the very dissimilar response that particularly Sweden had. As a Norwegian, I am biased, obviously, but I find it quaint that President little Donny of the United Dictatorships of America had fun bashing Sweden (something about terrible events in Sweden, that nobody but the fürer of the GOP knew about) , and then the same guy would almost copy the Swedish strategy (i.e. Do as little as possible) in fighting the SARS-Covid-19 epidemics.
Some numbers - like the number of deaths per 100 000 inhabitants soared, and arguments like: the other countries have a different way of counting was put forward. The man in charge (Anders Tegnell (He is the equivalent of Fauci, and for some reason he is more important than the PM of Sweden!)) had that as an excuse for about a week, but had to admit that Norway/Finland/Denmark use absolutely the same criteria: a death caused by Covid-19 virus, and not any death while the person was infected. As none of the countries have experienced being overwhelmed (yet); every deceased is inventoried. Norway did even experience an under-morbidity in late spring, giving some grief to the undertakers.

One argument that prevailed (for lack of proof) was that by letting the virus run its course, Sweden would avoid a second wave! The number of deaths (per 100 000) was above those of the land of the free!

How short-sighted. We now see the fallacy of that approach. For a short while it looked like Sweden did indeed avoid a second wave. That was because the infection rate was so high, that countries like mine who had practically no new cases over the summer, suddenly had transmission rates of 4-5

And as I have pointed out in another entry: The economy is not saved by letting the virus reign unchecked:
The Impact of the pandemics on the GDP
Sweden (and Denmark) have a drop in GDP 2% worse than Norway and Finland

In Scandinavia we have no way of distinguishing by "ethnicity", but the authorities in Norway admit that near 50% of patients in hospital with SARS-Covid-19 diagnosis are born outside Norway. There is nothing racist about i: the largest group was workers that had spent the summer back home in Poland, and Poland is another country where the authorities thought that they had it under control. Another very affected group is Somalies. They distinguish themselves as being unwilling to heed the advice of the authorities (Sounds familiar??)
Topic: little donny claims false victory
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 9:37:55 AM
Honestly, a lot of reporters, and commentators expected this. Donny claimed even his victory 4 years ago was rigged!
He picks on Joe for even small slips, while doesn't even remember where his own father was born. (He claimed his father [not Grand-Father] was born in Germany)
He admits openly he is corrupt : "So I call some guy, the head of Exxon. I call the head of Exxon. I don't know,” ....“How are you doing? How’s energy coming? When are you doing the exploration? Oh, you need a couple of permits, huh? Okay.”
I would hit a home run every single call. I would raise a billion dollars in one day, if I wanted to.
"
Yeah, It's hypothetical, but still, to admit to trade favours. The Guy is so full of B*** S*** that he has fertilized the so called swamp with it.

The Americans should cry of shame!
Topic: The lie of herd immunity
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 2:43:02 PM
Nothing very new: This article from Sweden dated September 29th https://www.forskning.se/2020/09/29/nar-uppnar-vi-egentligen-flockimmunitet/(use google translate or similar to read The site is a serious one "research.sweden" ) point out that only 7.3% of the Stockholms population exhibit antibodies, despite a very heavy death-toll. The only positive thing is that they don't experience a second wave.

Here in Scandinavia we compare the different countries, as we otherwise have a very good national healthcare system, while we had a very different approach. Sweden has practiced a very (Trump-like?) liberal approach to the pandemics while the neighbours have had lock-down. Let's face it- lock down here has been very "light" compared to what's seen in Spain and France. But there is no doubt that if you accept a liberal approach, then you have to accept the a lot of middle-aged and elderly people will die.
( The Swedish level without a second wave is worse than Norway's with a second-wave )

by the way ... think that a liberal approach saves the economy? (link Drop in GDP
My country has a drop in GDP at 5.3%, while Sweden's has dropped by 6.3% and 1000% more mortality
Topic: as good an answer as any
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2020 11:19:07 AM
The person speaking thinks what he/she just heard is likely, but that there might be other ideas/answers that are correct.
Topic: Silence gives the proper grace to women.
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 6:30:29 AM
Just shows that Sophocles was a member of a misogynic society.
Topic: Cat in French
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 8:58:03 AM
it is also possible to use the synonym of cat (un minet) with the female form: une minette, but as so often happens, the word is also used in popular slang, in this case for young girl.
Topic: James Mattis: Trump is a threat to the Constitution
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2020 9:27:15 AM
When D. Trump became president, he swore an oath. But he did not and still does not know what the constitution of the United States contains. It is very contested that he wrote the book "The art of making a deal" (ISBN-10: 9780399594496) , much less that he has ever read it. His deal is with the leader of PRC - which is a joke.

I am surprised ( at least a little) that the republicans have not told him that he could not be their candidate in 2024 and 2028 - The most famous poster had the slogan "Trump 4EVA" which is interpreted as "Trump for ever".

I can understand some are worried about the total lack of coherency in J.Bidens speaches, but the POTUS did seem to know where his father was born, when he stated that his father was born in Germany!

I'm glad I am not American.
Topic: Operation Gladio
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 1:46:50 PM
The "Stay Behind" operations in Norway became public in 1979-1980 through the arrest of a shipping owner who had a secret cellar with bazookas and machine-gun. Some persons were in the know before that. Just watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtHYAgOTIwU
Topic: multiple uses of "more"
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:17:23 AM
There is one rule: KISS
It stands for Keep It Simple Stupid
so your friend is right
Avoid repeating more- unless you really want to drive the nail in
Topic: A gripping word or have I lost it?
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 8:15:05 AM
On the list of 10 words to learn in 2020 is poignant. The thesaurus gives affecting, touching, alternatively painful. The etymology is given as [1350–1400; Middle English poynaunt < Middle French poignant, present participle of poindre < Latin pungere to prick, pierce].

I honestly thought is derives from french poignée from puinnie , and meaning a grip. A synonym of poignant not listed is gripping. Shouldn't it be added?