Topic: word association(Psychoanalysis)
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2022 8:24:15 AM
Great
Topic: word association(Psychoanalysis)
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2022 2:30:57 AM
Grape
Topic: Affidavit
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 2:26:29 AM
I think a search warrant affidavit is the paperwork that the law enforcement officers fill in to give to a judge to apply for a search warrant.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/computer-science/search-warrant
Quote:
A search warrant is a document signed by a magistrate giving law enforcement officers the authority to search a specified place for specific items that are particularly described in the warrant. A warrant must be based on another document called an affidavit, which is signed under oath by some person (a police officer or any other person) expressing the belief that certain items will be found at the location to be searched and giving facts that support the belief.
Topic: The general stores was…
Posted: Monday, August 8, 2022 8:05:08 AM
raymondaliasapollyon wrote:
Hi,

In British English, is the following okay with the seemingly plural "the general stores" and the singular "was"?

The general stores was still in existence until recently.

I'd appreciate your help.

No I wouldn’t say so in British English if we are talking about such a shop it is called a general store, without the pluralisation.
“The general store was still in existence until recently”.
Unless it was a shop that had the name “General Stores”, or included it in its name such as “Lower Slaughter General Stores”.

But it’s not a very natural way of saying it.
“The general store closed down recently “, is more natural to me and often “general store” would be replaced by something like “the corner shop”, “village shop”, or “grocers”.
Topic: put on airs
Posted: Monday, August 8, 2022 7:24:32 AM
Although I would argue you can add something to the idiom, it’s often said as “to put on airs and graces”.

Airs and graces.

Quote:
airs and graces BRITISH
If someone has airs and graces, they behave in a way which shows that they think they are better or more important than other people. I have never liked him — and his daughter is so full of airs and graces.
Topic: Books made into movies
Posted: Saturday, August 6, 2022 1:00:01 PM
Unless it’s a very short perfunctory book.
The novella “Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption” is only 88 pages long.
Topic: gazebos/placebo
Posted: Thursday, August 4, 2022 12:13:42 PM
Both gazebos and gazeboes, and placebos or placeboes are acceptable plurals for the appropriate word.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Placebo

Quote:
pla·ce·bo (plə-sē′bō)
n. pl. pla·ce·bos or pla·ce·boes

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/gazebo
Quote:
ga·ze·bo (gə-zā′bō, -zē′-)
n. pl. ga·ze·bos or ga·ze·boes

Topic: How small the cosmos...
Posted: Thursday, August 4, 2022 8:19:41 AM
lazarius wrote:
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/148293-how-small-the-cosmos-a-kangaroo-s-pouch-would-hold-it

Quote:
How small the cosmos (a kangaroo's pouch would hold it), how paltry and puny in comparison to human consciousness, to a single individual recollection, and its expression in words!

-
Speak, Memory, by Vladimir Nabokov

I perfectly understand that that would be good Russian, but is it good English? I was taught the English sentense hinges on the verb.

-

It’s perfectly good English.
Quote:
What a piece of work is a man, How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, In form and moving how express and admirable, In action how like an Angel, In apprehension how like a god, The beauty of the world, The paragon of animals.

William Shakespeare.
Topic: Eruption expected soon
Posted: Wednesday, August 3, 2022 2:54:35 PM
Thanks for the interesting updates thar.