[0.54% of all post / 4.35 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Enough is equal to a feast.
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 6:27:03 AM
It depends.

Topic: I take it
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 10:33:14 AM
I take it

You can say 'I take it' to check with someone that what you believe to be the case or what you understand them to mean is in fact the case, or is in fact what they mean.
I take it you're a friend of the Kellings, Mr Burr.
I take it that neither of you reads 'The Times'.
'You've no objection, I take it?'—'Of course not.'

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/
Topic: International Day of Peace
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 10:22:00 AM
Shaping Peace Together

Each year the International Day of Peace is observed around the world on 21 September. The UN General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, through observing 24 hours of non-violence and cease-fire.

https://www.un.org/en/observances/international-day-peace
Topic: The first duty of a lecturer—to hand you after an hour's discourse a nugget of pure truth to wrap up between the pages of...
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 9:51:44 AM
And after the duty of the lecturer comes our duty which is not to keep it on the mantelpiece forever.
Topic: Heike Kamerlingh Onnes (1853)
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 8:48:56 AM
Science Quotes by Heike Kamerlingh Onnes

According to my views, aiming at quantitative investigations, that is at establishing relations between measurements of phenomena, should take first place in the experimental practice of physics. By measurement to knowledge [door meten tot weten] I should like to write as a motto above the entrance to every physics laboratory.

— Heike Kamerlingh Onnes
Topic: Heike Kamerlingh Onnes (1853)
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 8:47:14 AM
Heike Kamerlingh Onnes, (born Sept. 21, 1853, Groningen, Neth.—died Feb. 21, 1926, Leiden), Dutch winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1913 for his work on low-temperature physics and his production of liquid helium. He discovered superconductivity, the almost total lack of electrical resistance in certain materials when cooled to a temperature near absolute zero.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Heike-Kamerlingh-Onnes
Topic: "Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus" Editorial Is Published (1897)
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 8:15:54 AM
Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus: Topics in Chronicling America

In 1897, a child asks a trusted newspaper about the existence of Santa Claus and an anonymous editor answers. This guide provides access to materials related to "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" in the Chronicling America digital collection.

Were her classmates right? Is there really no Santa Claus? When eight-year-old Virginia O’Hanlon sent a letter to the New York Sun asking, “Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus,” the newspaper’s editor handed it to Francis Pharcellus Church, a sardonic Columbia College graduate and veteran Sun writer for reply. Church reportedly “bristled and pooh-poohed,” yet produced a masterpiece, under deadline, and in fewer than 500 words. Appearing in the Sun on September 21, 1897, “Is There a Santa Claus” is perhaps the most famous editorial ever written, translated into some 20 languages and even set to music. The press tracked Virginia until her retirement as a 70-year-old school teacher, while Church remained anonymous as the author until his 1906 death.

https://guides.loc.gov/chronicling-america-yes-virginia
Topic: Defining Superlative Adjectives
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 8:02:48 AM
What Is a Superlative Adjective?

Are you unclear about just what is a superlative adjective? It's an adjective that takes a comparison to the highest degree. There are two types of adjectives that are used when comparing two or more nouns: comparative adjectives and superlative adjectives. Like all adjectives, comparative and superlative adjectives modify, or describe, a noun or pronoun by giving additional information about its appearance or other qualities.

While a comparative adjective describes the difference between two items, a superlative adjective compares three or more nouns. For example:

My mother's cooking is the best in the family.

In this sentence, the superlative adjective best compares my mother's cooking to everyone else in the family. As it describes the highest degree of difference, hers is the most delicious. The highest degree could also be that her cooking is the worst, an equal but opposite superlative adjective. When using a superlative adjective, the thing being described is always on one end of the spectrum, never in the middle of the pack.

https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/
Topic: chivvy
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 7:50:46 AM
Chivvy

Tell (someone) repeatedly to do something.
"An association which chivvies government into action"

Synonyms :
nag
badger
hound
harass
harry
keep after

Oxford Languages
Topic: Flan
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 5:07:39 AM
WHAT IS FLAN?

Flan, or crème caramel, is a creamy custard dessert topped with caramel that’s popular in Mexico, Spain and many Latin American countries.

It’s known for its smooth and creamy consistency that’s achieved by cooking the custard in a water bath, or a bain-marie or baño-maría. Doing so creates steam in the oven which gently and evenly cooks the flan, keeping it moist and ensuring that the eggs aren’t overcooked and curdled or scrambled.

The flan is cooked with the caramel on the bottom of the pan and the custard mixture on top. After it’s cooked and sufficiently cooled, the flan is then inverted onto a plate to reveal a rich and golden caramel sauce that perfectly covers the top of the flan!

https://www.isabeleats.com/flan-recipe/