Statistics
Number of Posts: 182
[0.02% of all post / 0.23 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: singer, singing (pronunciation)
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:39:00 AM
BobShilling wrote:
Eoin Riedy wrote:
I can say fin-ger and I can say sin-ger.

No. It's /fɪŋ-gə(r/) and /sɪŋ-ə(r)/. You cannot split one sound, /ŋ/, into two parts.

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I see.
We are hitting the difficulty of describing sounds in written words.
We probably don't really disagree.
Quote:
Not in standard BrE - check a few dictionaries. All three words have a medial /ŋ/.
Oh, you mean "In the English which very few English people speak but dictionaries say is 'normal English'."

Haha!

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It would be great to set up 'sound images' in this forum, to make it simpler for us to record what we really mean (even after a lot of discussion, describing "how I say the word" in words and IPA symbols isn't very satisfying).

Absolutely. Then I could let Bob hear how it is not "simply impossible" to pronouce finger as fin + ger. Consider someone saying, "I broke my 1957 Chevy's tail fin. Grrr." It doesn't use the word "finger", but it's not impossible to pronouce n + g as two separate sounds.

I pity the poor student trying to understand the differences between finger, singer, and hinger. They should all rhyme, shouldn't they?
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 2:03:29 AM
BobShilling wrote:
In writing, one may split syllables in a word such as finger as fin-ger. We simply cannot do this in pronunciation.

Well, of course you can. I can say fin-ger and I can say sin-ger. I probably wouldn't unless I were a telephone operator, announcer, or talking to someone with a hearing loss. "No, Emily, I said that Queen Elizabeth is sin-ging, not sin-king."
Topic: by/to/with the naked eye
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 12:06:47 PM
The second sentence would have to be reworded "Microbes are not visible to the naked eye".
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 9:16:24 AM
"Finger" and "linger" are not divided into syllables the same as "singer".
Fin-ger
Lin-ger
Sing-er
Topic: looking for the right verb
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2018 10:32:02 AM
decimate

1. kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of.
"the project would decimate the fragile wetland wilderness"
2. (historical) kill one in every ten of (a group of soldiers or others) as a punishment for the whole group.
Topic: I'd like to know more and more christmas vocabulary
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2018 10:45:34 AM
I can't find the link to the site you refer to, so I don't know where to begin to fill in.

Religious vocabulary would include:

Nativity
Star
Sun of Righteousness
Manger
Crib
Creche
Angels
Cherubim
Seraphim
Shepherds
Wise Men
Magi
Prince of Peace
Ox and ass
Dayspring from on high
Gold, frankincense, and myrrh
Word became flesh
Eternal Word
David's Seed
Root of Jesse
Only-begotten Son
Swaddling clothes
Virgin
Maiden
Womb
Glory to God in the highest
People of good will

Topic: sitting US President
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 11:34:20 PM
RuthP wrote:
There are words in almost every Indoeuropean language, that have a root in sit, that refer to meetings of people governing. They govern everything from modern states to tribes to clans. So "sitting president" is one who is in office, i.e. "sitting" as a part of government.

Moreover, before you can "sit" as an official, you often have to "stand" for the position.
Topic: Where is that good-for-nothing son of yours?
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:27:18 AM
Your question made me think of a World War I song from a hundred years ago about a girl who grew being called "good-for-nothing":

"The Little Good For Nothing's Good For Something After All"
Topic: Swing shut?
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 6:28:11 PM
Palinkasocsi wrote:
Dear Friends,

Could anyone please check this for vocabulary:

Kate and Patrik arrive at the door at the same time. Patrik is carrying a box. They are heading in the same direction. Eszter reaches the door a bit earlier. She passes through it, and instead of holding it until Patrik gets there, she swing shuts it in Patrik’s face. As a reaction Patrik says:

Patrik: Thanks.

1. Is 'pass through the door' okay here? OR Is 'walk through' better? 'Pass through' may imply the presence of a ghost.
2. What about 'swing shut'? OR 'lets the door shut in his face'?

Thank you!

Pal

It makes me think of a sequence in a comedy album, The First Family, that parodies Jaqueline Kenndey's tour of the White House.

"If your cameras will just move though these oak panel doors over here on our left we will begin..."

[loud crashing noises drown out the monologue]

"...which was named after our thirty-fifth president. I can't help but wish your cameramen had opened the doors before they moved their heavy cameras through them."

Vaughn Meader, The First Family, 1962
Topic: to broil
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 5:45:43 PM
Hope123 wrote:
Here in the Commonwealth :) broil means using direct radiant heat.

But we usually reserve that term for using the top element of an oven to broil a steak.

My electric oven has a knob with two settings: Bake, which turns on the bottom heating element, and Broil, which turns on the top heating element.
My previous gas stoves had one heating element and two compartments - the oven, an enclosure above the flame; and a broiler, a drawer with a drip pan directly below and open to the flame.

Lots of foods can be broiled - steak, fish, and garlic toast come to mind.

The key element is that broiled food is placed directly below the open heating source. Broiling is upside-down barbecuing.

leonAzul wrote:

The discussion of what constitutes real BBQ could easily result in a fractious polemic!

So true.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.