Statistics
Number of Posts: 127
[0.01% of all post / 0.17 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: (a) leeway
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 4:42:51 AM
maltliquor87 wrote:
Quote:
From the start, there was a flamboyant and parodistic element to her sexuality, a hard glamour she had learned from Hollywood cinema and from its devotees, gay men and drag queens.

There are plenty of examples in which an uncountable noun is paired with the indefinite article. On the other hand, it seems some uncountable nouns are indeed less amenable, if at all, to this type of construction

I have learned that there are two distinct cases of the indefinite article used with uncountable nouns:

1. This is beyond my comprehension but is described in the book:

Probably, the above example with glamour falls under this bracket.

2. This is not mentioned in the book but it's what NKM is talking about.

As I understand it, if you can read it as a sort of alacrity, courage, leeway, then the indefinite article is Ok. Now I'm trying to apply this to your original example:

Quote:
the defense of parents who have been charged with neglect for giving their children a sort of leeway that would have been perfectly normal a generation prior.

and it sucks. You do not charge or convict people for giving a sort of something.

--

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
Topic: scurvy
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 10:51:31 AM
IBMJunkman wrote:
The recent definition for faithless shown in the email stumped me. I had never used the word in the context mentioned. The email should have said without faith.

I'm afraid there's something you do not understand. Here are 5 first examples from that page and in all of them it's unfaithful:

Quote:
Thank God, the first shock of things has abated, now that you have agreed not to look upon me as faithless and an egotist simply because I have deceived you.

How often during those eight years of happy life with his wife Alexey Alexandrovitch had looked at other men's faithless wives and other deceived husbands and asked himself: "How can people descend to that?

Victor," she murmured, "you would spoil the most faithless woman on earth for all her lovers.

Damon, the morning of the eighth day after their desertion by the faithless Jacinto.

It may be," he replied, "because I will not encounter the dishonour that besmirches the husband of a faithless woman.

Topic: scurvy
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 5:59:09 AM
xrayangiodoc wrote:
Seems to me that no definition of, "Scurvy" is complete without the primary definition being the condition or disease caused by Vitamin C deficiency!

Just follow the link. :)

--

Topic: Bailiwick
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 2:09:14 PM
Parpar1836 wrote:
With his background in business and economics, Charlie's purview is numbers.

With his background in business and economics, Charlie's purview is probably wider than just numbers. It is that numbers are within his purview.

--

Topic: Bailiwick
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 9:13:26 AM
D00M wrote:
What would be the closest synonym to "bailiwick" in the following?

Numbers are Charlie's bailiwick with his background in business and economics.

Don't know about the synonyms but Charlie probably works as the bailiff of the continuum.

--

Topic: Natural English
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 2:58:53 AM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
It's completely understandable -- if you read it slow enough. It is simply too much for one sentence.

Rouhani probably said it in a different language. And you do not have much freedom when translating the words of the President:

http://irannewsdaily.com/rouhani-condoles-demise-of-some-iranians-in-monday-road-accident/

As a learner of English this is the level I strive for.

--

Topic: Bank is open
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:00:32 AM
D00M wrote:
What does "bank is open" mean in the following at 2:02?

https://www.basketballtraininggrounds.com/basketball-terms.html

--

Topic: take
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 8:18:38 AM
Tara2 wrote:
Sorry Wilmar, Do you mean what sentence?

He means that when you gulp medicine you take it in while when you steal you take it out. And that's quite a difference, you know.

--

Topic: how had she seemed to you recently?
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 2:43:26 PM
A million thanks!

--

Topic: how had she seemed to you recently?
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 2:21:16 PM
thar wrote:
Past perfect - past relative to an event in the past.

I assume Ms Woodley has maybe committed suicide, or been murdered.
They are interested in how she was before that major event in the past.

But then I would expect "she had not been herself" as the answer.. :(

Anyway, thank you very much!

--

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.