User Name: basisunus
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 27
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Counterintuitive computing terms
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 2:04:55 PM
They did change the Start button to a Windows symbol eventually.
Topic: Is the Earth Flat?
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 1:42:53 PM
It's possible to make an argument in light of relativity. A curve is non-straight when measured against a straight line; a sphere is non-planar when measured against a plane. But are straight lines and planes absolute? Mathematically, it depends on the coordinate system of choice. A sphere becomes planar in the polar coordinate system. In fact, we do use some sort of polar coordinate system for the Earth's geometry in practice, considering a geographic location is determined by two angles (long-lat) and an elevation. Therefore, most people are actually using a description for ground travels as if the Earth is roughly flat. Without specifying what coordinate system (or reference geometry) one uses, saying the Earth is either flat or spherical can be problematic.
Topic: who hates auto correct on their smartphone?
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2020 1:30:40 PM
Only autocorrect that doesn't learn from user inputs is an annoyance. Different OS makers and input methods can have very different implementations. Someone hates one autocorrect implementation may just need to keep searching for a proper one, unless it's on a more closed system that doesn't allow third-party implementations. In such cases, consider switching the OS too.
Topic: Vintage advertising posters, please help translate
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 1:01:23 PM
Cigarette cards from businesses in Manchukuo, Japan, and Hong Kong.
1. Mukden Taiyang/Sun Tobacco Co.
2. Manufactured by Kimura Medicine and distributed by Mitsui Group Co.
3. Nanyang Brothers Tobacco Co. Ltd.
Topic: can someone help me to translate chinesse to english?
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 11:57:12 PM
It could be just some gibberish in Chinese writing. Google translate is usually working pretty well. Something not understood by Google is very likely not to be understood by common Chinese speakers.
Topic: New Brain Cell Discovered
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2020 2:10:16 PM
One cell is anyway different from another to a degree. If you keep looking, some significant difference is going to be observed. I know many people are doing this on a daily basis.
Topic: Anyway to get Windows 10 to stop trying to update?
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2020 2:04:14 PM
Reinstall.
Topic: Can someone help me to translate this?
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2020 3:06:45 PM
I used Google translate on my phone to translate it as a picture. Since there are 4 possible orientations, I tried all of them by rotating the picture. Only one orientation gave a result, which is 您長引亞. I hope that helps.
Topic: medecine or computer engineering
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2020 2:49:11 PM
Computer Engineering is apparently not about tech support or repairing computers. I knew people in the major and later worked for Intel. They designed microchips, sent designs to fabs, and then tested them in the labs when they were students.
I also know MDs who are experts on computers. They do need to do programming, especially for doctors who also do a lot of research.
Topic: Help Translating Metal Pendant
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2020 1:54:57 PM
戌 could also mean a weapon made of metal to kill people