Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14
[0.00% of all post / 0.18 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Australian Constitution Drama
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:49:40 PM
There are countries (Syria is one) where the citizens cannot really rescind their citizenship.

There has been cases of young men visiting their relatives, and suddenly getting drafted in the army because the Syrian law claim they are Syrian, as they had a Syrian father.

(I am not from Syria, but it was a friend of mine who told me of the issue)
Topic: AI
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:22:25 PM
AI is just a complex computer programme... Of course one should fear it.

A computer programme with a bug - or a rogue robot what's the difference.
As for the jobs:
Luddites fear for employment, and eventually they will be right just as Malthus will evenually be right (because of inabilty to improve on yield over a certain level)
Topic: smorgasbord
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:49:13 AM
Smörgås is translatable as "Sandwich" inthe sence of piece of bread with something on. Never a pile of slices.
Bord means table, indicating a large variety and abundance of food.
Topic: POURQUOI II Y A ''ACCENTS'' IN FRANÇAİSE? (WHY THERE ARE ACCENTS IN FRENCH?)
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:05:23 AM
There is also a general issue when you want to express sounds in a written form.
There are more sounds than the 26 in standard 'latin script' - but just cast a glance as to how phonetic writing is rendered
so there are several strategies, and one of them is to add letters
- which is why my native language uses 29 characters.
Old english used Þ and ð to express 'th' in The and with
which is the second method - use several letters to express a sound such as feeling as compaled to felling

the third method is to modify the sound - sometimes even to stress that the sound expressed by the letter is to 'as is'
these modifiers appear as accents or umlaut - or ... ( depending on the script language) .
and actually french uses strategy 2 and 3
example from a french homophone ( several words that sounds the same )
. le maire ( the mayor)
. la mère ( the mother)
. la mer ( the sea)
at least in writing you see we are speaking of three very different things - the gender of the word for mayor distinguishes between the two.

A Frenchman can reed sorry read text without accents. He/she will however be irritated by the time extra required to decipher the meaning.
Topic: il est grand
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 4:30:35 AM
Hmmmm. I get a feeling someone is trying to get us to do some school assignment for them
Il est grand = He is tall/big

So possible questions could be:

Es-ce qu'il est petit? = Is he small ?
Topic: circumference
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:39:01 AM
I would assume that perimeter is also a good synonym
from perimeter on this site:
1. Mathematics
a. A closed line bounding a plane area.
b. The length of such a line.
2. The outer limits of an area. See Synonyms at circumference.
3. A defended boundary protecting a military position
Topic: unfledged
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 6:19:06 AM
I am almost 100% certain the original meaning was
unfledged - (of an arrow) not equipped with feathers; "shot an unfledged arrow"

the reference to young flightless birds has become more common as as few are shooting arrows any more, but if you have tried to shot arrows with and without feathers you will have noticed the erratic flight of the unfledged one. They are not fit for the purpose of flying.
Topic: Appropriate prepostion
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 5:21:14 AM
there is a nuance:
If he is summoned to court ( as accused ) - he appears before the court
visualize this as everyone looking at him

If he just turns up - he appears at the court
visualize this as if he comes in, and only a few will notice because he is not the centre of attention
Topic: made it this far
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 5:04:59 AM
It means that the person speaking assumed the one who is shaking would give up before reaching the spot they are located.

It also imples that there is still some more to come.
Topic: abyssal
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:37:39 AM

I see unfathomable as a synonym to abyssal - which it is ,

However there is slight historical difference. Fathomable refers to the rope used for depth-sounding ( before the sonar was invented), and the length was measured in fathoms - an anthropomorphic measurement: the length between the fingertips when a grown man stretches out, and standardised to 180cm
The length of the rope was in usually limited to 100 fathoms, thus one could not measure deeper than 180m sub-sea, which then was set as the limit of the continental shelf.

Unfathomable therefore meant something that was deep beyond measurement, while abyssal was just deep

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.