Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 288
[0.03% of all post / 0.46 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: be sick to death of (something)
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:15:51 AM
be sick to death of (something)
To be or become exceedingly wearied by, bored of, or exasperated with something. I'm sick to death of doing my boss's errands. If something doesn't change soon, I'm going to quit! I was all gung-ho about this graduate program when I first began, but I must admit that I've been sick to death of these boring lectures lately.
Topic: Though a man be wise, it is no shame for him to live and learn.
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:14:24 AM
Though a man be wise, it is no shame for him to live and learn.

Sophocles (496 BC-406 BC)
Topic: Edward "Eddie" Rickenbacker (1890)
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:13:58 AM
Edward "Eddie" Rickenbacker (1890)
A skilled American racecar driver, Rickenbacker entered World War I as a driver but soon became a fighter pilot. He shot down 26 enemy aircraft, earning the Congressional Medal of Honor and the moniker "Ace of Aces." After a failed foray into automobile manufacturing, he ran several airlines for General Motors and eventually acquired one of them. In 1942, his plane was lost while on a tour of military bases in the Pacific, and he was presumed dead, but he was rescued after how many days adrift?
Topic: Raytheon Patents Percy Spencer's Microwave (1945)
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:13:34 AM
Raytheon Patents Percy Spencer's Microwave (1945)
Self-taught engineer Percy Spencer discovered the cooking potential of microwaves in the 1940s. While working on magnetrons for the Raytheon Company, he noticed that a peanut butter chocolate bar in his pocket had melted. He determined that microwaves emitted from his magnetrons had cooked the candy bar and confirmed this theory by testing it on popcorn. Raytheon patented Spencer's microwave oven in 1945 and put it on the market in 1947. What was the first food to explode in a microwave?
Topic: The Piraeus Lion
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:13:09 AM
The Piraeus Lion
The Piraeus Lion is a white marble statue that stood in the ancient Athenian harbor of Piraeus and served as a famous landmark from about 100 CE on. Looted by Venetian naval commander Francesco Morosini in 1687, it is today on display at Italy's Venetian Arsenal. The lion is most notable for the two lengthy runic inscriptions carved on its sides by Scandinavian mercenaries in the 11th century. There have been several attempts to decipher and translate the text, which scholars believe says what?
Topic: Evaluative Adverbs that Indicate Attitude
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:08:46 AM
Evaluative Adverbs that Indicate Attitude
There are several types of evaluative adverbs, which can be classified according to their function. We can use evaluative adverbs to make our attitude about something clear. "Frankly" is an evaluative adverb that we can use in this way. What are others?
Topic: escargot
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:08:18 AM
escargot
Definition: (noun) Edible terrestrial snail usually served in the shell with a sauce of melted butter and garlic.
Synonyms: snail
Usage: I ordered escargot in an attempt to appear sophisticated, but when the plate of snails was set down before me, I could not bring myself to choke down a single one.
Topic: Virtue never has been as respectable as money.
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 10:53:29 PM
Virtue never has been as respectable as money.
Topic: Do you know why this world is as bad as it is? ... It is because people think only about their own business, and won't...
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2018 11:37:58 PM
Do you know why this world is as bad as it is? ... It is because people think only about their own business, and won't trouble themselves to stand up for the oppressed, nor bring the wrongdoer to light.
Topic: Siemens & Halske Telegraph Construction Company Is Founded (1847)
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 8:21:47 PM
Siemens & Halske Telegraph Construction Company Is Founded (1847)
Siemens AG is Europe's largest engineering conglomerate. It was originally founded to build telegraph installations, but under Werner Siemens and his three brothers, it expanded to produce cables, telephones, electric power, and electric lighting. The company built the first long-distance telegraph line in Europe, followed by the monumental Indo-European telegraph line that stretched from Calcutta, India, to London, England. What scandal tainted the company's reputation in the 1940s?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.