Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 139
[0.02% of all post / 0.31 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: she drew up a hassock
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:18:00 PM
thar wrote:
A church, seems reasonable. Hassocks maybe. Cassocks, unlikely, Cossacks.....well, it was controversial...

A hassock in church would be for kneeling on rather than sitting.

Hassocks originally referred to clumps of turf.

You can see the progression up to a footstool.

Since Eastern Christians don't kneel during church (although they may drop to their knees in prostration), I think we can safely leave out the Cossacks, and forgive Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 for not making sense of it.
Topic: eat one’s enemies
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:59:46 PM
Local eating and drinking establishment:

Topic: she’s got quite a chassis
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 9:30:13 PM
"There’s none so classy as this fair lassie
Oh, oh, Holy Moses what a chassis!
We went riding, she didn’t balk
Back from Yonkers; I’m the one who had to walk"

- "If You Knew Susie" (lyrics by B. G. De Sylva, music by Joseph Meyer), interpolated into the score of Big Boy, 1925

Written for Al Jolson, it became a signature tune for Eddie Cantor. Performed here in English and French by Ella Shields:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2l3SCFSRDI
Topic: What the hell, Chicago?
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 8:31:00 PM
There are places named Hell - Hell, Michigan and Hell, Norway, for instance - that would be treated as proper nouns.

Topic: onomatopoeia #1
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:44:58 AM
I just fried some bacon. It hissed at me.
Topic: all thine
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2017 2:09:26 PM
Right. The hymnody referred to here is Christian hymnody. Thine is an archaic form of the pronoun "yours". Wells assumes the reader will understand the object of the pronoun to be God. "Father, to Thee a joyful song we raise. With all Thine own; And in Thy presence sound a note of praise." He is saying that to the man-turned beasts he is God.
Topic: put up wages
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 11:39:04 PM
Romany wrote:
So we say, normally, "Hurrah! I got a rise!" (My wages have been raised) when our pay goes up.

In the U.S. we would say "Hooray! I got a raise!". "Hurrah! I got a rise," coming from a man, at least, would sound inappropriate.
Topic: command on written English
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:45:41 PM
Romany wrote:
I see one of Naomi's "scholastic" friends has joined in on another thread. Unfortunately the naughty girl plagiarised her colleague's words!!

She'd better watch out, Naomi has a gun! Under the name of Lilly Griffin, Naomi has posted this gem of writing on the Women's Gun Zone Forum (I eliminated the embedded link in "dissertation writing"):

"To celebrate Mothers day. At Heart Kids we are always in awe of heart parents, and with Mother’s Day only a week away we wanted to give something special to Mother and it will be a surprise for your mother and she will get happy to see that, i know many folks are quite busy in their life schedule like dissertation writing help for their academic writing help. So they do not have much time for other activities. But you can use online ways to send her a surprise."

Look what we got you for Mothers Day, Mom! A dissertation to go with your Glock 42! Surprised, huh?

Luker4 wrote:
looks aren't everything huh ? Dancing Whistle

Especially when you look exactly like American model and actress Rachel Cook!

(Yes, I did a small bit of Google image searching.)
Anxious
Topic: command on written English
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:17:50 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hello Naomi.
Welcome to the forum.

However:
1. you are violating the rules of the forum by advertising your services.

2. Due to the mistakes you have made in your first sentence, I would never hire you to help with my writing.

If you want to continue to discuss English, or have questions, feel free to continue posting.

I don't understand what you mean by "you cannot use phrases in academic writing".
"Academic writing" is a phrase, "professional writer" is a phrase, "believe me" is an idiomatic phrase.
You cannot write a sentence without phrases.

Thank you Drag0nspeaker. I'm laughing out loud.
Topic: Hand with un-trimmed nails
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 6:53:39 PM
Romany wrote:

And also our toilet habits are considered primitive. The best way I have heard it explained to a Westerner is from an Islamic Imam: - "Dip your fingers in a can of condensed milk" he said to a red-faced, 19 year old American who was defending his ways. "Then wipe your fingers on tissue." The young man continued to glare. "Now, smell your fingers!" The young man looked baffled but did so. "What do you smell?" the Iman asked.
"Well, condensed milk, of course!"
"Of course." and the Iman sat back with a smile.And finally, after a little thought, the penny dropped for the young man.

I don't think the Imam understood how to use toilet paper. It's not for wiping your hands after they've come in contact with poop, it's for wiping your rear end so your hands don't come in contact with poop in the first place. If your poop is the consistency of condensed milk you need to see a doctor.
It's more like dropping toothpaste on the table and then handing someone some tissue to wipe it up. Would your hand smell like toothpaste?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.