User Name: taurine
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,203
[0.22% of all post / 1.52 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The new superhero
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:43:26 AM
Yeah... After filling in the protocols and safely storing medical documentation.
Topic: Ardashir I
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:07:41 AM
At least one private home had possessed a graffiti of Shamash, that is, the ancient Mesopotamian Sun god. That Shamash seems to me to be 'on friendly terms' with Gilgamesh, so I do not understand why in the Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland 1941 Vol Xv, published by Stephen Austin and Sons, Limited, it is stated on page 300 what follows: "Nothing definite is recorded of the foundation of Hatra. But it may be assumed with Professor Herzfeld that it represents an Arab desert settlement, as its very name al-Hadhr indicates." I do not write that it is utter non-sense. Instead I will offer my explanation.
During the Second World War, Great Britain employed the science to the war effort. In this example, to gain the favour of the Arab inhabited states and their alliance against the Nazi Germany, British changed historical facts.

The information about graffiti of Shamash has been taken from 'Ancient Iran and the Mediterranean world' Proceedings of an international conference in honour of Professor Jozef Wolski held at the Jagiellonian University, Cracow
, in September 1996, edited by Edward Dabrowa, Jagiellonian University Press, Vol.2.

post scriptum
Vol.2 does not refer to the alcoholic strength by volume which is the ratio, expressed as a percentage, of the volume of alcohol in a product to the total volume of the product at a temperature of 20° Celsius, as no percentage sign had been inserted before it.

Nobody knows how many people were slaughtered by Arabs during the invasion of Persian Empire ruled by Khosrow II. Five hundred thousand, a nine hundred thousand, a million? In the seventh century current age, one million people was relatively, incredible huge number of people.
Topic: genomics
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 6:03:53 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi!
Not taking much notice of the meaning or science of it (I'm just looking at how the sentence sounds grammatically), the phrase "not even a gene" doesn't quite sound right.

"Even" is (by the sequence of words) related to "gene" - but it should really be related to "discovered".

It's not easy to change in the passive voice.. There's nothing wrong with the passive - this is a very good use of it - but it seems simpler to use "even" in the active.

Genomics is so much a feature of modern biology that it comes as a surprise to learn that we haven't even discovered a gene that enables evolution.

If you want the passive, it would be:
Genomics is so much a feature of modern biology that it comes as a surprise to learn that a gene hasn't even been discovered that enables evolution.

Looking at the science of it, I agree with thar - a gene would not enable evolution. Evolution occurs due to random "accidental" changes in genes and the results of these changes.

I do not think, that '... we haven't even discovered a gene that enables evolution.' can be evaluated as a successful correction of the sentence cited by Reiko07. DragOnspeaker had changed the meaning of the sentence originally proposed, while instead DragOnspeaker should have followed closely the though expressed by the author of the sentence. Otherwise, what else except of discovery was described by Reiko07, please? It is not a discovery what was the most important part of the sentence.
Topic: Émile François Zola (1840)
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 5:43:25 AM
Hard by, a cottage chimney smokes
From betwixt two aged oaks.

-Milton

To graze the herb all leaving,
Devoured each other.

-Milton 'Paradise Lost'.

Topic: Do native speakers use ‘on an urgent basis’ to mean ‘urgently’?
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 5:03:10 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Thanks, taurine.

What does "move around on an urgent basis" mean?

If you are not in employment deemed as of primary importance to the economy, health, safety, defence security, you are allowed to leave the home you live in once a day for physical exercise, and in any other situation in the case of essential need, only. You are not allowed to travel, for example, 5 km away to have a beer on your favourite bench in your preferred park. This means, that actually you are allowed to move around your home, along certain radius. The essential need can be described as buying 5 bottles of coca cola and not, instead, one bottle today, the second bottle tomorrow. Otherwise it might led to the abuse of the permit. You do not travel to buy an envelope, while you do not have a letter written to post it. You move around on an urgent basis, that is, along a certain radius from your home, to do something what cannot reasonably be expected to wait for another day. The more seldom, the better.
Topic: Why is "wanted" used?
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 4:28:10 PM
I can imagine the word 'wanted' used as on the poster advertising monetary reward for assistance in finding fugitives, while the word 'want' on another poster calling for volunteers needed to find them, for example, 'We want you'.
Topic: Do native speakers use ‘on an urgent basis’ to mean ‘urgently’?
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 2:43:29 PM
It seems to me, that currently with the corona virus danger around, the phrase used by you can be applied as tautophile kindly explained in the first sentence. In Ireland you are allowed to move freely around on an urgent basis, only.
Topic: Many men were beguiled by Maria's
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:36:38 AM
Boris66 wrote:
Do my sentences sound natural?

Many men were beguiled by Maria's good looks and charm, but she used them mostly as an ATM. As soon as she got what she wanted, she vanished, switched off her mobile phone, changed her address, and lived quietly and alone. But when she saw her next "victim" her character changed in a second, and she turned into a formidable predator. She could smell lonely, wealthy, shy men who lacked the courage to talk to self-confident, attractive women. She needed just a few seconds to decide if the "pray" would swallow the bait, and when that happened, the rest would be as easy as a pie. The fact that she left men furious and in tears didn't bother her much. She believed those men didn't deserve better because they saw her just a trophy they liked to show around. At least, she taught them a lesson, and she wasn't teaching for free.

No, they do not. The first sentence does not sound natural as an abbreviation ATM had been used. While it is possible to imagine, that ATM stands for Automated Teller Machine, you should not use any abbreviation unless you had used the full name before.
I also do not like treating the behaviour of Maria as anything what might be described as 'natural'. This sort of behaviour can not be classified as natural, while your question 'Do my sentences sound natural' can be understood as suggesting, that Maria's behaviour is natural.
Topic: chatterbox
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 6:37:00 AM
Emel Rapchan wrote:

Yeah. This is really good. I remember the time when I was folding page to have something like that.
Topic: chatterbox
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 5:41:24 AM
She loves interacting with people, enjoying sitting at the dining table whilst people are eating, and she is described as becoming a little chatterbox since finding her voice.