User Name: Sarrriesfan
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,191
[0.13% of all post / 1.16 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What we called for the slices of colour pencil?
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 4:55:05 PM
I would call them sharpenings as well perhaps it's a British English usage.

Watercolour pencils not like ordinary coloured pencils, they are soluble in water and produce an effect like water colours so you can draw with them and then "paint" with them.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Topic: Have you ever heard these 25 obscure English words?
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 4:45:27 PM
I forgot tatterdemalion, it's used as the name of a character in the Void and the Word series of books by Terry Brooks.

Topic: Have you ever heard these 25 obscure English words?
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:39:37 PM
I knew of 4 of them, aglet and defenestration the same as you Coag, bruxism as I do grind my teeth and wear a mouth guard at night.

The last one is phosphenes I get those as a side affect of a degenerative eye condition that will send me blind eventually, at the moment interocular injections of a drug called Eyelea are keeping it a bay. I did not recognise the word until I saw the definition though.

Topic: Wisecracking mercenary...
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 4:53:56 AM
Amybal wrote:
Thank you Sarrriesfan.

This is "ONCE UPON A DEADPOOL" the re-cut version of Deadpool 2. So I think should be okay to watch with the whole gang as it stated as PG-13.

No PG-13 is an American rating that states that the film is not suitable for the whole family.
The text of the rating is:
Quote:
PG-13 – Parents Strongly Cautioned
Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. Parents are urged to be cautious. Some material may be inappropriate for pre-teenagers.

Where the film suitable for everyone it would be a G certificate or a PG.

In the UK Deadpool is a 15 certificate meaning only those aged 15 or over are allowed to see it.

Topic: this player is good...
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 6:02:40 PM
thar wrote:
azz wrote:
Can one say
a. This is a tool good to keep at home.

instead of:
b. This is a tool good to keep at home.
I don't see a change.
This is a tool which is useful.

Can one say
c. This is tool useful to keep at home.

instead of:
d. This is a useful tool to keep at home.
No.
This is a useful tool.

Do (c) and (d) mean the same?
One could argue that (d) means: it is a useful tool and it is to be kept at home, but I find that interpretation a bit silly.
You wouldn't say c

Can one say
e. This player is good for distracting the players of the other team.

This doesn't mean quite what you think. It means he has no other value. His only value is in distracting other players. He is not 'good at' anything. He is only good for one thing.

He is probably not 'good at' distracting them. He doesn't do it deliberately. But he distracts them. Maybe because they think he is very good and mark him and... So he can be put to that use. We'll play him so that the other guys will be distracted.

Many thanks.

In most sports I would agree with you but in Ice Hockey as I understand it there are players known as pests who attempt to deliberately distract the opposition ( there are also gooners who deliberately get into fights) but perhaps Hope123 or another Canadian can tell me if that's true.

Topic: power bank
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 7:37:44 PM
thar wrote:
Hmmm - maybe it is a 'place and time' thing. They might be advertised and listed as such - but I don't hear people calling them that. I mean, Argos lists vacuum cleaners even though people want to buy hoovers. I can only go by the kids I work with in East London and they don't regularly call it a power bank in conversation, in my experience. Portable charger, or backup charger. Or battery recharger.

eg Belkin ad/information guide
Quote:
How to charge anywhere.
Mobile devices like smartphones and tablets make life so much easier. That is, until they run out of battery power when there’s nowhere to plug in.

THE ANSWER IS A PORTABLE CHARGER.
A lightweight power bank or mobile battery pack that you can carry anywhere.

They go under different names: battery packs, power banks, portable chargers, fuel banks, pocket power cells and back-up charging devices to name just a few.

But whatever you call them, they all do the same thing.

Perhaos it's because I hang around with a bunch of computer programmers who like to use techie terms I hear power bank.d'oh!

Topic: Wisecracking mercenary...
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 3:44:49 PM
Deadpool 2 is not a film "the whole gang can enjoy" it's a bloody violent movie with bad language suitable for adults and older teenagers only.

There's nothing wrong with that my friends and I enjoyed it, but it's not for younger children.

The writers though may have been ironic though.

Topic: power bank
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 12:10:09 PM
Here I have to disagree with Romany and Thar, I have seen such devices described as Power Banks quite often in stores such as Argos, Tesco and online in Amazon.

Another example the Carphone Warhouse store.

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/accessories/portable-power-banks.html?cid=PAIDSEARCH_Google_DSA%20-%20Generics_Generics_DYNAMIC%20SEARCH%20ADS_39700025008350100&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvebhBRD5ARIsAIQUmnmd3iqDgRDC6nR0JI2d0GkL2Ed1i2XFUpOJQa74TXxANQ4nbFUB7yUaAoF5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Topic: A fisherman from...
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 1:53:57 PM
RuthP wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
The only thing I see is "the mafia gang".

"Mafia" is a proper noun - and it's rather larger than a 'gang'. It's an international criminal organisation.

I would also use "After this" rather than "Following this". I don't know why I don't like "following" - I don't think it's wrong, but "after" sounds better to me.

Short summary
A fisherman from North Chennai unknowingly falls prey to the trap set by the Mafia.

Long summary
A North Madras youngster Anbu, who is a fisherman, meets a couple of local gangsters. Without realizing it, he has fallen into a trap set by the Mafia. After this, his life suddenly changes completely.

Drago if the sentences were talking about the Mafia in the sense of the Costra Nostra then yes I would use the article and the capitalisation.

However mafia is also used as a general term by some people to refer to local criminal gangs, in which case I would not automatically use them.

You are correct that "mafia" may be used as a generic term, but I will say that I am accustomed to seeing some other descriptive term used with the word, to differentiate it from la Cosa Nostra. I would not use "mafia" as a stand-alone, but would use "gang", "gangs", "local gangs", or "local criminal gangs". "Gangs" is a perfectly good word, if that is what is meant, and does not risk the confounding with the Italian/Sicilian Mafia.

I would agree with you RuthP if I were writing the descriptions , but the person who wrote the summary that AmyBal has quoted has not. Perhaps it is more common usage in India ( the sentences mention Madras and Chennai).

Topic: A fisherman from...
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 9:11:17 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
The only thing I see is "the mafia gang".

"Mafia" is a proper noun - and it's rather larger than a 'gang'. It's an international criminal organisation.

I would also use "After this" rather than "Following this". I don't know why I don't like "following" - I don't think it's wrong, but "after" sounds better to me.

Short summary
A fisherman from North Chennai unknowingly falls prey to the trap set by the Mafia.

Long summary
A North Madras youngster Anbu, who is a fisherman, meets a couple of local gangsters. Without realizing it, he has fallen into a trap set by the Mafia. After this, his life suddenly changes completely.

Drago if the sentences were talking about the Mafia in the sense of the Costra Nostra then yes I would use the article and the capitalisation.

However mafia is also used as a general term by some people to refer to local criminal gangs, in which case I would not automatically use them.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.