User Name: Emel Rapchan
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 456
[0.05% of all post / 1.50 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Being poor is a mere trifle. It is being known to be poor that is the sting.
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:42:57 PM
Being poor is a mere trifle. It is being known to be poor that is the sting.
-Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)

- I totally get the idea behind this excerpt from Jerome work, but I have been dealing with another point of view.
- There is no poverty in wealth that a strong spirit can't deal with and win. There's only poverty in spirit.
Topic: have (some/any) qualms about (something or someone)
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:31:35 PM
have (some/any) qualms about (something or someone)

qualm
- An uneasy feeling about something, someone or a course of action.
- A sudden disturbing feeling towards a situation or person without reasonable explanation.

Usage
- Once we started the trip, my mind had some qualms about the safety of our destination.
- During the fusion process, many executives still had some qualms about the outcome of all that, especially regarded to their position in the newly established corporation.

Other related idioms:
- Cause qualms - This entire scenario still causes qualms on me.
Topic: Tracking the threat of asteroids and comets
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:19:26 PM
Tracking the threat of asteroids and comets

- While major asteroid strikes are rare in terms of Earth's 4.5-billion-year geological history, even another Tunguska-sized impact would have a devastating effect on a populated area. In the 1990s, Stauffer was a member of the national Meteorite and Impacts Advisory Committee which called on the Canadian Space Agency and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in the United States to identify near-Earth objects (NEOs) and track potential threats to the planet.

Read more at:
https://phys.org/news/2018-05-tracking-threat-asteroids-comets.html
Topic: shortsighted
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:28:58 PM
shortsighted
- lacking the ability to see perfectly - unforesightful, myopic, short, nearsighted
- not given careful consideration - ill-considered, ill-judged, improvident, imprudent

- Despite the peaceful and normal outcome, the situation became worse due to many shortsighted attitudes on both sides.
- We managed to drove safely through the intense fog from yesterday although our shortsighted condition.
Topic: I am tempted to think that to be despised by her sex is a very great compliment to a woman.
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:38:44 PM
Not at all
Topic: no pressure
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:28:01 PM
no pressure
- Normally used in a context where some statement is being done in a way carries a great deal of real pressure while the speaker tries to soften it by using cheap phrases.
- It can be seen in some informal conversations where the interlocutors are ironically dealing with matters that are tough in reality but it is presented by others as such ease thing.
Topic: buttonhole
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:18:12 PM
buttonhole
- button hole - a hole where buttons are pushed usually in garments.
- lobby, catch, grab, accost, take aside

- They passed in a hurry through the crowd, and I nearly could buttonhole him to ask about the new show and tour.
- It cost most of my best favors and a small fortune in oiling money to buttonhole the suspect for a talk after the meeting, turn it into the best moment to arrest him.
Topic: There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that ... imitation is suicide.
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:25:38 PM
There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that ... imitation is suicide.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

- It must be in some context.
- Imitation is the learning process that works at least amount of energy the most.
- We use it in our first steps as little kids, but it extends throughout our life.
- Every difficult work is preceded by a time when we develop our abilities firstly by emulating the results of others and by copying others behave or attitude, finally, we put out our own process achieving the results that we were seeking.
Topic: A giant 'singing' cloud in space will help us to understand how star systems form
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:55:43 PM
- A giant cloud singing says that stars are formed in such a way that depends on some strings are placed!
- Ok. That is why I don't need drugs.... I have physics!
Topic: no one in his/her/their right mind would (do something)
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:59:44 PM
no one in (his/her/their) right mind would (do something)

- This is a dangerous process that no one in their right mind would even go undertaking such thing.
- As the news agencies have heavily noticed this morning, many protests have erupted all over the country while the president has engaged in the electoral process, allegedly in an effort of taking control of the country. Nobody in their right mind would like to experience such state of despair and hopelessness although many have been drowned in the recent turmoil of this entire process by force.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.