The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: georgieporgie
User Name: georgieporgie
Forum Rank: Member
Gender: None Specified
Home Page
Joined: Monday, August 07, 2017
Last Visit: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:30:18 PM
Number of Posts: 112
[0.01% of all post / 0.50 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Should there be a comma after "And"?
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:29:56 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Of the seven who applied, Anson said Joanne and Kheng Yee fit his requirements the best. They were young, passionate and completely new to the hawker trade. And indeed, the two, who met while they were studying in the polytechnic, recalled bonding over a shared interest in F&B even as students.

Should there be a comma after "And"?


I don't think so. Also, there are people who object to starting a sentence with the word "and," but in your example I think the sentence is grammatical and pleasing.
Topic: The active form of 'don't believe it has to be installed'(must, needn't, have to, need to, have to)
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 5:01:30 PM
A cooperator wrote:
Audiendus wrote:
Sorry, but I do not wish to discuss this further. Not talking

Hello, Audiendus,

I know this thread took a lot of your precious time. Even if there might be other enquiries coming to mind, then I would either leave them or post them in a new thread.
However, this is just a conclusion for the two previous points discussed in the two previous posts. It would be greately appreciated if you could at least confirm them on my same post if it would take much time of your time.
I want to know if my conclusion is correct or not.

Coop, what you're repeatedly asking is not suitable for an online forum such as this one. It will just take huge amounts of time from forum members without properly answering your questions, as you have seen. You need person-to-person instruction.

I have sent you links to local English instruction classes in Yemen, but you have never replied. Why not?
Topic: The position of ‘only’ (Adverb position - mid-position)
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 6:22:53 PM
Topic: Please proofread the sentence.
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 2:14:05 PM
kingston124 wrote:
Sentence: Michael occupies the seat next to Sheela but Benson replaces it while Henry watching them.

This question exemplifies why context is so important in these questions. Your question cannot be answered without knowing the circumstances involved.

Michael occupies (is occupying) the seat next to Sheela ...

... but Benson replaces it (replaces what? the seat? or displaces Michael?

... while Henry (is) watching them (watching Sheela and Benson?).
Topic: get the face
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:09:39 PM
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:

But if you start using long pauses between the answers, you're probably gonna get the face.

Need help with this.

You need to post context to explain what the question means.
"Get the face" sometimes means a facial expression of displeasure.
Topic: The explosive
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 3:59:30 PM
And that's the end of that!
Topic: Asked to
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 4:20:25 PM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

In this extract from the book For God's Sake, one question is asked to four Australian writers with very different beliefs.
Should it not be "asked from"?

Would you please explain the construction?

The question is directed to the writers. One could also say "is asked of the writers".

It is the answer that comes from the writers.
Topic: Is there a difference between the sentences?
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:31:27 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
1. Mr Lim's son, Lim Eng Seng, said that although his father is not feeling well, he has gone to work.
2. Mr Lim's son Lim Eng Seng said that although his father is not feeling well, he has gone to work.

Is there a difference between the sentences? Do the highlighted commas in #1 affect the meaning?


The meaning is not affected by presence or absence of the commas. However, the sentence is poorly written as it does not clearly indicate whether "he" refers to the son or to the father.
Topic: Subject-independence in Modal verbs and in other verbs that are followed by infinitive. (Verbs)
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 2:39:18 PM
A cooperator wrote:

" ... if I am going to be taught by non-native English teachers at an English institute, they will definitely wrongly be teaching me the English language. ... Whoever thinks taking a course in an English institute would let him be familiar with how each verb in English language is used will be wrong."

Where is your evidence for that statement? Does it apply to ALL English institutes? And why do you want to become familiar with each verb before you gain basic conversational fluency?

With such attitude it is not surprising that you say "Although I have now been struggling and studying English language through a self-study and on English forums for about over than 4 years, I still feel as if my English still needs to be developed."

Your own words are evidence that an online forum such as this has not worked for you and can not serve as an English language teaching vehicle.

My conclusion from the above is that you should enroll in a quality English language class and approach it with an open mind.
Topic: Should "etc." be omitted?
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2017 6:15:24 PM
I think the sentence reads better with it omitted, though the original sentence is not grammatically wrong.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.