Statistics
Number of Posts: 290
[0.03% of all post / 0.14 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: is/would be OK
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 9:59:20 AM
Audiendus wrote:
With 'would', there is often an implied 'if' clause:

'Having been walking' would be OK if you used it, but more likely, I think, would be 'having walked', if one had to describe that situation.

Thanks. could "would" be replaced with "is"? If it could what is the difference?

Having been walking' would be OK, but more likely, I think, would be 'having walked.

Having been walking' is OK, but more likely, I think, would be 'having walked.
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 7:48:13 AM
Thanks. Why is "would" used rather than "is" in the above sentence?
Topic: slip and footing
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 3:44:36 AM
Thanks. What about "footing"? what does it mean?
Topic: do little
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 2:44:54 AM
What does "do a little" mean in this context?

England though laboured throughout the match and did little to trouble a stubborn Hungarian side
Topic: slip and footing
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 2:42:45 AM
Could you explain what "slip" and "footing" mean in football?

90+3 min: At an England corner, Watkins slips and doesn’t get anywhere enough power behind his effort after losing his footing. Gulacsic saves.
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 1:52:53 AM
How does "would" work in this sentence? Is there any dofference between "would" and "is" in this context?

Question A: Which is correct? They reached the oasis, walking or having been walking across the desert all day.

Answer B: 'Having been walking' would be OK, but more likely, I think, would be 'having walked.

Answer B: 'Having been walking' is OK, but more likely, I think, would be 'having walked
Topic: duck to get out the way
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2021 6:17:03 AM
What does "ducking get out the way" mean in this context?

GOAL! Liverpool 2 Manchester City 2 - Kevin De Bruyne 81mins
Oh my goodness, this game has become absolutely bonkers.

City level once again as Kevin De Bruyne lashes the ball home. Phil Foden again heavily involved, getting down the left and in behind to cut the ball back.

It didn't come to Sterling or Jesus but ran perfectly to the Belgian who smashes it in with Sterling, on the floor, ducking to get out the way. In fact, it took a deflection of Matip's knee and that could have deceived Alisson there.
Topic: help it back
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2021 10:30:48 AM
What does "help" mean in this context?

11 mins: We are totally dominating this game.
A cross from the right is a bit deep but Fornals helps it back into the penalty area. The clearing header drops to Benrahma on the edge of the box, but his first-time shot is not the best and the ball flies high over the crossbar.
Topic: would and is
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2021 6:48:12 AM
Thanks a lot for the explanation. So, type 2 conditional sentence can be used to make suggestion, can't it? It's not only used to express an unreal situation.
Topic: would and is
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2021 5:45:16 AM
Thanks. what it the sentence is without "would?" Is there any difference?

Similarly, West Ham United are known as “The Irons”, and you would refer to them as “The” Irons

Similarly, West Ham United are known as “The Irons”, and you l refer to them as “The” Irons