User Name: Y111
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 397
[0.04% of all post / 0.24 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The fault aloofness
Posted: Friday, March 5, 2021 8:58:12 PM
You are probably right. Thanks for the hint!
Topic: The fault aloofness
Posted: Friday, March 5, 2021 5:14:15 AM
Quote:
And so it went, Kennedy thought. Emotional involvement. Soap opera on a cosmic scale. It was now a little over a month since the Kennedy-Spalding pseudo-colony had received its official unveiling, and in that month life with Marge had grown increasingly difficult.

It was nothing overt, of course. She never spoke of Kennedy’s work. But there were the silences in the evening where once there had been enthusiastic chatter, the slight stiffness of the jaws and lips, the fault aloofness. They were not close any more, and even their banter had a strained, artificial character.

What is the meaning of 'fault' here?
Topic: A working clan system
Posted: Thursday, March 4, 2021 3:51:20 AM
Thank you, thar!
Topic: A working clan system
Posted: Thursday, March 4, 2021 2:28:17 AM
Quote:
“During our stay,” Brewster went on, “we learned the rudiments of their language. It’s a fairly simple agglutinating tongue, and our linguists are at work on it now. We discovered that the Ganymedeans have a working clan system, with sharp tribal rivalries, and also that they show neither any particular fear or any liking for us. The expeditionary geologist’s report shows that Ganymede is exceptionally rich in radioactive minerals. Thank you.”

What meaning does the 'working' add to the 'clan system'?
Topic: Cultural Oxymoron
Posted: Monday, February 8, 2021 2:25:30 AM
FounDit wrote:
So it seems we're both living in a fantasy world.

Everyone lives in a bubble. It's transparent but it also reflects back what we project onto it from our minds. So our outside impressions mingle with our thoughts into something similar to augmented reality. No wonder people so often disagree about what is going on. They see different pictures.
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2021 1:50:32 PM
Hope123 wrote:
I never meant this as condescending and was just making a point that self confident people do not feel threatened by "others".

OK, but it had little to do with my post. So it was clear to me that you hadn't really paid attention to what I had said. Instead you told me something that everyone knows. That's why I saw your reply as dismissive and condescending.

Hope123 wrote:
If my factual statement offended you or anyone, I am sorry. It is never my intent to do so.

Not the statement itself, as I explained above. I am also sorry if you were offended by my response.
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2021 1:16:52 AM
Hope123 wrote:
And yes Y111, there are other self confident white males and females, straight and gay, who do not feel threatened by those different from themselves, but that is not what the cartoon was purveying.

Thanks for the info. :) However, do you really think it was needed? My point was that besides the apparent, intended message, the cartoon also conveys a subliminal one. You could have agreed or disagreed with me, and that would have been discussion. But instead you decided to teach me the obvious, as if I were a child. Your reply was condescending and dismissive, and therefore offensive.

I believe we should avoid treating others as ignorant dimwits just because they have said something we don't immediately understand or see the truth of. Actually, even if they are indeed wrong, is it enough reason to treat them like that? I used to think it was a fundamental part of Western culture, something you Westerners could be rightly proud of, that everyone has the right to be wrong. But it seems I now have to change my mind on that. You seem to become more and more totalitarian and intolerant of dissent.

You may swear by democracy all the time, but if you have gone past it in thinking, how can it be retained in culture and government? The form may persist, but if the spirit it gone, it will be just camouflage for something else.
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2021 10:08:54 PM
According to that picture, white males are only good if they are gay. But if someone is male and white but not gay, who will he identify with in the picture? Naturally with the armed guy. There is just no other option there for him. So the picture actually says, "If you are a heterosexual white man, go to Trump. People like you are all there."
Topic: An asterisk in US history.
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2021 9:31:49 AM
Closed but not completely, it seems. :)
Topic: Pitched battle
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2021 8:14:07 AM
OK, I seem to understand. Thank you both for your answers!