Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,328
[0.24% of all post / 2.68 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: code of silence
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 7:19:40 AM
A code of silence is a condition in effect when a person opts to withhold what is believed to be vital or important information voluntarily or involuntarily.
Topic: Honduras Independence Day
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 7:16:28 AM
When is Honduran Independence Day?

This public holiday is Honduras' National Day and is always celebrated on 15th September. It commemorates the independence of the Central American provinces from Spanish rule in 1821.
Topic: There was an immeasurable distance between the quick and the dead: they did not seem to belong to the same species; and it...
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:18:16 AM
This is something to ponder. Death is so quick, but life takes a long time to construct, develop, and evolve.
Topic: Dame Agatha Christie (1890)
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:04:28 AM
Agatha Christie quotes

“I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow; but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing.”

― Agatha Christie
Topic: Steam Locomotive John Bull Operates for the First Time (1831)
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:56:12 AM
The steam locomotive John Bull was built in 1831 and ran for 35 years, pulling trains of passengers and cargo between the two largest cities of the time, Philadelphia and New York. The locomotive propelled trains at 25 to 30 miles per hour. The John Bull, which was ordered from England by Robert Stevens for his railroad company, was named after the mythical gentleman who symbolized England. It was assembled by Isaac Dripps, a young steamboat mechanic who had never seen a locomotive before. Despite his lack of direct experience, the pilot truck added by Dripps was adopted for use on virtually all American steam-powered locomotives except yard switcher types.

John Bull is the oldest locomotive in existence still capable of operation, as was demonstrated in 1981.
Topic: Tollund Man
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:50:44 AM
Tollund Man is the naturally mummified body of a man who lived during the 4th century BC, during the period characterised in Scandinavia as the Pre-Roman Iron Age. He was hanged as a sacrifice to the gods and placed in a peat bog where he remained preserved for more than two millennia. Today, the face of the Tollund Man is as preserved as the day he died. The look upon his face is calm and peaceful, as though looking upon a sleeping man.

It was 6 th May, 1950, when two brothers cutting peat in the Bjaeldskov bog, an area about 10 kilometres west of the Danish town of Silkeborg, came upon the lifeless body of a man. The man's physical features were so well-preserved that he was mistaken at the time of discovery for a recent murder victim and the police were called.

Puzzled by the appearance of the remains and recalling the discovery of two other ‘bog bodies’ in the same bog in 1927 and 1938, the police asked an archaeologist named P. V. Glob to come and view the discovery. Recognizing that this was an ancient burial, Glob began efforts to remove the body for further study.
Topic: Ending Exclamatory Sentences
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:36:33 AM
An exclamatory sentence makes a statement that conveys strong emotion or excitement. Placing that tiny stripe above a period at the end of a sentence can really rock the boat! For example:

"I got the concert tickets!"

"Ugh! Why are you yelling at me?"

"I'm not!"

Have you ever had a text conversation go something like that? Your friend is trying to convey excitement and instead of throwing in some emojis, she uses exclamation marks. No big deal, but it can come across as a different kind of emotion, like anger or frustration.

In truth, exclamation marks are like sugar. Sometimes they can be too much. So, be careful if you just mean to say, "I need some coffee," rather than "I need some coffee!" the next time you're contemplating this magical bean.

Your tone, the emphasis you place on certain words, and your inflection can all change the meaning - and possibly the urgency - of your sentence.

Let's take a look at some exclamatory sentence examples. We've broken them up into their most common categories.

Exclamatory Sentence Examples
Exclamatory Sentences That Express Strong Emotion:
Happy birthday, Amy!
Thank you, Sheldon!
I hate you!
Ice cream sundaes are my favorite!
Exclamatory sentences are so powerful they can stand alone. For example:

Wow, I really love you!
Fantastic, let's go!
In these instances, you don't have to divide the sentiment into two separate sentences. Instead, insert a comma where the speaker would naturally pause and then finish off with that indicator of excitement, the exclamation mark.

Exclamatory Sentences That Begin with "What:"
What a lovely bouquet of flowers!
What a cute puppy!
What an ugly bug!
What a happy ending!
Exclamatory Sentences That Begin with "How:"
How bright they've grown in the sunlight!
How well he listens!
How slow they crawl!
How fast you ran!
Exclamatory Sentences Containing "So:"
That birthday cake was so good!
Sheldon's gift was so amazing!
Eugh, that bug is so ugly!
I'm so mad right now!
Exclamatory Sentences Containing "Such:"
He's such a kind soul!
That's such a gorgeous ring!
Your puppy is such a cutie!
You're such a liar!

Avoid Exclamations in Academic Writing
Exclamatory sentences don't really have a place in academic writing or reports. Short of quoting someone else, they are to be avoided. Academic papers are going to be filled with declarative sentences, which make a statement, or interrogative sentences, which pose a question.

Declarative sentences relay information, plain and simple. They're always punctuated by a period. Interrogative sentences ask questions and they're punctuated by a question mark.

An imperative sentence is also not used much in academic writing, but if you see it in other writing it may be confused with an exclamatory sentence as it can also end with an exclamation point. The difference to remember is that an exclamatory sentence will always express heightened emotion.

Use With Caution
In the end, it's best to leave exclamatory sentences for the lighter side of life. It's okay to create a casual blog post with an exclamatory sentence or two. A script for an episode of Friends will be full of exclamatory sentences - and that's why we loved it so much. However, a paper focusing on the benefits of herbal medicine should be far less driven by exclamations. Let your writing speak for itself. Choose clear, concise tones and avoid the urge to place that stripe above your periods (!).

See similar articles
Topic: cross-grained
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:33:58 AM
cross-grained adjective

Definition of cross-grained
1: difficult to deal with
her husband's self-absorbed and cross-grained nature
— Lance Morrow

2: having the grain or fibers running diagonally, transversely, or irregularly
Topic: left-field
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 4:49:48 AM
left field

1. singular noun

If you say that someone or something has come out of left field or is out in left field, you mean that they are untypical, unusual, or strange in some way.
The question came out of left field, but Mary Ann wasn't really surprised.
He is, like most theorists, out there in left field, ignoring the experimental evidence.

2. adjective [usually ADJECTIVE noun]

Left-field means slightly odd or unusual.
[mainly British, informal]
...a left-field cabaret act.
Her parents were creative and left-field and wanted Polly to become a singer or a truck driver.

COBUILD Advanced English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
Topic: left-field
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 4:41:57 AM
Thank you, it's a new expression to me.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.