Statistics
Number of Posts: 139
[0.01% of all post / 0.15 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: exhale
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 6:02:21 AM
thar wrote:
Ex - hale

So being alive means hating? That is a depressing worldview!

Yet corroborated by today's news:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?objectid=12213039

Quote:
Christchurch mosque massacre: 49 confirmed dead in shootings

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
Topic: toreador
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:33:18 AM

This is corrida, sir:

Topic: vermiculate
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:41:46 AM
8BooksOfSengathe wrote:
….

The new gardener aimed to build a greenhouse for
their flowering plants and produce in order to
reduce damage due to storms and vermiculate.

This doesn't look correct to me. Vermiculate is an adjective. There is a noun, vermiculite, but there wouldn't be any damage from vermiculite to the garden. It is actually used in gardening.

Topic: The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:59:06 AM
Romany wrote:
Lazarius - where the heck does "Harry Potter" come into this discussion?

The only contemporary book everybody reads today. Supposedly written in modern English. :)

Romany wrote:
And how does the fact that you are currently reading about bumble-bess help the OP?

Exactly the way your comment helps them. The Literature section is here for general discussion.

Topic: The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:55:12 AM
Romany wrote:
But I would advise you that, for now, you stick to modern English.

Harry Potter? No, thank you. Right now reading "On the Origin of Species". Love it.

Quote:
I have, also, reason to believe that humble-bees are indispensable to the fertilisation of the heartsease (Viola tricolor), for other bees do not visit this flower. From experiments which I have tried, I have found that the visits of bees, if not indispensable, are at least highly beneficial to the fertilisation of our clovers; but humble-bees alone visit the common red clover (Trifolium pratense), as other bees cannot reach the nectar. Hence I have very little doubt, that if the whole genus of humble-bees became extinct or very rare in England, the heartsease and red clover would become very rare, or wholly disappear. The number of humble-bees in any district depends in a great degree on the number of field-mice, which destroy their combs and nests; and Mr. H. Newman, who has long attended to the habits of humble-bees, believes that "more than two thirds of them are thus destroyed all over England." Now the number of mice is largely dependent, as every one knows, on the number of cats; and Mr. Newman says, "Near villages and small towns I have found the nests of humble-bees more numerous than elsewhere, which I attribute to the number of cats that destroy the mice." Hence it is quite credible that the presence of a feline animal in large numbers in a district might determine, through the intervention first of mice and then of bees, the frequency of certain flowers in that district!

Topic: Particulars of 2nd conditional
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 1:38:05 PM
ozok wrote:
Whether I am in Nairobi, Rio, Moscow etc. I have always been advised/instructed (by my employer) to leave my passport in a hotel safe and just carry a photocopy of it on my body. This has always sounded a good tip to me to prevent any inconvenience due to loss or theft etc.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/sensitive

Quote:
7. Of or relating to secret or classified information: sensitive defense data; holds a sensitive position in the State Department.

Your passport is not a sensitive document.

--

Topic: pinioned him in both his arms
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 10:21:11 AM
FounDit wrote:
Scrooge had his arms pinioned by the ghost. The image is that the ghost forced the arms of Scrooge down to his sides so he couldn't move them, and held him in this position.

Thank you very much.

--

Topic: pinioned him in both his arms
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 8:42:19 AM
Just to make sure I understand it correctly...

https://books.google.com/books?id=f8ANAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&q=%22pinioned%20him%20in%20both%20his%20arms%22

Quote:
"No more!" cried Scrooge. "No more. I don't wish to see it. Show me no more!"
But the relentless Ghost pinioned him in both his arms, and forced him to observe what happened next.

Whose arms are those - Scrooge's or the Ghost's?

--

Topic: Particulars of 2nd conditional
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 8:07:37 AM
ozok wrote:
It occurred to me that were I in possession of a very sensitive document I'd take a copy of it with me wherever I went.

In this neck of the woods it is usually information that is sensitive not the material form the information is presented in. Another copy - another possibility of losing it.

--

Topic: To produce a mighty book, you must choose a mighty theme. No great and enduring volume can ever be written on the flea,...
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 12:09:52 AM
Daemon wrote:
No great and enduring volume can ever be written on the flea, though many there be who have tried it.

As if it would be better if everybody wrote on the whale. :)

--

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.