The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: olddogg eleventy2
About
User Name: olddogg eleventy2
Forum Rank: Member
Interests: languages, music, arts, history and stuff like that there.
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 60
[0.01% of all post / 0.16 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Vladimir Samoylovich Horowitz (1903)
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 2:53:20 PM
I will familiarize myself with his music as soon as I can, but I think I have a vague memory of seeing him perform on the Ed Sullivan Show when I was a child. Yes, Ed did have classic artists on too! I was drawn to this picture because it reminded me of someone.....then it hit me. Basil Rathbone, they could have been brothers, I swear.My apologies if I have offended any rigid admirers of the maestro! No disrespect was intended.
Topic: Lady Luck
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:16:30 AM
i found the definition of the last word of match up most appropriate...whoever came up with that was a person of much foresight.
Topic: Perhaps his might be one of the natures where a wise estimate of consequences is fused in the fires of that passionate belief...
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 11:56:30 AM
uh....gee, uh...well, on the other hand you have four fingers and a thumb! so there, some one interpret that.lol
Topic: jack it in
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:11:51 AM
those brits. not sure i'm saying this correctly, and can't remember who said it. english and americans; "two peoples separated by a common language."
Topic: He is the true enchanter, whose spell operates, not upon the senses, but upon the imagination and the heart.
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 2:03:01 PM
oh wonderful, thank you for your reply and enlightenment. that's very kind of you. i feel a little less uncultured now...lol. thank you again.
Topic: avaricious
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 1:57:58 PM
i have equated this word with a little extra meaning of some one so greedy as to want possession of a thing/ things. not so much for their own pleasure, but in denying that item from possession of some one else...especially from some one that is deserving. that to me is the ultimate in disgust, that is greed.
Topic: He is the true enchanter, whose spell operates, not upon the senses, but upon the imagination and the heart.
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 10:57:01 AM
who was/is he referring to? i wonder. perhaps i'm missing the obvious. i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed some times. there's one for idiom of the day! lol.
Topic: cost the earth
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 7:58:28 AM
this is the first time i've heard this one. is this more in use in europe or elsewhere? i've not heard this in the u.s. and i've been here awhile.
Topic: Joseph Warren (1741)
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:52:13 AM
this is one of the reasons i love the free dictionary by farlex, i had never heard of dr. warren. he was not even brought up in school when i was a kid. after reading this article i got a chill (really). he is one of the bravest men i have ever heard of. the word hero is used a lot these days, but i dare say this man is still a true hero in my book. bless his memory!
Topic: Mel Blanc (1908)
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 9:28:17 AM
one of my favorite people. a wonderful talent that brought a lot of laughter and joy to the world. a sense of humor even in death. god bless him.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.