Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,448
[0.15% of all post / 1.14 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Sweeper
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:03:11 PM
Street sweeper is what I would call him.
But in nowadays you will also hear job titles like street services worker and street hygiene engineers, that are supposed to give such workers a bit more respect.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Topic: Word to replace 'event"
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:31:56 AM
palapaguy wrote:
Koh Elaine wrote:
He met with an unfortunate event, where a blood vessel in his nose ruptured and he had to be admitted to hospital.

1. I believe 'event' is the wrong word. I cannot think of a suitable word. Could somebody tell me what is the most suitable word?
2. Would it be better if the bold words were replaced by 'hospitalised'?

Thanks.

"He met with an unfortunate event ..." is quite common in AE. Here, "event" is understood to mean something similar to an occurrence or a situation.

Now on the other hand, "... he had to be admitted to hospital" would be considered ungrammatical without an article. Anxious

Or, "hospitalized" as you suggested.

But in BrE “he had to be admitted to hospital” without an article is acceptable.
And we use “hospitalised” not “hospitalized”, I think Koh Elaine is learning BrE.

Topic: Word to replace 'event"
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:44:02 AM
Elorac wrote:

Accident?

I know this is a more than and little late and Romany has already said her piece.

It depends on what happened, did they run into a wall or door by mistake and injured their nose then that would be an accident.

But in medical terminology an event can be used to describe something that occurs due to a particular set of reasons.
I have diabetes amongst other co-morbidities and there are certain circumstances that lead to a hypoglycaemic event or episode.
Similarly someone with severe hypertension might have a blood vessel rupture in their nose if they stand up to fast or bend to pick something up, there has been no accident but the bleeding has occurred.
That’s an event, incident or episode.

Topic: Is England Still Part of Europe?
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 1:47:34 AM

I find it particularly curious that May would invoke Article 50 before the negotiating team were properly prepared. Was she compelled by the vote? Was there something in the referendum that required her to do it before the team could be prepared? Or could it be she do this to sabotage the decision of the vote? Does anyone know, or are these the questions that are to be debated for decades?...Think

It seems this might be what led to the problem you lay out in the next paragraph.

FounDit personally I think May was hoping that there were a lot of people that had voted Remain reluctantly who when faced with the idea that Article 50 was triggered would say " Oh well it's happening now, better get behind the Government and make the best of a bad job".
This would then make the job of the negotiations easier as disagreement in the country would be less, of course it did not work that way.

Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:04:05 PM
FounDit wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Has this been actually proven, or is it an accusation by the "Remainers"? If there is evidence of such fraud, it would seem no one could contest having the vote held null and void.

It’s been investigated, proven and a judgement laid down by the responsible body you can study it here.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf_file/Report-on-Investigation-Leave.EU.pdf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44856992

Quote:
Brexit campaign group Vote Leave has been fined £61,000 and referred to the police after an Electoral Commission probe said it broke electoral law.
The watchdog said it exceeded its £7m spending limit by funnelling £675,315 through pro-Brexit youth group BeLeave.
The founder of BeLeave, Darren Grimes, has been fined £20,000 and referred to the police, along with Vote Leave official David Halsall.
Vote Leave said the "wholly inaccurate" report was politically motivated.
The Vote Leave campaign, which was fronted by Boris Johnson and Michael Gove, won the contest to be the official Leave campaign in the 2016 referendum on whether Britain should stay in the European Union.

That represents a little but under a 10% overspend on their permitted budget (9.79% to be precise).
But as I say because it was a non binding vote there will not be a rerun.

Thanks for this information. It is interesting, but this brings up a new question. In your original post, you mentioned electoral fraud which "...includes funds being funnelled into the Leave campaign from off shore sources illegally the source of which cannot be confirmed.

This led me to think that there was vote tampering, but this makes it sound like the vote was legitimate, and only that it was the spending that contained improprieties. That, to me, would not invalidate the decision by the voters to leave. Would that not be correct?

Yes no voter fraud as far as I can tell.
But fraud on behalf of a campaign is still fraud and particularly when the margin of victory was so tight less than 2% it does call into question the legitimacy of that result. Was that extra spending in anyway responsible for some of those votes ?

It can not be said that the vote unequivocally represents the will of the British people when such questions hand over it.

Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 12:55:42 PM
Has this been actually proven, or is it an accusation by the "Remainers"? If there is evidence of such fraud, it would seem no one could contest having the vote held null and void.

