Last 10 Posts
Topic: circumference
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:39:01 AM
I would assume that perimeter is also a good synonym
from perimeter on this site:
1. Mathematics
a. A closed line bounding a plane area.
b. The length of such a line.
2. The outer limits of an area. See Synonyms at circumference.
3. A defended boundary protecting a military position
Topic: unfledged
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 6:19:06 AM
I am almost 100% certain the original meaning was
unfledged - (of an arrow) not equipped with feathers; "shot an unfledged arrow"

the reference to young flightless birds has become more common as as few are shooting arrows any more, but if you have tried to shot arrows with and without feathers you will have noticed the erratic flight of the unfledged one. They are not fit for the purpose of flying.
Topic: Appropriate prepostion
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 5:21:14 AM
there is a nuance:
If he is summoned to court ( as accused ) - he appears before the court
visualize this as everyone looking at him

If he just turns up - he appears at the court
visualize this as if he comes in, and only a few will notice because he is not the centre of attention
Topic: made it this far
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 5:04:59 AM
It means that the person speaking assumed the one who is shaking would give up before reaching the spot they are located.

It also imples that there is still some more to come.
Topic: abyssal
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 4:37:39 AM

I see unfathomable as a synonym to abyssal - which it is ,

However there is slight historical difference. Fathomable refers to the rope used for depth-sounding ( before the sonar was invented), and the length was measured in fathoms - an anthropomorphic measurement: the length between the fingertips when a grown man stretches out, and standardised to 180cm
The length of the rope was in usually limited to 100 fathoms, thus one could not measure deeper than 180m sub-sea, which then was set as the limit of the continental shelf.

Unfathomable therefore meant something that was deep beyond measurement, while abyssal was just deep
Topic: venezuelan pox
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 11:56:42 AM
I have never heard about it before -
You have maybe read about it in "The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead ??
which is a work of fiction, however it should also be noted that in the XIXth century there were several diseases which do not not correspond to any modern equivalent. A third alternative is that the person is inventing a new contageous disease using the term french pox as template ( = syphilis / small pox = variola minor - chicken pox = varicella zost )
Topic: Je perds mon français
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 8:55:26 AM
Bonjour brund,
Je suis un peu comme toi, ayant appris le français en maternelle et CP CE1-2
En consequence la grammaire et l'orthographe française est nase, mais je le parle aisémant. Je suis polyglote maitrisant environ 5 langues, mais maitriser est un mot imprecis.

Un problème c'est que la langue apprise en bas age, n'est pas la même que l'on parle à l'age adulte. Essaye d'ouvrir un compte a vue avec le vocabulaire d'un enfant.
Je l'ai fait avec une agente bienveillante :-) Elle a due penser au debut que j'étais un Parisien taré.
Il y a aussi des neologismes comme 'vapoter' 'couriel' et.c qui arrivent au fur et a mesure que la technologie progresse.
Topic: have their bones dug up
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 8:23:51 AM
The origin is a cultural taboo: A persons bodily remains after death are supposed to be left undisturbed in a grave. Hence a reluctance of judges to allow re-opening graves unless there are serious crimes or enough "good reason" to do so.
To dig up the bones or the body was an insult to the dead, and presumed to lessen the deceased chances of "a life in the hereafter"
Topic: Where am I going to seat?
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 6:51:19 AM
There are problems with your sentences:
pulled is in 'past tense' - sit is 'present tense'

seat is a noun not a verb - the infinitive of the verb is 'to sit'

thus: He pulled me aside and sat on it /or/ He pulled me aside to sit on it
"Where am I going to sit? I have no seat

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.