Number of Posts: 1,803
[0.19% of all post / 2.23 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: false friend
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:45:38 AM
False friend or false cognates.
Topic: World Eskimo-Indian Olympics
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:41:00 AM
Eskimo or Eskimos are the indigenous peoples who have traditionally inhabited the northern ... The word Eskimo derives from phrases that Algonquin tribes used for their northern neighbors.
Topic: It is curious how instinctively one protects the image of oneself from idolatry or any other handling that could make it...
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:08:06 AM
If anyone undertakes such an action, it should be the evidence of his/her authenticity.
Topic: S.Y. Agnon (1888)
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:02:57 AM
One of the most prolific and celebrated Hebrew authors of the 20th century offered some insights into his enigmatic life and work. In his life and work, truth bleeds into fiction
Topic: Napalm Incendiary Bombs Dropped for First Time by US Air Force (1944)
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:59:10 AM
Napalm can cause death by burns or asphyxiation. ... This effect occurs because napalm partially combusts the oxygen in the air, turning CO2 (carbon dioxide) into CO (carbon monoxide). In some cases, people have been boiled to death in rivers made hot by the heat of napalm bombs.
Topic: Soul Train
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:55:09 AM
One of that pivotal episode’s enraptured viewers was critic Greg Tate, then a high school student in Washington DC. “The fact that somebody could have an all-black audience dancing to all-black musicians every Saturday,” he says, “reflected a serious paradigm shift in American mass entertainment.”
Topic: Sport
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:30:28 AM
'sport'' is a noun (it can also be a verb) and ''sports'' is both a noun (plural) and an adjective. When you're talking about more than one sport, then you say "sports". ... When you're talking about one specific sport you use the word "sport". For example, My favorite sport is playing basketball
Topic: Will
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:25:05 AM
" Perfect English Grammar "

Will + infinitive Be going to + infinitive
A decision at the moment of speaking:

Julie: There's no milk.
John: Really? In that case, I'll go and get some. A decision before the moment of speaking:

Julie: There's no milk.
John: I know. I'm going to go and get some when this TV program finishes.
A prediction based on opinion:

I think the Conservatives will win the next election. A prediction based on something we can see (or hear) now:

The Conservatives are going to win the election. They already have most of the votes.
A future fact:

The sun will rise tomorrow.
Topic: Would
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:16:21 AM
I'd like to point out to the difference between used to and would. The first difference is that Would should not be used unless it has already been established that the time frame is in the past, while Used to does not require this. The second difference between Used to and Would is that Would is not used with stative verbs such as love, be, understand, and feel.
Topic: Captain Obvious
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:30:15 AM
Sometimes we deliberately state the obvious either to remind or to emphasize something.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.