It’s been investigated, proven and a judgement laid down by the responsible body you can study it here.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf_file/Report-on-Investigation-Leave.EU.pdf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44856992

Quote:
Brexit campaign group Vote Leave has been fined £61,000 and referred to the police after an Electoral Commission probe said it broke electoral law.
The watchdog said it exceeded its £7m spending limit by funnelling £675,315 through pro-Brexit youth group BeLeave.
The founder of BeLeave, Darren Grimes, has been fined £20,000 and referred to the police, along with Vote Leave official David Halsall.
Vote Leave said the "wholly inaccurate" report was politically motivated.
The Vote Leave campaign, which was fronted by Boris Johnson and Michael Gove, won the contest to be the official Leave campaign in the 2016 referendum on whether Britain should stay in the European Union.

That represents a little but under a 10% overspend on their permitted budget (9.79% to be precise).
But as I say because it was a non binding vote there will not be a rerun.

Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 6:05:30 AM

Because the voice of the people has been ignored, it seems, I wanted to know why. The Irish Border point continued to be mentioned. There is still much to be learned, no doubt. I had thought some who are British might provide some cogent thinking on the matter, but once again, it became the usual exercise in “straining gnats and swallowing camels” criticism that prevails.

The Irish Border issue is mentioned often because it’s a very important one, I don’t know how much it’s reported in America but the situation in Northern Ireland is still a society deeply divided.

There are still so called Peace Lines dividing communities .
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/northern-ireland-pipe-bomb-attack-armagh-rasharkin-co-antrim-a8874311.html
There is still low level attacks with bombs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49145036
IEDs placed in attempts to kill thePolice.
It’s just not on the same level as it once was.

Because of this fragile peace anything that inflames the situation more could lead to a reigniting of the Troubles on a larger scale.
This means that retaining a frictionless border between the North and the Republic is desirable. However equally because of the dangers of Unionists being enraged if there is any sort of border between them and the rest of the UK it’s difficult. They too have parties that have maintained there abilities to cause violence if the peace breaks down.

The voice of the people well that’s a difficult one for a start the vote was only a 52% to 48% for an advisory referendum on leaving the EU, it was not binding on the Government. It has been shown that the Leave campaign committed so much electoral fraud that were this an election or a binding referendum it would have been declared null and void. This includes funds being funnelled into the Leave campaign from off shore sources illegally the source of which cannot be confirmed.
But aside from that there are many Leave voters who did not vote for No Deal Brexit, they were assured that a deal would be struck and although we would lose somethings they disliked about the EU they could retain other features that served them well. So some of those who voted Leave are now saying we did not vote for No Deal.

Topic: ..use a grainy photograph of money at play
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 2:20:16 AM
Romany wrote:

I expect it was because, back then, much of the film taken at night, or in 'seedy joints', would be of poor quality. Unlike the sharp, "magazine image" these kinds of people usually present to the public.

I can't say I've ever heard that particular phrase before. But it's a familiar device in certain kinds of journalism. Kind of like "Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous". You have to provide/write/read an article with a hook, and the best hooks are variations on Royals At Play, or Politicians at Play or for many just the rich. Doing anything = Money at Play.

It’s not really a ” back then” issue despite the fact the Jack Reacher stories are about an American ex-military policeman, they are written by a contemporary British Author and set in the present day (more or less).

Although he was probably in an unconscious manner copying the style of older noir thrillers, but it may be that the image of “money at play” is a British one.

Topic: Wellington boots in the USA, Canada and Australia
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 5:12:09 PM
Walmer Castle on the Kent coast of the English Channel is the official residence of the Admiral of the Cinque ports a ceremonial roll for many centuries, the last but one was Her Majesty the Late Queen Mother. There is a lovely garden there in her honour.
Another of the holders of the post was the Duke Of Wellington on display there are a pair of his actual boots.
, https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/walmer-castle-and-gardens/history-and-stories/invention-wellington-boot/

They are close to the high knee length cavalry boots in some of those pictures of civil war boots, but not really similar to those able length boots in the first picture.

Topic: Six form
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 8:10:54 AM
Atatürk wrote:
Thank you so much Thar.

Fourth form - Lower, Middle and Upper Fourth ( IV)

Could you please explain more about "Lower, Middle, Upper"?

How long does it take for a student to finish a "form"?

A “form” would be completed in a school year.

Lower- The youngest set of pupils in that form 11-12 years old.
Middle-The pupils in that form in the midrange 12-13 years old.
Upper-The eldest pupils in that form 13-14 years old.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.