User Name: Kampong
Forum Rank: Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 44
[0.00% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Cat in French
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 8:58:03 AM
it is also possible to use the synonym of cat (un minet) with the female form: une minette, but as so often happens, the word is also used in popular slang, in this case for young girl.
Topic: James Mattis: Trump is a threat to the Constitution
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2020 9:27:15 AM
When D. Trump became president, he swore an oath. But he did not and still does not know what the constitution of the United States contains. It is very contested that he wrote the book "The art of making a deal" (ISBN-10: 9780399594496) , much less that he has ever read it. His deal is with the leader of PRC - which is a joke.

I am surprised ( at least a little) that the republicans have not told him that he could not be their candidate in 2024 and 2028 - The most famous poster had the slogan "Trump 4EVA" which is interpreted as "Trump for ever".

I can understand some are worried about the total lack of coherency in J.Bidens speaches, but the POTUS did seem to know where his father was born, when he stated that his father was born in Germany!

I'm glad I am not American.
Topic: Operation Gladio
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 1:46:50 PM
The "Stay Behind" operations in Norway became public in 1979-1980 through the arrest of a shipping owner who had a secret cellar with bazookas and machine-gun. Some persons were in the know before that. Just watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtHYAgOTIwU
Topic: multiple uses of "more"
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:17:23 AM
There is one rule: KISS
It stands for Keep It Simple Stupid
so your friend is right
Avoid repeating more- unless you really want to drive the nail in
Topic: A gripping word or have I lost it?
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 8:15:05 AM
On the list of 10 words to learn in 2020 is poignant. The thesaurus gives affecting, touching, alternatively painful. The etymology is given as [1350–1400; Middle English poynaunt < Middle French poignant, present participle of poindre < Latin pungere to prick, pierce].

I honestly thought is derives from french poignée from puinnie , and meaning a grip. A synonym of poignant not listed is gripping. Shouldn't it be added?
Topic: Se met à sonner.
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:10:43 PM
Joe's question is however pertinent, as "to ring" is the infinitive equivalent to sonner

to ring : sonner
it rings : ça sonne
it has rung : ça a sonné

The thing is "begin" or "start" is translated as commence and it is followed by the infinitive if a verb
start to speak : commence à parler
however,
start a lecture : commence une dissertation

So you see that English and French are not that different

Topic: To / in
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:47:44 AM
The to is preferred in the context, otherwise the same.
It emphasizes that there is a movement in and then out of the city. Obviously if you travelled to Istanbul then it is assumed that you have been inside town.

Modern life makes it more complicated. I have taken flights to Stockholm [the airport (actually called Arlanda)] while never been [stayed] in Stockholm [the city]
In some languages the difference would be expressed with dative, and accusative - which doesn't exist in Modern English.
Topic: Er lyden for "synspunkt" riktig?
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2019 3:56:00 PM
helt riktig. Synes jeg hører "Fire" altså firetallet ikke det å senke flagget eller lignende-
Topic: I would rather be a freeman among slaves than a slave among freemen.
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 4:11:38 AM
Bully_rus wrote:
Both cases are imaginary, but, yes, the first one is preferable, because it gives more opportunity for advancement…

I disagree. The first gives you autodetermination.
A slave is a slave, at the whim of the master.
Topic: Advice for learning English Vocabulary
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 6:44:21 PM
Hi,
Speaking the language is obviously the easiest way to learn the everyday vocabulary that everyone needs.
Obviously, when speaking you have no time to be fancy, and it is super-easy to say something that is completely corny. That's the way it is.

for a written source to common everyday language, I usually recommend reading crime novels, instead of "high literature". Some terms are hopefully not needed - such as knowing crack, meth, coke.

Good luck.