Topic: Study: Acetaminophen Dulls Your Pain -- But Also Your Empathy
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 5:11:27 PM
Daemon wrote:
Acetaminophen Dulls Your Pain -- But Also Your Empathy

I don't care...

I'm just glad my headache cleared up.
Topic: fall off the back of a truck
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 5:07:12 PM
I bought some rear doors for my Ford Transit from a bloke in a pub... no idea where he got them from.

Topic: Turn off the TV
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 5:03:10 PM
Television The Drug of the Nation.

And

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Topic: jesus'
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 9:28:35 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Sorry J&M, but keepyy has gone to meet his maker - RIP.

Well, that's a real shame. I don't think the theological points raised in this thread have be sufficiently digested yet. Think

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
However, the mantle of the prophet has fallen on the unwilling head of keepyyy - Hallelujah!

Nope. I'm not buying keepyyy's act... clearly a false prophet. Shame on you

And God is perfectly clear on His contempt for false prophets...
Quote:
Ezekiel 13:1-2 The word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to those who prophesy out of their own imagination: ‘Hear the word of the Lord!

… and shoddy bricklaying.

Quote:
Ezekiel 13:13-14 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: In my wrath I will unleash a violent wind, and in my anger hailstones and torrents of rain will fall with destructive fury. I will tear down the wall you have covered with whitewash and will level it to the ground so that its foundation will be laid bare. When it falls, you will be destroyed in it; and you will know that I am the Lord.

Topic: Ocean Swallows Villages and Five Solomon Islands--Study Blames Climate Change
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 6:02:19 AM
ChristopherJohnson wrote:
No-body believes in the 'anthropogenic climate change' after the Climategate.

I do. Your assertion is therefore moot.

Topic: jesus'
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 5:59:39 AM
BUMP

Dancing
Topic: Scripture
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 5:59:13 AM
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Paul, you should regard jesusandmo's post as a joke - a bad one.

There are Bibles written in plain English - 'The Way' is one, and there are commentaries that will help your understanding of the Word of God. But the best way is to be part of a Church Fellowship where there is a teacher, or teachers who can usually (but not always) tell you what you want to know.

No joke, just sound advice. It's what every theist I've ever encountered does, you included.

You say discuss scripture as part of a Church Fellowship, but which 'flavour'?
Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian Church, Protestant, Anglican, Baptist, Anabaptist, Lutheran, Unitarian, Trinitarian, Calvinist, Seventh-day Adventist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Pentecostal, Mormon, Jehovah’s Witness, Christian Science, Quaker..? that's just off the top of my head, and doesn't include any of the numerous further subdivisions... and assumes you've actually picked (in reality, were born into) the correct religion at all and ignores countless volumes of non-Christian scripture and myth.

According to the Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, there were 43,000 Christian denominations worldwide in 2012, up from 500 in 1800 and 39,000 in 2008 and this number is expected to grow to 55,000 by 2025.

The consensus on God's message has become less clear – or at least more divided – in the last 2000 years. This has happened while literacy rates have gone up and scope for communication has broadened... reading and discussing Scripture, it seems, does more harm than good – unless division and ambiguity is all part of our (supposed) omniscient deity's plan.

And this is not over some trivial subjective opinion like 'Best Read of 2016?', or Ronaldo or Messi?, or 'what the heck was Donnie Darko all about?' At the heart of this division and ambiguity is (supposedly) the issue of eternal Salvation or Damnation.

The way the majority of theists reconcile their religion with the real world is to skim and project their own meaning. And, of course, there are also some Christians who use the Bible to justify barbarous and ridiculous beliefs; suggesting they dodged those bits seems like good advice to me... and far from a joke.

Topic: Scripture
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:54:35 AM
Just do what everyone else does; dodge the barbarous and ridiculous bits, skim the boring bits and project your own meaning onto anything that's left.

Topic: "What is your RACE?"
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2016 6:20:05 AM
I'd agree that the 'Race' question on forms doesn't seem at all important to me... but I wonder if I'd feel differently if I was part of a minority group. Think

Topic: Panama Papers
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2016 6:11:12 AM
progpen wrote:
I think anyone who uses these tax avoidance methods should lose their citizenship and all protections provided by the country they are cheating.

I applaud the sentiment, but tax avoidance is perfectly legal in law. For your justice to work you'd have to make moral judgements on a case by case basis; who is going to manage that? You and I could also avoid tax within the law, but the amounts simply don't make the option viable. The system favours the wealthy, the system is put in place by the Government, and for all the short comings of democracy the fact remains that it is 'us' who repeatedly give those Governments the mandate to screw us. Brick wall