Last 10 Posts
Topic: What do you call this beverage?
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:24:16 AM
It looks almost like a punch.
Topic: Push it down.
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 10:51:47 PM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
No, Tilt it over doesn't work, either.

Most likely, you would suggest to the boy to push over the first domino.

Then you grab the bridge of your nose and groan when he pushes it over away from all the other dominoes.
Topic: Some sound
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 9:48:21 PM
Fyfardens wrote:
Joe Kim wrote:
When you hit paper with your thumb and index,

Native speakers of English do not often do this. In what contexts would you feel the urge to do it?

What do you mean? It doesn't have anything to do with speaking English.
You're reading a newspaper and you find just the right bit of information that makes a point you are trying to prove. You say, "Aha!" You ping/bip/snap/pop the paper with your thumb and fingers. I would say pop for the sound or flick at for the action. I would also use my middle finger as well.
Topic: becoming
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 1:19:34 PM
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
I did a little research. And you know what? The only examples that I find with becoming meaning attractive are modern like this:

For Grace and Hope, by Charlotte Drobnicki, 2015

Quote:
She looked becoming in an emerald velvet gown that complimented her dark braided hair.

[...]
And didn't care to delve in the subject.

Why would you, when you could so easily have delved into "complimented"?

"Why, how lovely you look, hair," said the the gown.
Topic: Embarrassing Mispronunciations
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:55:37 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
My embarrassing moment was reading aloud an essay on philosophy.

I assumed Euripides, Socrates, Parmenedes and Descartes were all Greeks, with 'Descartes' being pronounced 'Deskartees'.

Seemed pretty logical at the time.

We have homophones, saxophones, and telephones. How would you pronounce "Persephone"?
Topic: Is this woman glad or not?
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:30:38 PM
It's from Lady Chatterly's Lover. Sir Clifford Chatterley is a paraplegic.
Topic: Is this woman glad or not?
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 5:59:48 PM
I think "love-business" is a code word for "sex", specifically between complementary genders.
Clifford is putting forward the suggestion that, if babies were able to be brought to term in a laboratory, men and women would no longer want sex with each other.
Olive disagrees, saying that, on the contrary, if that were the case men and women would have sex with each other even more than they do now.
Topic: his saint’s day
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:46:20 PM
Confirmation names are not as common as they were for a while, as some dioceses have encouraged returning to the older tradition of not picking a new name at confirmation.

Originally the sacrament was conferred at the same time as Baptism. Starting in the 12th century, the Western Church began delaying the age of confirmation until it became a sort of Christian bar and bat mitzvah. From this rose the custom of adopting an additional name at Confirmation in order to take the saint as a special heavenly patron or to honor a saint to whom one had a special devotion.

Eastern Catholics continue to receive Confirmation, also known as Chrismation, directly following Baptism.

"Since Confirmation stands in relationship to Baptism, any discussion of a Confirmation name must be placed in that context. The current Rite of Confirmation recommends that the sponsor for Confirmation be the baptismal godparent. It presumes that the candidate for Confirmation will be addressed by his or her baptismal name. Nowhere does the rite mention the custom of choosing a separate Confirmation name; neither does the Code of Canon Law. Only in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults is there mention of a rite whereby a catechumen may receive a baptismal name.
While the affirmation of one’s baptismal name is thus preferred, one could choose another saint’s name or a mystery of the Lord to be pronounced by the bishop in addition to not in place of ones baptismal name (e.g., John Sebastian Smith or Jane of the Incarnation Smith). There is no restriction as to the sex (male or female) of the saint, just as in many cultures baptismal names may be combined (e.g., Peter Mary or Ann Daniel).
"
- Office for Evangelization, Diocese of Richmond

"Candidates may use their baptismal name or another Christian name when receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation.
A Christian name would be the name of a saint or blessed.
Derivatives of names (Kelly for Catherine; Jenna for Genevieve) or Old Testament names are also appropriate.
Candidates may use their first or second names if they are Christian names, or they may select a new Christian name.
The candidate should know the relationship of the name to the religious Christian tradition.
Exceptions can be made if a particular non-Christian or family name has significant meaning for a candidate that can be articulated to the bishop.
Most importantly, candidates should be encouraged to learn about their patron as part of their preparation for the sacrament and should particularly focus on the virtues of their patron they wish to emulate."

- Archdiocese of Milwaukee

mactoria wrote:
Wilmar is right that Catholics take a saints name as a second middle name when they go through the sacrament of confirmation at about age 13, but at least in my experience most people never use it unless their first and middle names are hideous.

A person may still use the initials, like George Raymond Richard Martin!
Topic: she drew up a hassock
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:18:00 PM
thar wrote:
A church, seems reasonable. Hassocks maybe. Cassocks, unlikely, Cossacks.....well, it was controversial...

A hassock in church would be for kneeling on rather than sitting.

Hassocks originally referred to clumps of turf.

You can see the progression up to a footstool.

Since Eastern Christians don't kneel during church (although they may drop to their knees in prostration), I think we can safely leave out the Cossacks, and forgive Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 for not making sense of it.
Topic: eat one’s enemies
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:59:46 PM
Local eating and drinking establishment:

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.