User Name: Adyl Mouhei
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3,890
[0.40% of all post / 3.64 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: have got to (do something)
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:32:51 AM
You use have got to when you are saying that something is necessary or must happen in the way stated. In informal American English, the 'have' is sometimes omitted. [spoken] I'm not happy with the situation, but I've just got to accept it.

www.collinsdictionary.com › english › have-got-to-do-something
Topic: Pascua Florida Day
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:30:03 AM
Juan Ponce de León was born in the village of Santervás de Campos in the northern part of what is now the Spanish province of Valladolid. Although early historians placed his birth in 1475, more recent evidence shows he was likely born in 1474. His family genealogy is extremely confusing and poorly documented.[citation needed] There is no consensus on who his parents were but it seems that he was a member of a distinguished and influential noble family. His relatives included Rodrigo Ponce de León, Marquis of Cádiz a celebrated figure in the Moorish wars.

http://www.daysuntil.com/Pascua-Florida-Day/index.html
Topic: The stains of her grief became her as raindrops do the beaten rose.
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:58:41 AM
“Everything about her was warm and soft and scented; even the stains of her grief became her as raindrops do the beaten rose.”
— Edith Wharton
Topic: Émile François Zola (1840)
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:51:51 AM
Zola was born in Paris in 1840. His father, François Zola (originally Francesco Zolla), was an Italian engineer. With his French wife, Émilie Aurélie Aubert, the family moved to Aix-en-Provence, in the southeast, when he was three years old. Four years later, in 1847, his father died, leaving his mother on a meagre pension.

In 1858, the Zolas moved to Paris, where Émile’s childhood friend the painter Paul Cezanne soon joined him. Zola started to write in the romantic style. His widowed mother had planned a law career for Émile, but he failed his Baccalauréat examination.

Before his breakthrough as a writer, Zola worked as a clerk in a shipping firm, and then in the sales department for publisher Louis Christophe Francois Hachette. He also wrote literary and art reviews for newspapers.

https://www.sueyounghistories.com/2010-05-12-emile-francois-zola-1840-e28093-1902/
Topic: As the World Turns Premieres (1956)
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:24:14 AM
As the World Turns (often referred to as ATWT) is an American television soap opera which aired on CBS from April 2, 1956 to September 17, 2010.

Set in the fictional town of Oakdale, Illinois, the show debuted on April 2, 1956, at 1:30 pm EST. Prior to then, all serials were fifteen minutes in length. As the World Turns and The Edge of Night, which premiered on the same day at 4:30 pm EST, were the first two to be thirty minutes in length from their premiere.

https://soaps.fandom.com/wiki/As_the_World_Turns
Topic: Modal Verbs that Indicate Ability
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:10:51 AM
Modal Verbs of Ability

The modal verbs of ability show just that -- ability. Ability can be expressed in the past, present, or future.

It can be an ability that was used over and over again, or something that was done just once, on a special, or rare, occasion.

The modal verbs of ability are can, could, and be able to.

Can is used to talk about ability in the present or future.
He can read well.

Could is used to talk about ability in the past.
He could read well when he was younger.

Be able to is used to talk about a certain, or particular, ability.
He was able to read when he was 4 years old.

** While could might be used in the last example, be able to emphasizes the early age at which he could read.

Could have, followed by a past participle indicates an ability NOT used and often shows disapproval.
He could have called me! (He didn't)

Could not have followed by a past participle indicates that an ability didn't exist in the past.
I couldn't have phoned you yesterday, because I lost my phone last week.

Be able to is used with other modals or when forming the 'ing' or 'to' infinitive forms.
You will have the satisfaction of being able to read my report.
Nobody will be able to read what you have written.

We use can or could with the senses verbs; see, hear, smell, etc., to say that someone is aware of something through their senses.
I can smell gas downstairs.
I could see a few stars in the sky last night.
I couldn't hear what she said because of the noise.

http://www.advanced-english-grammar.com/modal-verbs-of-ability.html
Topic: washed-out
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:54:04 AM
Washed out:

Adjective:
Faded by or as if by sunlight or repeated washing.
"Washed-out jeans"

Synonyms:
faded
blanched
bleached
lightened
decolorized
stonewashed
pale
light
flat
drab
grey
muted
lacklustre
lustreless
watery

Antonyms:
bold
vivid
(of a person) pale and tired.
"He had pale grey eyes that made him appear tired and washed-out"

Synonyms:
wan
pallid
pale
white
grey
pasty
pasty-faced

Oxford Dictionary
Topic: Ardashir I
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:46:45 AM
Ardashir (Arđaxšēr from Middle Persian and Parthian Artaxšaθra, Pahlavi ʼrthštr, "Who has the Divine Order as his Kingdom") is also known as Ardashīr-i Pāpagān "Ardashir, son of Pāpağ," and other variants of his name include Latinized Artaxares and Artaxerxes.

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Ardashir_I
Topic: have a good name (somewhere or in something)
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 10:08:51 AM
Definition of good name:
a person's good reputation
I don't want the scandal to ruin my good name.
Topic: Ashokashtami
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 9:58:33 AM
The Legend:
There is a puranical account about the origin of the festival. It is said that Lord Ramachandra, inspite of all efforts couldn't kill Ravana as Goddess Kali was protecting him. Then he was advised by 'Bibhisana', the younger brother of Ravana to propitiate the Mother Goddess and win Her support. Then Ramachandra prayed the Goddess for long seven days with elaborate rituals and could please Her to withdraw support from Ravana.

http://www.aryabhatt.com/fast_fair_festival/Festivals/Ashokashtami.htm