[0.00% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: multiple uses of "more"
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:17:23 AM
There is one rule: KISS
It stands for Keep It Simple Stupid
so your friend is right
Avoid repeating more- unless you really want to drive the nail in
Topic: A gripping word or have I lost it?
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 8:15:05 AM
On the list of 10 words to learn in 2020 is poignant. The thesaurus gives affecting, touching, alternatively painful. The etymology is given as [1350–1400; Middle English poynaunt < Middle French poignant, present participle of poindre < Latin pungere to prick, pierce].

I honestly thought is derives from french poignée from puinnie , and meaning a grip. A synonym of poignant not listed is gripping. Shouldn't it be added?
Topic: Se met à sonner.
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:10:43 PM
Joe's question is however pertinent, as "to ring" is the infinitive equivalent to sonner

to ring : sonner
it rings : ça sonne
it has rung : ça a sonné

The thing is "begin" or "start" is translated as commence and it is followed by the infinitive if a verb
start to speak : commence à parler
however,
start a lecture : commence une dissertation

So you see that English and French are not that different

Topic: To / in
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:47:44 AM
The to is preferred in the context, otherwise the same.
It emphasizes that there is a movement in and then out of the city. Obviously if you travelled to Istanbul then it is assumed that you have been inside town.

Modern life makes it more complicated. I have taken flights to Stockholm [the airport (actually called Arlanda)] while never been [stayed] in Stockholm [the city]
In some languages the difference would be expressed with dative, and accusative - which doesn't exist in Modern English.
Topic: Er lyden for "synspunkt" riktig?
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2019 3:56:00 PM
helt riktig. Synes jeg hører "Fire" altså firetallet ikke det å senke flagget eller lignende-
Topic: I would rather be a freeman among slaves than a slave among freemen.
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 4:11:38 AM
Bully_rus wrote:
Both cases are imaginary, but, yes, the first one is preferable, because it gives more opportunity for advancement…

I disagree. The first gives you autodetermination.
A slave is a slave, at the whim of the master.
Topic: Advice for learning English Vocabulary
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 6:44:21 PM
Hi,
Speaking the language is obviously the easiest way to learn the everyday vocabulary that everyone needs.
Obviously, when speaking you have no time to be fancy, and it is super-easy to say something that is completely corny. That's the way it is.

for a written source to common everyday language, I usually recommend reading crime novels, instead of "high literature". Some terms are hopefully not needed - such as knowing crack, meth, coke.

Good luck.
Topic: Loss of grounding
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:02:38 AM
May I add a tiny warning: in other contexts - like electrical engineering the term loss of grounding can mean something else.
[I just add this for readers who encounter the expression and who may think it has only one meaning].
Topic: are both questions correct?
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2019 3:41:54 AM
To haggle is also synonymous with to bargain.

Argue is a much more one-sided affair, and assumes that you can reason with the opponent.
Bargain/Haggle very often ends in just quoting numbers that may converge to the sales price.
Topic: Is "her" redundant?
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 4:40:50 AM
There are the following alternatives - I add comments
Quote:
Before Zhou left for her home, the pair had quarrelled over household matters
- It may not be clear (in English) if her refers to Zhou or Zhou's mother-in-law. However, if you omit it :
Quote:
Before Zhou left for home, the pair had quarrelled over household matters
- one would assume that home is Zhou's home, and the quarrel is between two women.
Alternatively:
Quote:
Before Zhou left for her own home, the pair had quarrelled over household matters
- then it is obviously a quarrel between mother-in-law and Zhou occurring at mother-law's house.
Even clearer if it was spelled out as:
Quote:
Before Zhou left for their home, the pair had quarrelled over household matters
- where their refers explicitly to a piece of property jointly owned.

My conclusion is that her does not add clarity as to which female character in this drama it refers to. If this was a case of domestic trouble, prior to visiting mother-in-law, then it is best to spell it all out:
Quote:
Before Zhou left for her mother-in-law's home, the pair had quarrelled over household matter