Last 10 Posts
Topic: run into
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 5:20:33 PM
Thank you so much.

I am looking forward to your answers.
Topic: IELTS TASK2 Essay #1
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 5:19:09 PM
FounDit wrote:
I don't think it would be right to correct your essay, but I will say that I see only minor mistakes. Unless your teacher is very strict, you should get a good grade on it.

Thank you dear FounDit. But there is no teacher. I have chosen a topic on my own and written that essay. This is going to be one in a long series over a one-year period. I am going to take the IELTS test in one year. I am practicing by myself. So, kindly let me know my errors please.

Topic: run into
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 4:54:39 PM
Hello respected teachers,

Is the following grammatical?

It shows a period of time started last year running into the present time.

Topic: IELTS TASK2 Essay #1
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 3:48:41 PM

May I ask you to check my essay please?

It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, it is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Write at least 250 words.
My response:

When discussing to what extent a person can improve in skills associated with arts or sports, two different factors come to mind: nature and nurture. Some believe that with practice and decent training a child can become a skillful performer, while others argue that one must be born with certain gifts to excel in a skill.

It is a widely held belief that children can acquire any skill with guided practice and a professional teacher. Plenty of anecdotal evidence also approves of this point of view. For instance,there are many sports star and musicians who have been practicing and trained since childhood, and now play at an international level.

That said, there are strong arguments for the relative importance of innate talent in the success of a player. As a matter of fact, there is more to a skill than a learned technique- for had it not been so, everybody would have become as superstar in their profession. That extra mile actually has to be gone with innate ability and talent.

In my point of view, talent and training are not mutually exclusive. If one truly wants to excel and exploit their potential ability, they should consider both training and talent altogether. Therefore, it is well-advised for a child to be firstly checked for the area they are talented in, and then they must be put in the right path and given enough time to flourish.

By way of conclusion, while it is possible for one to acquire a specific skill via intense and supervised training, becoming a standout performer and going beyond mediocre levels call for some talent.

269 words.

Topic: set it in the holder
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 4:42:07 PM

Outside the window now the great star slowly sank. He got up out of bed and put on his slippers and bathrobe and went softly upstairs to the attic and found the box of Christmas-tree decorations. He took them downstairs into the living room. Then he brought in the tree. It was a little one-they had not had a big tree since the children went away-but he set it in the holder and put it in the middle of the long table under the window. Then he carefully began to trim it.

Does "set it in the holder" mean that he put the tree in a holder?

Topic: in or on?
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 4:39:47 PM

Outside the window now the great star slowly sank. He got up out of bed and put on his slippers and bathrobe and went softly upstairs to the attic and found the box of Christmas-tree decorations. He took them downstairs into the living room. Then he brought in the tree. It was a little one-they had not had a big tree since the children went away-but he set it in the holder and put it in the middle of the long table under the window. Then he carefully began to trim it.

Doesn't the word 'table' take the preposition 'on'? Why is it 'in' in the above?

Topic: to
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 3:26:36 PM

Is the following grammatical? I can't work out the role of 'to'!

The task went more easily than he had ever known it to before.

Now that I wrote it here something came to my mind. Is it a short form for 'to go'?

Topic: spiked with stubble
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 2:40:25 PM
Thank you very much.

Topic: spiked with stubble
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 9:28:46 AM

What does "spiked with stubble" mean in the following poem?

There were ten thousand thousand fruit to touch,
Cherish in hand, lift down, and not let fall.
For all
That struck the earth,
No matter if not bruised or spiked with stubble,
Went surely to the cider-apple heap
As of no worth.

Topic: relative
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:10:01 AM
Thank you both.
Your explanation was great as always, DS.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.