Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,946
[0.19% of all post / 1.22 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: off
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 6:23:50 AM
Tara2 wrote:
Can you please explain 'off'?

this is Mary Shelley, and her word choices are sometimes slightly 'off'.

Not quite right, not absolutely incorrect but not right either.
Of course Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was writing more than 200 years ago, so what seem slightly “off” to a modern reader may have been absolutely correct for the time.

Quite a common thing that many native English people find “off” about some ESL users of English is the tendency not to use contractions where we would write or say “can’t, don’t, I’ve” they use “ can not, do not, I have”. Or they will use words that are archaic and no one in modern English would use.
I’m not directly referring to you Tara2 it’s a general point.
Topic: The superheroes of Justice...
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 4:23:02 AM
For on thing the chronology “Justice League Dark” takes place before “Justice League: Apokolips War”, the later ends in a way that ends the D.C. animated universe line with characters based on the New 52.
Justice League Dark should be watched before watching the other one.
The name of the character Batman is a proper noun and is capitalised.
Topic: Narcissist/Sociopath/Psychopath/Hubris - highlighting the differences
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2020 12:40:03 PM
Sanmayce wrote:
While surfing, YouTube suggested a video of Dr. Carter with 40 years expertise in Narcissism, it got my attention, so I asked him how to distinct them.

What are the differences, the thing that troubles me is the huge amount of psychotherapy issues mapped onto e.g. Narcissist word.
In my view, this very word is badly polluted and overburden, no? AFAIK, it simply means a self-loving person, those 8 issues in the video appear as if taken from the psychopath definition, thus mishmashing the terms. Too often I see the usage of 'narcissist' as some general way to insult.

If you are called "Narcissist or Sociopath or Psychopath or Hubris", what is the first reaction of yours?
Mine was, "I don't understand."

Context: 8 Questions A Narcissist Simply Cannot Answer

I think you’ll have to accept that in modern psychiatry the term “narcissist” is used to describe a number of conditions that stretch further than the classical idea of the young man who rejects Echo but falls in love with his own reflection. Of course even in that myth his love for himself is so extreme he is unable to tear himself away, not eating, sleeping or drinking until he dies.
Topic: self-studying
Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2020 6:39:41 PM
tautophile wrote:
Why not say "I'm learning computer science by myself" or "...at home". The word "self-studying" sounds too much like jargon, in my opinion.

Another way to phrase it along with the suggestion tautophile has made would be “ I’m teaching myself computer science at home”.

I do not like “self-studying” either.
Topic: song title association
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 2:16:38 PM
Stray Cat Strut-The Stray Cats.
Topic: safe distance or distancing?
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 8:54:29 AM
In the UK the current term used is “social distancing”

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/social-distancing/what-you-need-to-do/

But it depends on the what the sentence you are trying to construct it is possible to use “safe distance”.

“In order to properly practise social distancing you must maintain a safe distance more than 2m apart and wear face masks”.

Safe distancing is not natural to me, but the current situation and the terms used to describe it are new, “social distancing” did not really exist 6 months ago.
Topic: staff vs employee
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2020 3:04:55 PM
taurine wrote:
Staff come into being after the category was specified, that is, at first, we have a professional and then his staff, persons assisting the professional. Another method of discovery who staff are, can be observed in description of services, and then by analysing what sort of work can be required to perform the work in question. I think that staff should not be used to describe the every one person employed by the employer.

I am not sure we can make that distinction, the term “staff” can be used for people who work in a shop without helping a professional person.
For instance supermarket staff.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/15/supermarket-shop-staff-have-wear-masks-face-coverings-12993964/

Great houses in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries had household staffs.
Restaurants are sometimes described as having waiting staff.

Topic: custom
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2020 9:01:19 AM
Tara2 wrote:
thar wrote:
Custom-made

Made especially for that particular customer. Each organisation needs different features. The programmes are not all the same.

Quote:
custom
adjective [ not gradable ]
US /ˈkʌs·təm/
custom adjective [not gradable] (MADE ONCE)

made for a particular person to buy:
custom drapes/woodworking

Many thanks thar!!!
So is it like I go to that company and says that ) want a software that has these features then they make tht software only for me not many of that?

Is 'custom' taken from 'customer', please?

Yes I have friends whose jobs are doing just that, although some of them work for the company that requires the software directly.
One of the works for British Aerospace at its site in Stevenage and help write software that will help drive the Rosalind Franklin Rover that launches for Mars in 2022
When software is created that way it’s said to be written in-house.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/In-house
Topic: Billie Jean. Is Michael Jackson the father of the kid?
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2020 8:04:12 AM
thar wrote:
I never knew that. I had heard of forty days and forty nights in the wilderness, but I didn't associate it with the flood. If you put "forty days" into a search of the Bible it comes up as the length of time for everything! (Rain, ark, Moses, just to start!) If not forty days then then forty years.

Interesting that is the expression in Turkish (presumably borrowed from its neighbours, not a Central Asian thing) 40 years is just an idiomatic way of saying a long time, in ages, yonks.

I guess that means there weren't really forty thieves with Ali Baba either! Eh?

There is also the British myth of St Swithin’s day the 15th of July.
“St Swithun's day if thou dost rain
For forty days it will remain
St Swithun's day if thou be fair
For forty days 'twill rain nae mare”

If it’s sunny on St Swithin’s day it will remain sunny for 40 days, if it rains you’ll get 40 wet ones.
Topic: Billie Jean. Is Michael Jackson the father of the kid?
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2020 3:03:32 AM
Hayder Al-Amily wrote:
Hi
In the famous song of Michael Jackson, Billie jean, which Michael said ' The kid is not my son'
so is that true?
And what does he mean by'forty days and forty nights'

To some extent it’s up to the listener to make that choice when listening to the lyrics themselves, but Michael Jackson claimed that the song was about a real obsessed fan that claimed he was father of her child, so I would say in his mind it’s true the kid is not his.

“40 days and 40 nights” is an allusion to the Christian Bible, although Michael Jackson was born a Jehovah’s Witness, the Great Flood of Noah was forty days and 40 nights, and Jesus wandered the wilderness for 40 days and nights whilst fasting before being tempted by Satan. It has a significance in the mind of many people.