User Name: Joseph San George
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3
[0.00% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: So the days pass, and I ask myself sometimes whether one is not hypnotized, as a child by a silver globe, by life, and...
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:39:11 PM
If you allow your mind to drift slighrtly, unfettered for a brief moment, the meaning and truth of her remark instantly locks into place. Look at all that's happened and where did it come from? A time warp that reveals the paucity of our perception and artificialness of our mind's construction.
Topic: There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe...
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 12:55:38 PM
A similar line from Franz Kafka comes to mind. It's been a long time but, paraphrased, goes something like this, " the entire world is nothing but one big practial joke played at one's own expense." He lived shortly after Melville however, the truth of remark vibrates to this day.
Topic: kibitzing
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 8:27:29 PM
It's rarely used although it should be recognized by most literate people. It means, of course, to present/add advice or suggestions to someone else currently engaged in a problem of some sort. The problem need not be overly vexing, just require a moment's hesitation that allows for the kitbitzer to do some kibitzing. It's usually associated with a negative context provided either by the person pondering the problem as an interruption to his concentration or, for example, if that person is engaged in a game or contest, his opponents will show annoyance at advice being offered that may contribute to the loss of the game.

In my experience, my first exposure to the word came during a a pool game, perhaps more universally known as billiards. There, as the player about to execute a shot looked at the pool table for the best shot, a "poolside" observer offered up a comment such as "try the five ball." This is kibitzing. Offering up gratuitous advice.

Again, not often heard as the inviting circumstance is not often presented. Yet, it is a very distinctive word ( Jewish in origin I believe) that would cause literate or knowledgeable individuals familiarly.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.