Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 781
[0.08% of all post / 0.55 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Miracles / magic
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 6:02:38 AM
Tara2 wrote:
but magics just are tricks, not real, right?

Witchcraft is magic. If you make your neighbour's cow slink its calf, is it for a trick that they will hang you?

UPDATE
Magic is uncountable.

-
Topic: position of adverbial phrase
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 7:31:03 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
However, why the "only" comes in the middle, I don't know.

Nobody knows. But we have the Farlex book:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Focusing-Adverbs.htm

Quote:
Placement of focusing adverbs around verbs

-
Topic: Enlightenment must consider itself
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 2:21:35 PM
Romany wrote:
But have you ever thought about buying yourself a Dictionary of Philosophical Terms?

No, thank you. I am not studying philosophy. Actually neither am I studying English. My hobby is accruing a vocabulary. Because English has so many words this can divert me till the end of my days.

Having this goal in mind I try to diversify my reading. The book - Bread and Circuses, by Patrick Brantlinger - I am reading not because I am interested in philosophy or the problems of mass media but because I expect to come across new words that I will probably not find in a different kind of books. And I have harvested quite some:

http://files.rsdn.org/45648/bread-and-circuses,.htm

As to buying a dictionary, in twenty years I have only bought one and this I do not consider a dictionary but a list of words every ESL speaker has to know:

-

Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 11:23:20 AM
thar wrote:
'to consider' meaning to question, debate.

I have never been able to grasp philosophical ideas. :)

Thank you.

-
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 8:44:34 AM
https://books.google.com/books?id=AzPXAAAAMAAJ&q=%22enlightenment+must+consider+itself%22

Quote:
The issue is not that of culture as a value, which is what the critics of civilization, Huxley, Jaspers, Ortega y Gasset and others have in mind. The point is rather that the Enlightenment must consider itself, if men are not to be wholly betrayed.

It looks like an idiom but I wasn't able to find it anywhere. How do I understand it here?

-
Topic: offer
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 5:54:07 AM
pjharvey wrote:
"He didn't feel like going, so I offered to go in his place"
"My neighbours offered to help me when I moved"

The dictionaries here on TFD consider this usage transitive, for example the AHD:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/offer

Quote:
v.tr.
3. To exhibit readiness or desire (to do something); volunteer: offered to carry the packages.

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition.

As intransitive are listed these:

Quote:
v.intr.
1. To present an offering in worship or devotion.
2. To make an offer or proposal, especially of marriage.
3. To present itself: "This plan was dropped, because of its risk, and because a better offered" (T.E. Lawrence).
4. Baseball To swing at a pitch. Used of a batte

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition.

-
Topic: riciculous
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2020 2:44:24 AM
Romany wrote:
you are telling me what I "should" do.

Or shouldn't. :)

I will confess that being an erstwhile programmer my use of the word is governed by this document:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2119

Romany wrote:
So. We try, rather, to frame surmise not as a statement/accusation, but as a question: "Do you mean you think alcohol is the cause of everything bad?" or "That sounds to me as if you think..." "Are you one of those people who think drink is the root of all evil?"

Thank you. I'll think it over.

-
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2020 9:02:10 AM
RayMidge wrote:
I presume these are typesetting errors committed in the original publication of these texts, not OCR errors. The OED has no entry for "riciculous."

Thank you very much!

-
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2020 9:01:35 AM
Romany wrote:
I would tend to think any instances were just print-setters blunders.

Thank you very much!

Romany wrote:
And print-setter were renowned for the amount of alcohol they used to drink on duty!

One shouldn't attribute everything bad to drinking - so gratuitously, so out of hand.

Quote:
Half a pint of wine will make ſome men drunk, when others ſhall drink a gallon, without being the leaſt fuddled.

1766, John Truſler

Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2020 6:48:27 AM
thar wrote:
The second one is so like the usage of ridiculous (stupid and ridiculous) that I would be inclined to call it an error.

Certainly, it is not an OCR error:

thar wrote:
olde style.

Actually I've come across it in an olde book and this is what I'm interested in most. Could it be a real word in the 18th century or I can safely assume it is an error in setting type?

-