Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 190
[0.02% of all post / 0.63 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Birthday of Kim Il-Sung
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:01:04 PM
Thank you, Drag0nspeaker, I see your point. In that sense, probably only some small countries deserve that name.
Topic: Roger water’s reaction to syria attack : false propaganda
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:56:20 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
One character has the hair of Trump - though I don't know who the face is meant to be.
One is a mixture of Frau Merkel and Mrs May.
I've no idea who the other is - it just looks like "a person who doesn't wear a beard and turban".
I doubt that most people in Turkey would even recognise as much as that about the three cartoon characters.

They are apparently Trump, May and Macron. The leaders of the three nations that participated in the recent attack on Syria. I can't speak for the Turks but I recognized them immediately.

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
The other cartoons only show one Jew and one Muslim - so what?

I can't recognize those, to be sure. :)
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:25:08 PM
towan52 wrote:
"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"

If you were a hero, you'd have rescued some vodka, starichok. ;)
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:02:45 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:

Again, each of them had their reasons. Picturing them in this way doesn't help anything. Today you picture political leaders of three major coutries as cannibals. Tomorrow they will want to retaliate and publish a picture of Russians eating Syrian children.

I mean, this is all bullshit. Trading insults instead of serious talk. It's just not the right way to handle things.

Reasons? Cannibals have their reasons too, don't they? ;)

I was just curious why Drag0nspeaker had said "all" when there were only three. Maybe he simply expressed his own opinion about western leaders, who knows? The cartoon might have been just a trigger. :)
Topic: Birthday of Kim Il-Sung
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:15:42 AM
Are "civilized" and "peaceful" synonyms in English? In Russian they don't seem to be. At least I don't see them as such. If you are uncivilized, you take a stone and hit your enemy on the head till he dies. Or something similar. Whereas if you are civilized, you just use some more sophisticated way to kill him. Maybe with a missile launched from a submarine.

Maybe that's only one meaning of the word. However, it exists, and I think it's what is meant when we talk about civilized nations. Because they've been fighting each other all the way. Does that mean their civilization wasn't developing and there is no difference between them and some Stone Age tribes?
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:53:35 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

One equates all western leaders with cannibals.

Why all? There are only three of them in the picture.
Topic: They are not seeming to understand
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 8:30:22 AM
Thank you, guys, I see your point. The second sentence is said to be from the American series The Walking Dead. Also, consider this quote from The Guardian.

As sophisticated algorithms can complete tasks we once thought impossible, computers are seeming to become a real threat to humanity.

So, am I right to think that what the writer actually meant was "computers seem to be becoming a real threat" but he/she somehow applied the progressive form to the wrong verb?
Topic: They are not seeming to understand
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 6:38:36 AM
1) They do not seem to understand the situation.
2) They are not seeming to understand the situation.

What is the difference in meaning?
Topic: Which one is correct to native speakers? Why?
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 1:14:47 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Q1. I can't make your sentences in Q1 make sense.

If there are people (plural) who BELIEVE in ancient myths, he cannot be the only one.

So native speakers would not use either of those sentences.

Of those rare people, he is the only one who believes in ancient myths. Does it work this way? Or maybe it should be "among those rare people"?
Topic: Meritocracy in the Corner.
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 1:07:33 AM
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Politicians don't give a fig for meritocracy? Why should they not?

They probably see politics more as a game than a service. Their goal is to get closer to the top, to obtain more influence. So they do whatever helps them achieve that. If being good worked for getting more power, there would be meritocracy, but apparently it doesn't.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.