User Name: Eoin Riedy
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 165
[0.02% of all post / 0.27 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Life may be a vale of tears, all right, but there are some folks who enjoy weeping.
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:51:07 AM
KSPavan wrote:
Quotation of the Day

Life may be a vale of tears, all right, but there are some folks who enjoy weeping.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

"When the reviews are bad I tell my staff that they can join me as I cry all the way to the bank."
- Liberace

Maria Theresa is said to have cried every time Austria took a part of Poland, causing Frederick of Prussia to remark cynically, "She wept, but she took nonetheless."
Topic: when elephants roost in trees
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 9:15:07 AM
A slightly cruder one:

When angels fly out of my arse.
Topic: usage of attenuate
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 9:04:54 AM
robjen wrote:
(ex) A lack of regular exercise and well-balanced diet can attentuate your immune system.

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I looked through the thesaurus, and the words I would commonly use for 'immune system' would be:
Weaken, impair,
depress. (This one sounds (to me) a little more technical - something a doctor or immunologist might say.)

Another term I frequently hear in that context is "compromise".
Topic: Prison rape slang
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:03:51 PM
Possibly related to the concept of awareness:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

First I'm going to sexually assault you rectally with my penis (to make your anus "aware" of its potential and my control) and then achieve orgasm by masturbating.
Topic: when elephants roost in trees
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:25:33 AM
Why do elephants paint their toenails red?
So they can hide in cherry trees. Have you ever seen an elephant in a cherry tree?
Works, doesn't it?!

Topic: A new book on Crazy English Spelling Published (it's FREE!!!)
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 4:29:27 PM
You must have done something to piss off Mark Zuckerberg.

"Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."
Topic: shopping mall
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 7:19:55 PM
"Mall" is rarely used in the broader sense of "a sheltered walk or promenade". There are exceptions, the National Mall in Washington, D.C. for instance.

"Center", on the other hand, can refer to many different kinds of places, so it's not a very good shorthand for "shopping center". The conference center, the dance center, the medical center, the civic center, Lincoln Center, Rockefeller Center, the convention center, the World Trade Center, the student center - it would be too confusing to just say "center".
Topic: The platinum set number
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 4:00:49 PM
The quote comes from a young adult SF/Fantasy novel about an Irish crime syndicate family headed by a twelve-year-old prodigy who kidnaps a fairy. The scene takes place on Christmas at the "happily-ever-after" ending of the book.

'And look at this place. Drab as a mausoleum. Butler?'

The manservant hurriedly pocketed his Sig Sauer.

'Yes, ma'am?'

'Get on the phone to Brown Thomas. The platinum set number. Reopen my account. Tell Helene I want a Yuletide makeover. The works.'

'Yes, ma'am. The works.'

'Oh, and wake up Juliet. I want my things moved into the main bedroom. That attic is far too dusty.'

To clarify the text:
The butler's name is Butler. (This allow the main character to say things like, "Butler did it.")
A Sig Sauer is a gun.
Brown Thomas is an Irish department store chain. (Harrods is to London what Brown Thomas is to Dublin.) They have two loyalty card account levels, Black and Platinum. To qualify for a Platinum card you must spend over €5,000 in a year.

The text seems to suggest that there is a special telephone number for Platinum Card members, using the term "platinum set" to indicate a particular social grouping, as in the "horsey set" or the "opera set". I doubt there is special telephone number, but this is a novel.

It isn't entirely clear what is being "made over", but I'm inclined to think it is a beauty makeover, rather than the household decoration. The character has been living in an attic room taking large amounts of sleeping pills for the entire book.

Yes, ma'am. Right away, ma'am.'

Angeline Fowl linked her son's arm.

'Now, Arty, I want to know everything. First of all, what happened here?'

'Remodelling,' said Artemis. 'The old doorway was riddled with damp.'
Topic: Happy Easter!
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:06:27 AM
If any man be devout and love God, let him enjoy this fair and radiant triumphal feast. If any man be a wise servant, let him rejoicing enter into the joy of his Lord. If any have labored long in fasting, let him now receive his recompense. If any have wrought from the first hour, let him today receive his just reward. If any have come at the third hour, let him with thankfulness keep the feast. If any have arrived at the sixth hour, let him have no misgivings; because he shall in nowise be deprived thereof. If any have delayed until the ninth hour, let him draw near, fearing nothing. If any have tarried even until the eleventh hour, let him, also, be not alarmed at his tardiness; for the Lord, who is jealous of his honor, will accept the last even as the first; he gives rest unto him who comes at the eleventh hour, even as unto him who has wrought from the first hour.

And he shows mercy upon the last, and cares for the first; and to the one he gives, and upon the other he bestows gifts. And he both accepts the deeds, and welcomes the intention, and honors the acts and praises the offering. Wherefore, enter you all into the joy of your Lord; and receive your reward, both the first, and likewise the second. You rich and poor together, hold high festival. You sober and you heedless, honor the day. Rejoice today, both you who have fasted and you who have disregarded the fast. The table is full-laden; feast ye all sumptuously. The calf is fatted; let no one go hungry away.

Enjoy ye all the feast of faith: Receive ye all the riches of loving-kindness. let no one bewail his poverty, for the universal kingdom has been revealed. Let no one weep for his iniquities, for pardon has shown forth from the grave. Let no one fear death, for the Savior’s death has set us free. He that was held prisoner of it has annihilated it. By descending into Hell, He made Hell captive. He embittered it when it tasted of His flesh. And Isaiah, foretelling this, did cry: Hell, said he, was embittered, when it encountered Thee in the lower regions. It was embittered, for it was abolished. It was embittered, for it was mocked. It was embittered, for it was slain. It was embittered, for it was overthrown. It was embittered, for it was fettered in chains. It took a body, and met God face to face. It took earth, and encountered Heaven. It took that which was seen, and fell upon the unseen.

O Death, where is your sting? O Hell, where is your victory? Christ is risen, and you are overthrown. Christ is risen, and the demons are fallen. Christ is risen, and the angels rejoice. Christ is risen, and life reigns. Christ is risen, and not one dead remains in the grave. For Christ, being risen from the dead, is become the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. To Him be glory and dominion unto ages of ages. Amen.

- John Chrysostom

Topic: baseline out of bounds
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:32:44 PM
Definitely about basketball; Deandre Ayton is a University of Arizona center and power forward position player who plans to turn professional this year.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.