User Name: Sarrriesfan
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,643
[0.25% of all post / 1.38 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: letter writing
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 12:27:47 PM
I hope that isn’t your real credit card number Atatürk.
I wouldn’t put it in a letter of complaint anyway, they should have a record of your payment in their system instead put your exact time, date and room number. The hotel should be able to trace your payment details from that without needing your card number.
Topic: Rich Brooks looked like a guy who missed the last bus to work.
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2021 12:09:16 PM
It’s not a phrase that I know.
It could mean that or something else, more context might explain more.
For example.
Richie Brook looked like a guy who missed the last bus to work, frustrated and disappointed.
Topic: Carbon-14-dated dinosaur bones
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2021 3:07:30 AM
Reiko07 wrote:
Russell Oxendine wrote:
Agree!...

Thanks, Russell.

thar wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by unreliable. The decay is reliable, although the ratios have larger error bars as the materials age. The choice and processing of samples is open to misuse! Like any analysis.

I suppose that radiocarbon dating was developed on the wrong premise that radiocarbon concentration had always been constant. Radiocarbon dating proved grossly inaccurate and so has been updated many times.

Carbon dating, the archaeological workhorse, is getting a major reboot

thar wrote:
But the point here is that carbon-14 dating only works up to 40,000 or 50,000 years, . Beyond that it doesn't work. Its half life is only 5,730 years.

No. The point is that they detected some amount of C-14 in fossils which are allegedly over 65 million years old.

At no point in that Nature article you have linked to did they mention using C-14 dating on fossils over 65 million years old.
Topic: Oi, you, come over here a minute!
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2021 2:57:31 PM
FounDit wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
I think you are right with "for a short time", but "Oi, you," sounds very rude.

Nawww, that can't be. We're told the British are so very polite at all times, unlike us Americans.Whistle

Then I am afraid you’ve been badly mislead.
Topic: What do the parts in bold mean here?
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2021 1:09:03 PM
Here trousers up is more literal, the gentleman in question has posted images of himself on line in his underwear but with his trousers around his ankles, which looks a little silly.
I would say it not just that he’s a body builder, he’s stupid along with it. He has spent so much time in the gym developing muscles his brain has atrophied and the space filled with muscles.
Topic: odor /Vs./ smell
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2021 11:27:36 AM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:

I associate odour more with bad smells myself.

I wonder if this is cultural. Most of the English speaking people I've talked use smell with bad odours ;-)
Anyway, stink is definitely bad odour.

It could be perhaps thar, Drago, FD, Sureshot, Wilmar, Tautophile or any of the other regulars can chip in.
Topic: odor /Vs./ smell
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2021 7:40:00 AM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
People usually connect the word smell to some bad smells, and odour and scent to good smells.
In your example, I'd definitely use smell.

I associate odour more with bad smells myself.

It’s associated with that so strongly that it is used in the idiom “in a bad odour” to mean to be the subject of someone’s displeasure.
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+bad+odour

I’d use odour in the description myself rather than smell.
But having said that I also agree with the post made on the other thread about plastic bowls, sell the good points of your ceramic ones not the bad one of plastic bowls. Selling your goods positively is better from a consumer level.

“This ceramic bowl is hard wearing, and it’s ceramic nature makes it easy to clean, doesn’t stain or allow the build up of unpleasant smells.”
Topic: tippy top of the hill
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2021 2:08:11 PM
Tara2 wrote:

We're at the tippy-top of the hill. I looked up 'tippy-top' but really wasn't in dictionary only in stack site, they say it means at the very top of the hill, and say it's childish. Is 'tippy' taken from what that mans 'very' and childish, please?

The tip of something like a hill or mountain is it’s very top, it’s summit.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Tip
Quote:
2. the top or summit

Adding the “py” suffix to the end of tip and adding top, tippy-top is a childish way of expressing that.
Topic: taking communion VS receiving the communion
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2021 6:07:26 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I think they're the same thing.
When I was a lad and went to Catholic church, we said "go to communion".

It was not a separate rite.
There is the mass - usually taking about an hour. It contains several readings (from the bible and from other sources) which are different every day, a few prayers (same every day) - then "communion", where some of the congregation went up to the altar and were given a bit of bread to eat (which was supposed to have been changed into the flesh of Christ). So "going to communion" was going up to the altar and eating the bread.

I think that's the same as "taking communion" and "receiving communion".

Although other Christian denominations have a different view of the eating of the piece of bread, for them it’s symbolic but doesn’t actually become the flesh of Christ.
Topic: Cat bowl (proofread)
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2021 1:18:25 AM
sb70012 wrote:

This is a beautiful ceramic cat food bowl (cat food dish). As you see there is a design on the surface of the bowl. Yes! It is a picture of a cat paw. This is a cute dish in which cats can eat their food. I bet that your cat must like it very much. The high and low angles designed in front and back of the bowl can protects the spine of the animal very well so that the animal doesn’t feel any pressure while eating food in it. It is definitely a product designed with care. It can also be used as a good place of leftover water for cats to drink.

Hello,
I have written this by myself. We are selling this on Amazon. Would you please proofread my text? Any mistakes? I'm going to upload it on Amazon.

Thank you very much for your time.

My first thoughts the “Yes! It a picture of a cats paw”, comes across as a little condescending,people can see that in the picture some buyers may be put off.
“This a beautiful ceramic cat food bowl/dish with a cats paw print design”.

“I bet that your cat will like it very much”.

The next part of the text about high and low angles, that’s not what it has it has a sloped design that you claim protects the cats spine whilst eating. I’d use ‘your cat” again rather than “the animal” it engages the customer more. And I would have to ask what proof do you have it’s a benefit?
Why leftover water in particular, I am sure the cat would like fresh water. Okay if it was like mine it would ignore water in a bowl and drink from the fish pond.