Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 888
[0.10% of all post / 1.17 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Queen Elizabeth-the Longest Reigning Monarch
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 1:31:59 PM
No I don't think so, her Majesty should reign for as long as she wishes to.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Topic: What are you reading?
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 9:11:15 AM
I am reading Mythos by Stephen Fry, his retellong of the Greek myth.

He has written it in a very conversational style, almost as if he was telling you a series of anecdotes about the Greek deities and heros, rather than a academic tome.

Topic: spoilt
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 9:04:54 AM
Personally I would say my watch was broken, my car has broken down.

Topic: The platinum set number
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:50:05 AM
I would imagine that there are different levels of customer account possibly Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum each with different spending limits on them.

A Bronze might allow say £1000, Silver £5000, Gold £10000 and Platinum £20000.
( The amounts and currencies are not important)

This would allow the store to know how much could be spent on the makeover up to a certain limit without having to consult the rich person over every last detail, presumably the type of person that just pays others to decorate their house for them does not like to be involved themselves.

Topic: Clinic and Surgery
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:43:13 AM
In British English the place where a GP has consultations with patients may be called a surgery, that's not the case in AmE.

"Clinic and Surgery" is a tautology as far as I am concerned.

Topic: The platinum set number
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:30:30 AM
"The works" means to the greatest extent or the complete treatment.

What it means in this context depends on what the skills Helene has but the makeover that she does will be as much as she can possibly do.

I think that "platinum set number" may refer to an account number at a store named "Brown Thomas" where Helene works rather than a bank account.

Rich people sometimes have personal accounts with stores rather than using credit cards, that way they don't have to carry cards themselves which seems gauche to them.

There may be more clues in the context of the story, such as what tyoe of establishment Brown Thomas is.

Topic: Encode protein
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2018 4:31:09 AM
It is a specific meaning used in Genetics.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/encode

Quote:
3. Genetics To specify the genetic code for a protein.

The DNA provides the sequence for RNA to produce the appropriate proteins.

Topic: Center won't hold?
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 7:27:48 AM
Orson Burleigh wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
"The center won't hold" sounds to me like a blurt from a football match commentator.

(And yes, I've read my Yeats ;-)

Applause Well played Jyrkkä Jätkä - an apt observation. The phrase "The center won't hold" could be useful in sports commentary as a predictive assessment of the action in many of the games which are designed around an effort to move a ball or a puck against opposition.

I think JJs comment is even more well played than you realise Orson Burleigh.
In soccer "The centre won't hold" can also refer to a particular player, a central midfielder is often called just a "centre" and holding a football is the skill of keeping it at your feet without being tackled until your teammates are in a postion to receive a pass.

Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2018 9:23:50 AM
pjharvey wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
"The centre cannot hold " is a reference to battlefield formations of the past.

Imagine an army of British Redcoats or Roman Legionares they would deploy in the battlefield in several formations but one of the most common was to have a large central body of troops with smaller groups of troops to the left or right wings.

When a battle was going very badly for its commander the central formation of troops would no longer be able to hold their formation, and defeat would be upon them.

"The centre cannot hold" might be the cry of dismay of a junior officer to his commander in such a circumstance.

Interesting!
But I don't think this is the case: would the officer say "The centre WON'T hold"?, I don't think so...

I do not think there is any reason why an officer would not say that, it s not ungrammatical.

Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:09:11 AM
"The centre cannot hold " is a reference to battlefield formations of the past.

Imagine an army of British Redcoats or Roman Legionares they would deploy in the battlefield in several formations but one of the most common was to have a large central body of troops with smaller groups of troops to the left or right wings.

When a battle was going very badly for its commander the central formation of troops would no longer be able to hold their formation, and defeat would be upon them.

"The centre cannot hold" might be the cry of dismay of a junior officer to his commander in such a circumstance.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.