Home Page http://bersao.livejournal.com
Statistics
Number of Posts: 134
[0.01% of all post / 0.16 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Particulars of 2nd conditional
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 1:38:05 PM
ozok wrote:
Whether I am in Nairobi, Rio, Moscow etc. I have always been advised/instructed (by my employer) to leave my passport in a hotel safe and just carry a photocopy of it on my body. This has always sounded a good tip to me to prevent any inconvenience due to loss or theft etc.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/sensitive

Quote:
7. Of or relating to secret or classified information: sensitive defense data; holds a sensitive position in the State Department.

Your passport is not a sensitive document.

--

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
Topic: pinioned him in both his arms
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 10:21:11 AM
FounDit wrote:
Scrooge had his arms pinioned by the ghost. The image is that the ghost forced the arms of Scrooge down to his sides so he couldn't move them, and held him in this position.

Thank you very much.

--

Topic: pinioned him in both his arms
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 8:42:19 AM
Just to make sure I understand it correctly...

https://books.google.com/books?id=f8ANAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&q=%22pinioned%20him%20in%20both%20his%20arms%22

Quote:
"No more!" cried Scrooge. "No more. I don't wish to see it. Show me no more!"
But the relentless Ghost pinioned him in both his arms, and forced him to observe what happened next.

Whose arms are those - Scrooge's or the Ghost's?

--

Topic: Particulars of 2nd conditional
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 8:07:37 AM
ozok wrote:
It occurred to me that were I in possession of a very sensitive document I'd take a copy of it with me wherever I went.

In this neck of the woods it is usually information that is sensitive not the material form the information is presented in. Another copy - another possibility of losing it.

--

Topic: To produce a mighty book, you must choose a mighty theme. No great and enduring volume can ever be written on the flea,...
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 12:09:52 AM
Daemon wrote:
No great and enduring volume can ever be written on the flea, though many there be who have tried it.

As if it would be better if everybody wrote on the whale. :)

--

Topic: stomach hollowed out
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 11:28:24 PM
Thanks to you both.

--

Topic: stomach hollowed out
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 11:53:06 AM
I want to see this.

https://books.google.com/books?id=AwHgAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA285&dq=%22stomach+hollowed+out%22

Quote:
Oh, God. My stomach hollowed out, and I couldn't hold back the sobs anymore.

--

Topic: (a) leeway
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 4:42:51 AM
maltliquor87 wrote:
Quote:
From the start, there was a flamboyant and parodistic element to her sexuality, a hard glamour she had learned from Hollywood cinema and from its devotees, gay men and drag queens.

There are plenty of examples in which an uncountable noun is paired with the indefinite article. On the other hand, it seems some uncountable nouns are indeed less amenable, if at all, to this type of construction

I have learned that there are two distinct cases of the indefinite article used with uncountable nouns:

1. This is beyond my comprehension but is described in the book:

Probably, the above example with glamour falls under this bracket.

2. This is not mentioned in the book but it's what NKM is talking about.

As I understand it, if you can read it as a sort of alacrity, courage, leeway, then the indefinite article is Ok. Now I'm trying to apply this to your original example:

Quote:
the defense of parents who have been charged with neglect for giving their children a sort of leeway that would have been perfectly normal a generation prior.

and it sucks. You do not charge or convict people for giving a sort of something.

--

Topic: scurvy
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 10:51:31 AM
IBMJunkman wrote:
The recent definition for faithless shown in the email stumped me. I had never used the word in the context mentioned. The email should have said without faith.

I'm afraid there's something you do not understand. Here are 5 first examples from that page and in all of them it's unfaithful:

Quote:
Thank God, the first shock of things has abated, now that you have agreed not to look upon me as faithless and an egotist simply because I have deceived you.

How often during those eight years of happy life with his wife Alexey Alexandrovitch had looked at other men's faithless wives and other deceived husbands and asked himself: "How can people descend to that?

Victor," she murmured, "you would spoil the most faithless woman on earth for all her lovers.

Damon, the morning of the eighth day after their desertion by the faithless Jacinto.

It may be," he replied, "because I will not encounter the dishonour that besmirches the husband of a faithless woman.

Topic: scurvy
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 5:59:09 AM
xrayangiodoc wrote:
Seems to me that no definition of, "Scurvy" is complete without the primary definition being the condition or disease caused by Vitamin C deficiency!

Just follow the link. :)

--

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.