Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 950
[0.11% of all post / 1.13 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: odds and sods
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 5:56:22 AM
Odds and ends is commonly used in BrE as well I would not use odds and sods is polite company, down the pub with some mates perhaps.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Topic: out
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:46:38 PM
As NKM and Drag0nspeaker have explained it depends on the context, it could be "die out" or "out here" that is the important part.

However of the two options "die out here" is more likely to mean that a group of people are in a situation were hostile conditions will kill them unless they are able to get shelter. People lost in a blizzard looking for shelter for example.

Topic: single or double quotation marks.
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 3:11:00 AM
hedy mmm wrote:
Sarrriesfan[/u] wrote:

Intresting hedy mmm in British Englsh we often use them the other way around so our version of your stament would be.
' I will be seeing my friend Mary "the grinch" at school on Monday'
We also normally call them 'inverted commas' .

A few minor typos...
Interesting hedy mmm in British English we often use them the other way around so our version of your statement would be.
'I will be seeing my friend Mary "the grinch" at school on Monday'

I said exactly the same thing! Read it again...so I'm glad we agree! Applause Applause (I guess you have a friend Mary who's a grinch too....ha ha ha) d'oh!

BE - 'I will be seeing my friend Mary "the grinch" at school on Monday'
AE - "I will be seeing my friend Mary 'the grinch' at school on Monday."

Parpar1836... I think your friend is the idiot...you are a TFDer and definetly not an idiot...you tell him I said so....LOL
Just having fun, afterall, it's Monday!
hedy Dancing Dancing Dancing

Whoops that's what happens when you type after a bottle of Pinot Noir for Sunday Lunch.Whistle

Topic: the full December
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 11:05:51 AM
I would probably say 'My store will be closed for the whole of December'.

Topic: single or double quotation marks.
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 10:21:50 AM
hedy mmm wrote:
BE native speakers are prone to using single quotations as opposed to AE, who prefer double quotations...both are correct.
As an AE native speaker, I have used both, depending upon the sentence, for eg.:

"I will be seeing my friend Mary 'the grinch' at school on Monday."

In this sentence, the double quotes is the statement (my quote) and the single quotes is like a tongue in cheek description of Mary.
Sometimes in conversing, one may indicate with both index fingers the single quotes because, as in this sentence, you are describing the dynamics of your statement (which is describing what your Monday at school will be like)

...hope this makes sense, 'eek!'! d'oh!

Intresting hedy mmm in British Englsh we often use them the other way around so our version of your stament would be.

' I will be seeing my friend Mary "the grinch" at school on Monday'

Topic: Ways Trump Insulted the Queen Exploded on Twitter
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 9:05:44 AM
To be absolutely honest we have been far too busy with the hand grenades Mr Trump has been throwing into the Brexit debate to notice protocol breaches.

First a tabloid newspaper say that in an interview he stated that Britain would not get a trade deal with the US if PM Mays plans for Brexit are approved.

The Mr Trump denies says it, so the newspaper releases the recording which includes that statement.

He's praised PM Mays former Foreign Secretary and possible rival Boris Johnson.

Oh but one breach that is important is that he has made comments that suggest he knows the Queens opinion.

Topic: an idiom meaning help
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 5:00:49 PM
robjen wrote:
(1) We cannot help you all the time. It's time for you to do things independently.

(2) We cannot be on your back all the time. ....

(1) is my original example. I am trying to come up with an idiom meaning "help".

Is "on your back" the same as "help"? If not, please give me the right idiom. Thanks a lot.

No "to be on your back" means to bother or nag someone constantly.

" Okay I'll do my homework Mum, there's no need to be on my back all the time."

Topic: Blunt-spoken, coarse-tongued, profane?
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 4:14:16 PM
How about forthright or frank?

Topic: drink/s shop
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 3:39:31 PM
Parpar1836 wrote:
Sarriesfan, I stand corrected. I've been to both places and, in a modern of Freudian confusion, conflated them. A mental typo?

Parpar1836 it's an understandable mistake, unless you are very familiar with Soho it's unlikely you know the difference.

I had it first pointed out to me when I made the opposite mistake.

Topic: drink/s shop
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 10:46:16 AM
thar wrote:
That's South of Houston street, I think.
What Houston is doing in New York is probably as good as asking what Northumberland Avenue is doing in London, so I won't. Whistle

It makes more sense than Soho in London originally being a hunting call. Sounds extremely unlikely to me! Whistle
Apparently the battle cry used by the Duke of Monmouth at the battle of Sedgemoor - and you know how well that turned out for him. Been going downhill ever since.

South of Houston Street that is intresting, I thought it could have been a reference to the Hudson Bridge.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.