User Name: Deoxyribonucleic
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 53
[0.00% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Benjamin Franklin's Birthday
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2022 12:04:12 PM
Thirteen Virtues[oh my, could not count with my fingers, way more than 7 or 8 sins]

Franklin sought to cultivate his character by a plan of 13 virtues,
which he developed at age 20 (in 1726) and continued to practice in some form for the rest of his life.
His autobiography lists his 13 virtues as:

"Temperance. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation."
"Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation."
"Order. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time."
"Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve."
"Frugality. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing."
"Industry. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions."
"Sincerity. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly."
"Justice. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty."
"Moderation. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve."
"Cleanliness. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, clothes, or habitation."
"Tranquility. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable."
"Chastity. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation."
"Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates."
Topic: The things that happen here do not seem to mean anything; they mean something somewhere else. Somewhere else retribution will...
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2022 11:32:44 AM
sounds like a gallargher
Topic: Pongal
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 11:02:14 AM
No cow is expected to work on Pongal; instead, they roam the countryside in all their flowers and finery.
Oh my~~Shitizen in China work 996 or even 007Shame on you
Topic: Franz Clemens Honoratus Hermann Brentano (1838)
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 10:56:41 AM
The problem of Brentano’s theory of judgment is not the idea that all judgments are existential judgments
(though it is sometimes a very complex enterprise to transform an ordinary judgment into an existential one),
the real problem is that Brentano made no distinction between object and presentation.

A presentation exists as an object in your mind.
So you cannot really judge that A does not exist, because if you do so you also judge that the presentation is not there
(which is impossible, according to Brentano’s idea that all judgments have the object which is judged as presentation).

Twardowski acknowledged this problem and solved it by denying that the object is equal to the presentation.
This is actually only a change within Brentano’s theory of perception, but has a welcome consequence for the theory of judgment,
viz. that you can have a presentation (which exists) but at the same time judge that the object does not exist.
Topic: The Eight Evil Thoughts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 10:43:38 AM
ridiculous
Topic: through the grapevine
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 8:42:37 AM
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Creedence Clearwater Revival

Ooo I bet you're wonderin' how I knew
'Bout your plans to make me blue
With some other guy that you knew before
Between the two of us guys
You know I loved you more
It took me by surprise I must say
When I found out yesterday
Ooo I heard it through the grapevine
Not much longer would you be mine
And I'm just about to lose my mind
Honey, honey yeah
You know that a man ain't supposed to cry
But these tears I can't hold inside
Losin' you would end my life you see
'Cause you mean that much to me
You could have told me yourself
That you found someone else
Instead I heard it through the grapevine
Honey, honey yeah
People say you believe half from what you see
Non non none from what you hear
I can't help being confused
If it's true won't tell me here
Do you plan to let me go
For the other guy that you knew before?
Honey, honey, yeah
Ooo I heard it through the grapevine,
Ahh I heard it through the grapevine,
And I'm just about to lose my mind, honey honey yeah
Topic: It has been observed that one's nose is never so happy as when thrust into the affairs of others, from which some...
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2022 2:39:07 AM
"Good-bye.
If you hear of my being stood up against a Mexican stone wall and shot to rags,
please know that I think it is a pretty good way to depart this life.
It beats old age, disease, or falling down the cellar stairs.
To be a Gringo in Mexico--ah,
that is euthanasia!"
Topic: Mafia Boss Salvatore Riina Apprehended after 23 Years in Hiding (1993)
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2022 11:39:22 PM
by a ratShame on you
Topic: A good dinner brings out all the softer side of a man. Under its genial influence the gloomy and morose become jovial and...
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2022 12:21:12 PM
But think, before you hold up your hands in horror at their ill-living, what "life" for these wretched creatures really means.
Picture the squalid misery of their brutish existence, dragged on from year to year in the narrow, noisome room where, huddled like vermin in sewers, they welter, and sicken, and sleep;
where dirt-grimed children scream and fight and sluttish, shrill-voiced women cuff, and curse, and nag;
where the street outside teems with roaring filth and the house around is a bedlam of riot and stench.

Think what a sapless stick this fair flower of life must be to them, devoid of mind and soul.
The horse in his stall scents the sweet hay and munches the ripe corn contentedly.
The watch-dog in his kennel blinks at the grateful sun, dreams of a glorious chase over the dewy fields, and wakes with a yelp of gladness to greet a caressing hand.
But the clod-like life of these human logs never knows one ray of light.
From the hour when they crawl from their comfortless bed to the hour when they lounge back into it again they never live one moment of real life.

Recreation, amusement, companionship, they know not the meaning of.
Joy, sorrow, laughter, tears, love, friendship, longing, despair, are idle words to them.
From the day when their baby eyes first look out upon their sordid world to the day when, with an oath,
they close them forever and their bones are shoveled out of sight,
they never warm to one touch of human sympathy,
never thrill to a single thought,
never start to a single hope.

In the name of the God of mercy;
let them pour the maddening liquor down their throats and feel for one brief moment that they live!
Topic: Etiquette
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2022 11:47:07 AM
“Group living surrounds one with individuals able
to physically harm fellow group members,
to spread contagious disease,
or to “free ride” on their efforts.
A commitment to sociality thus carries a risk:
If threats such as these are left unchecked, the costs of sociality will quickly exceed its benefits.
Thus, to maximize the returns on group living, individual group members should be attuned to others’ features or behaviors.”