The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: olddogg eleventy2
About
User Name: olddogg eleventy2
Forum Rank: Member
Interests: languages, music, arts, history and stuff like that there.
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 64
[0.01% of all post / 0.15 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog...
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:21:05 PM
A story goes... when I was seventeen I thought my parents were the stupidest people I had ever known...when I turned twenty-one, I was surprised by how much they had learned in four years. That's definitely paraphrased. I remember that story from Hal Holbrooks, the one-man performance he used to do. I saw it on PBS years ago.
Topic: Hell and half of Georgia
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 3:48:08 PM
I don't know really where this saying came from, but, I'll venture a guess and say, General William Tecumseh Sherman in reference to his devastating campaign through the state of Georgia during the American Civil War in 1864. Maybe not by him specifically but maybe by someone else in reference to that march to the sea. Just a guess!
Topic: Mount Holyoke Female Seminary Opens Its Doors (1837)
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:16:28 PM
I'm sure, that in light of all of the recent events and a growing paranoia of male/female contact or interaction, that all males should be excluded from female educational facilities and that all men have no honor and all they see is a sexual opportunity. It's got to be the only solution to the travesty of these offenses. All men are pigs! I remember hearing this when I was a kid. That was in the 60's. So let us keep on finding ways to divide ourselves and finger point til the next big media event takes place....Oh Shit where are the Kardashians?....AAAHHHH!!!! We can always be bluffed by some media hype of some meaningless dimension! Were Americans, and were always right....aren't we? HAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Topic: Mother-in-Law Day
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 12:58:16 PM
What a coincidence, I just got back from a pleasure trip...I took my mother-in-law to the airport! You're welcome!...lol
Topic: Vladimir Samoylovich Horowitz (1903)
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 2:53:20 PM
I will familiarize myself with his music as soon as I can, but I think I have a vague memory of seeing him perform on the Ed Sullivan Show when I was a child. Yes, Ed did have classic artists on too! I was drawn to this picture because it reminded me of someone.....then it hit me. Basil Rathbone, they could have been brothers, I swear.My apologies if I have offended any rigid admirers of the maestro! No disrespect was intended.
Topic: Lady Luck
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:16:30 AM
i found the definition of the last word of match up most appropriate...whoever came up with that was a person of much foresight.
Topic: Perhaps his might be one of the natures where a wise estimate of consequences is fused in the fires of that passionate belief...
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 11:56:30 AM
uh....gee, uh...well, on the other hand you have four fingers and a thumb! so there, some one interpret that.lol
Topic: jack it in
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:11:51 AM
those brits. not sure i'm saying this correctly, and can't remember who said it. english and americans; "two peoples separated by a common language."
Topic: He is the true enchanter, whose spell operates, not upon the senses, but upon the imagination and the heart.
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 2:03:01 PM
oh wonderful, thank you for your reply and enlightenment. that's very kind of you. i feel a little less uncultured now...lol. thank you again.
Topic: avaricious
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 1:57:58 PM
i have equated this word with a little extra meaning of some one so greedy as to want possession of a thing/ things. not so much for their own pleasure, but in denying that item from possession of some one else...especially from some one that is deserving. that to me is the ultimate in disgust, that is greed.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.