User Name: Squawk Box
Forum Rank: Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 47
[0.01% of all post / 0.07 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Are the highlighted commas required?
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 11:58:38 AM
They seem to aid in understanding the sentence; so I would say yes, they are needed.
Topic: Can You Write with No Verbs?
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 6:24:44 PM
It would seem that you can write a sentence without using verbs; but I am not sure how long one could keep it up; and it would make for a bad form of writing anyway.
But, it was a clever question to ask; and it shows that you have, a deep witty mind. So, keep up the good work.
Topic: What do these words mean in this case?
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:06:18 PM
Maggie Q wrote:
The Rite Aid and the Shopwell are less than a mile from our house, in a little neighborhood strip mall which also supports a video store, a used-book store named Spread It Around (they do a very brisk business in my old paperbacks), a Radio Shack, and a Fast Foto. It's on Up-Mile Hill, at the intersection of Witcham and Jackson.

Q 1: in a little neighborhood strip mall --- In this case, what's the meaning of 'neighborhood?'
A 1: Neighborhood would mean the area and vicinity, around the store. For my purposes, I imagine that to be a 1/2 square mile radius.

Q 2: in a little neighborhood strip mall which also supports a video store --- In this case, what's the meaning of 'support?'
A 2: They rent videos from them, or buy what the store sells. [Since video stores have gone out of business, that is all past tense.]

Q 3: they do a very brisk business in my old paperbacks --- In this case, what's the meaning of 'in?'

A 3: I would use the words inclusive, or including; to describe what the word "in" is being used for. Example: Their business includes selling your old paperbacks.

Topic: God is in the details, yes, but in ALL the details big and small
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 5:10:25 PM
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
I waffle back and forth between thinking my life would be safer and easier if I had another job and feeling like things like that don’t matter. God is in the details, yes, but in ALL the details big and small. And He knows the course He has set for me.

Context: a cop is contemplating quitting the force.

Generally, I can tell this man is on the fence about changing job, and ultimately decided that it doesn't matter since if fate wants him to die, he will die regardless. What I don't get is the specifics of the sentence in bold. The one that follow suggests it should be taken literally. But how could something like God resides in all things, big and small, fit with the preceding sentence?

It may be that God has mapped out the course, that creation and mankind will follow. He made it all, so all of the details are there for Him to see, and be involved in.

New Living Translation
What is the price of two sparrows--one copper coin (a penny)? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.

That is some real detail, but God is not residing in the sparrow. It means that when the bird falls to the ground, God knows it. He has a record of all events that have transpired, even birds dying, and falling to Earth.

http://biblehub.com/matthew/10-29.htm
Topic: injured innocence
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 4:58:09 PM
onsen wrote:
Hello,

She replied to her father’s accusations in tones of injured innocence.
(from Oxford Collocations Dictionary for students of English)

What does the phrase 'injured innocence' mean?

Thank you

One synonym of innocence is guiltless. So she probably looked at herself as not guilty of an offense, and she would have felt injured by any accusation.
Maybe she felt guileless too, so she would feel hurt, buy his accusation. That is what I make of it.

b. Guiltlessness of a specific legal crime or offense.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/innocence
Topic: How does "dogs" come to mean "feet"?
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 4:38:44 PM
And of course, "My dogs are barking."
Topic: “Hands Off Pants On”
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 3:38:26 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It's a name for laws enforcing morals in hotels and so on.
Quote:
49% of housekeepers surveyed have had guest(s) expose themselves, flash them, or answer the door naked.
58% of all hotel workers surveyed (including housekeepers, room service servers, bartenders and waitresses) had experienced sexual harassment from guests, including incidences of sexual assault.

I could never improve on that, and it sounds like the truth. That is a sad commentary on life, and it sounds like hotel personnel should pack pepper spray.
Topic: beating lavender blooms
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 3:00:01 PM
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
Dalton, flirting with me. Something I have to get used to—my heart, beating lavender blooms, spilling out into my bloodstream. His flirting calms me, makes me feel safe.

Lavender can't grow in my country so I'm having trouble getting this metaphor. If the lady's heart is "beating lavender blooms," how exactly is it beating? And what spills out into her bloodstream, the smell or the lavender itself?

My take on this is: she is aroused, and comforted by his flirting, and it makes he fell serene. And "beating lavender blooms" is a literary device, where she is trying to relate what her heart feels. Which is love, her heart feels love for him, and it is her emotional heart, not her physical one.
Topic: Metrics
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 2:49:03 PM
teachersalah wrote:
I have just read the following in New York times.
They said they feared the focus on metrics and closing cases would make it harder to sort through complicated cases...
It's an article about immigration strict policies in studying the cases.
What does Mean metrics and closing cases here.

Metrics means to measure or count, and closing cases, means to have an end to a case. The entry means, that if the emphasis is on a high number of people being processed, then the adjudication of those people, is suspect, and fairness is too. Because complicated cases take a long time to sort out, and good people could be deported.

The fear is that people will be railroaded, and sent packing without a fair hearing.
Topic: Pins
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 2:36:07 PM
The pins attach to clothing by a clasp on the back; which is called a pin, or a stick pin.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.