Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,106
[0.12% of all post / 1.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: pitchy
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 6:43:46 AM
This pitchy oil and ammoniacal water long ago ceased to be recognised aa a peachy modern medicine.

So pa la enferma
Topic: There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 6:37:57 AM
Dunno, think?

So pa la enferma
Topic: Kirlian Photography
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:44:04 AM
And I was thinking that Kirlian Camera is from Italy.
Very strange, indeed.

So pa la enferma
Topic: Max Weber (1864)
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 8:52:34 AM
One of the very few whose works are a good read.

So pa la enferma
Topic: They are loading cargo
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 7:43:54 AM
Containers.
They were loading containers.
The containers contain goods.
The goods transported in containers are called cargo.

So pa la enferma
Topic: calque
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 9:43:49 AM
Friedrich Nietzche 'Thus spoke Zarathustra' versus Hermann Hesse 'Steppenwolf'. This is a clash of titans.

So pa la enferma
Topic: Frankenpigs?
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:23:23 AM
I would not tamper with brains of animals used as a food. Mice, rats, apes, whatever else but not pigs.

When I was a child I had seen pig using his snout in a way similar to a plough towed behind a horse in the field. The pig was aware that any time soon was to be slaughtered. Wanted to convince the farmer that he can work just like horse. His snout was pierced through by means of a wire. This pig had been doing troves in the farmer's inner yard. A few days later was slaughtered.

So pa la enferma
Topic: Is "convicted" the correct word?
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:01:16 PM
Probably.
It may cause the attentive listener trying to discover was there any mistake made or was it deliberate application of a word with its specific meaning. It could be said that the application of this word in the context so different from its common use makes the audience for the speaker more interesting, that is, do they understand the hidden context.

So pa la enferma
Topic: Is "convicted" the correct word?
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 12:19:55 PM
I have encountered the word in question in the same context like abovementioned. If applied to this word its allegedly obsolete meaning, namely, to overpower, then it may have similar sounding like "being persuaded". But it seems that it is a really formal language, indeed.

I would like to add additionally that the word "convicted" in this example of its use brings with itself an interesting suggestion. The connotation in the recipient's mind of an information delivered through the word "convicted" in the political context may create a valuable perception of the power. The power associated with the speaker who used this word.

So pa la enferma
Topic: drunk talk
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:36:08 AM
Well, well...
In addition to interesting solutions to the problem offered by those posting above I would like to ask a rhetorical question: what the geographical location of the story concerning "something😁 with the wind" is?

On Twitter, according to the user Katie Bo Williams, some people say 'supper' to mean 'dinner', "terrectly" for "directly" and - my favorite - "fixin to" for "about to". Another Twitter user explained it also as Southern Speech in the following, straight way: "I'll see you terrectly (directly) means you'll see me when I get there as opposed to right away as the Brits use it". Another Twitter user DF stated: "It's currently being made. I shall let you know terrectly".

So pa la enferma

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.