Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,603
[0.16% of all post / 1.13 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: throw up in the way of...
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 4:00:50 AM
Amarillide wrote:
Hello Tautophile,
Thank you, but I didn't write the phrase, I was just trying to understand its meaning.
The meaning of "vomiting" was the only one I knew before this phrase. That's very interesting, does your post suggests that the phrase, because of the other meaning of "throwing up", may somehow sound not very refined or polite?
Ama

No it’s perfectly fine to use “throwing up problems” it’s not rude or impolite, it’s a common usage.
Context will tell us if it was used to refer to problems or vomiting I would hesitate to use it.
Topic: Spring has come. / Spring is here.
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2020 1:57:03 AM
I might also say “Spring has sprung” because it’s a set phrase made famous in poetry and song.
Old Blue Eyes, Frank Sinatra has well known song “Feel so Young”.
“ You make me feel so young
You make me feel as spring has sprung
And every time I see you grin
I'm such a happy individual
The moment that you speak
I wanna go play hide and seek”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZNIKZdoehE
Topic: 1.65 metres => six five / sixty five
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 7:15:11 AM
thar wrote:
No, six five.

After the decimal point, this is not 'sixty-five - because you don't know it is that many hundredths.

If you said it that way, then 1.6 and 1.60 would be different numbers -one point six and one point sixty. They are the same number with different levels of accuracy -six and six zero. Treating a number in tenths and hundredths as if it is in tens and units is bad mathematical thinking.

One meter sixty-five or one sixty-five - yes, that is fine because what you are giving is two units. One metre and sixty-five [centimetres].
But not one point sixty-five [metres]. Never say that.

(As you can see I feel strongly about this. Children hear it, they think sixty must be bigger that six, right? Then they complain they don't understand decimals, and I can understand why!)

A western English-speaking native would say they are five foot five (or 'five five'. Whistle

Even in the UK which has some things in metres, height is in feet and inches!
Unless you have to convert it to metres for some reason.

Yes mostly we’d use feet and inches unless it was for official reasons like a medical form.
Topic: Drawn across
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 2:50:31 AM
Although now hunting foxes with dogs is against the law.
At least it’s supposed to be hunts still go out after fake scent and sometimes “accidentally” kill a real fox.
Topic: is lost
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:36:48 AM
Reiko07 wrote:
thar wrote:

(I guess the same adage from the other perspective is 'Who dares wins')

Thanks.

Are the following sentences correct?

(a) Whoever dares wins.

(b) He who dares wins.

Yes.
Who Dares Wins is famously the motto of the British special forces regiment the SAS.

The headstone of SAS soldier in Les Ormes Commonwealth Cemetery.
Topic: scale/scales (weighing device) it is / they are
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 5:27:39 PM
sb70012 wrote:

1. Where is the scale? It's on the counter. (AmE)
2. Where .... the scales? ..... on the counter. (BrE)

As you know "scale" (measuring weights) is American and "scales" is British. In British English if I want to ask were it is, do I need to use "are" and "They are" in number 2? If your answer is yes, then isn't it odd to use "are" and "they are" in number 2? Because it's one single device not two or three.

What's your opinion about number 2?

Thank you.

If 2 was talking about a shop such as a greengrocers then they are on the counter would be acceptable.
Scale come from the Norse word skal meaning cup or bowl, so in the term a set of scales refers to the two measuring bowls found on a traditional set.

British English always uses the plural term scales and “are” and “they” because historically on such a balancing device there two bowls.

However a British homes kitchen does not have a counter we call it a worktop.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/worktop?q=Worktop

https://www.diy.com/departments/kitchen/kitchen-worktops/DIY824271.cat#icamp=SRD_kitchenworktops

This is the website of Britain's largest DIY chain B&Q.
Topic: idioms based on comparisons to animals
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 12:36:08 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I'm glad you liked it Romany - however, bad news . . .

The parrot is no longer sick.

It’s not dead it’s just pining for the fjords.
Topic: Interdigitate
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 11:49:14 AM
Ursus Minor wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
interdigitate

And what does 'one of your oars is clearly out of the water' mean?

That the person is acting in a stupid manner or in this context mad or crazy.
There are many phrases that are similar that mean the same thing, they all imply that you are acting in a less than optimal way, from the context we can tell if they mean stupidly or crazy.
These are a few examples from the top of my head.
“One sandwich short of a picnic”.
“A few pence short of a pound”
“A sausage short of a barbie” (Australians like a BBQ).

Topic: a part of a journal
Posted: Sunday, February 9, 2020 12:46:38 PM
Quote:

In the courtyard of the temple stood locust trees dating back to the Qin Dynasty and cypress trees growing from the Han Dynasty. Many of them were so big that three or four adults couldn't joint hands around them

Shouldn’t that be join hands around them rather than joint Drago?
Perhaps it was a typo I know who easily they happen.
Topic: idioms based on comparisons to animals
Posted: Sunday, February 9, 2020 7:47:37 AM
AlyonaSunlight wrote:
Thank you very much again!

I guess this idiom is not widespread!))

It’s very commonly used in British English, particularly in football for some reason.Whistle

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/08/one-direction-louis-tomlinson-gabriel-agbonlahor
“ Louis Tomlinson sick as a parrot after Gabriel Agbonlahor challenge”

From 1975.
“ Such a choker for Lou
Manchester United ace Lou Macari said sadly after last night’s defeat at Norwich: “It’s not sour grapes, but I can’t help feeling that Norwich must be the luckiest ever to get to Wembley.
“The goal that won it for them was just like the two they snatched at Old Trafford. The referee gave a corner when it should have been a goal kick, therefore Colin Suggett should never have had the chance to score.”
United boss Tommy Docherty said: “I’m as sick as a parrot. It was ours for the taking and we had the chances after they’d scored.”