Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7
[0.00% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Maxwell Perkins (1884)
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:46:29 AM
This guy seems a man-of-letters worthy of the pride-most sake-keep. Laudable to a biopic? Methinks it be true but spake as sprung too soon.

(What a guy!) ((I am saving this page for laters))
Topic: To furnish the means of acquiring knowledge is . . . the greatest benefit that can be conferred upon mankind. It prolongs...
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 3:02:40 PM
Bully_rus wrote:
Daemon wrote:
To furnish the means of acquiring knowledge is . . . the greatest benefit that can be conferred upon mankind. It prolongs life itself and enlarges the sphere of existence.

John Quincy Adams (1767-1848)

There's too much information, there's too little knowledge... Does it mean a thing?

It means a lot. A life spent in mutliple storey parking lots discussing the life of Job and Lot in numerous modern plots. The deleterious influence of stagnation is herein known as the elixir of life. Suck too much of this magical smoothie and you will be bed ridden in Fyfe.

(Intelligence is superiority; knowledge is God).
Topic: Belladonna, n.: In Italian a beautiful lady; in English a deadly poison. A striking example of the essential identity of the...
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 7:20:00 AM
This quote is both cancerous and obscure. It alludes to the barriers between the two languages and the ease with which an Italian regards himself against his younger sibling in north Trent.

He's also taking a tidy shit on the idea of the English rose. Pretty savage. He probably womanised more than is ever revealed in text. His sense of romance is one the the best developed you can read. Joseph Conrad would buy him a beer(ierce).
Topic: You had no right to be born; for you make no use of life. Instead of living for, in, and with yourself, as a reasonable being...
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 1:06:37 PM
I mean Charlotte Bronte could assassinate some of today's Grime artists if we're being fair. Emily Bronte herself must have felt upended upon reading this sage play of prose, withering and deterministic though it may be. After all, Em "Heather" Bronte wrote Wuthering Heights with many choice words, the commonest of which I recall was 'convulsion' - a fine thing for a gob shot full of baltic gust.

After all you clean up window grime with an eroding, a scrubbing, a wiping and a drubbing - the end of which will be blown to the turf sod by the Wuthering Heights of Thrushcross Grange. R-e-s-p-e-c-t.
Topic: Grammar, n.: A system of pitfalls thoughtfully prepared for the feet for the self-made man, along the path by which he...
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2017 5:34:48 PM
This man wrote 'An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge' - one of the most tense, dense and romantic short stories I've ever encountered. I commend it as a rival to 'The Turning of the Screw' by Henry James in terms of narrative shrubbery: shady and convoluted yet seeringly linear in it's romantic suspense.
'An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge' regards a Confederate railroad worker who was hanged from the titular bridge - the plot features the lead character thwarting the hanging attempt to flee his captors through an improbable escape ploy. I think Ambrose Bierce knew what he was writing about when he correlated grammar with pitfalls - he wrote through and beyond pitfalls. I doff my hat.
Topic: The conquest of the earth, which mostly means the taking it away from those who have a different complexion or slightly...
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2017 6:46:07 AM
'The Heart of Darkness' and shorts such as 'The Anarchist' illustrate in a dim spectre the sullen despair that Conrad would regale his experiences in the lesser civilised corners of the earth. He was accused of racist, bigoted and sexist portrayals of the Congolese, of London Maidens and of deck-hands in HOD: all charges which hold some merit if you read the final act of the novella. The book is written in hyper elegant prose by someone for whom English was a third language, and is written in survivalist, negative language which fits the bill of a ruminative book about a grim nautical voyage. The book disinvests itself of damning levels of offence by the solemnity through which Kurtz (lead character) narrates the interaction between the Western man and the "savage". The author seems constantly amazed at the hisotrical era to which he was born and perhaps a little miffed. A powerful colonial writer for the British Empire who should be approached only by those who enjoy pessimistic philosophy.
Topic: In British English, should the full stop be inside or outside the close inverted commas?
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 9:06:59 AM
Most likely inside the quote - being that the sentence appears a whole clause. If the sentence being quoted did not end in a full stop, then your full stop should come after the quote.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.