Profile: ibj_ldn
About
User Name: ibj_ldn
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 302
[0.03% of all post / 0.18 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Nazi Commandos Rescue Imprisoned Benito Mussolini (1943)
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 10:18:29 AM
Unfortunately, every country - and people - has had a well-deserved dictator... and they usually have the annoying habit of enjoying a long life...
Topic: Amnesty, n.: The state's magnanimity to those offenders whom it would be too expensive to punish.
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 9:48:19 PM
So superbly put!
Topic: Plimpton 322
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 12:07:29 PM
External link:

Neither Sherlock Holmes nor Babylon: A Reassessment of Plimpton 322

EleanorRobson

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0315086001923171?via%3Dihub

Ancient mathematical texts and artefacts, if we are to understand them fully, must be viewed in the light of their mathematico-historical context, and not treated as artificial, self-contained creations in the style of detective stories. I take as a dramatic case study the famous cuneiform tablet Plimpton 322. I show that the popular view of it as some sort of trigonometric table cannot be correct, given what is now known of the concept of angle in the Old Babylonian period. Neither is the equally widespread theory of generating functions likely to be correct. I provide supporting evidence in a strong theoretical framework for an alternative interpretation, first published half a century ago in a different guise. I recast it using regular reciprocal pairs, Høyrup's analysis of contemporaneous “naı̈ve geometry,” and a new reading of the table's headings. In contextualising Plimpton 322 (and perhaps thereby knocking it off its pedestal), I argue that cuneiform culture produced many dozens, if not hundreds, of other mathematical texts which are equally worthy of the modern mathematical community's attention.

Wir müssen frühe mathematische Texte und Objekte im Hinblick auf ihre mathematisch-historische Umgebung betrachten und sie nicht als künstliche, vollständige Schöpfungen im Stile von Detektivgeschichten behandeln, wollen wir sie verstehen. Als dramatische Fallstudies dient mir die Keilschrifttafel Plimpton 322. Ich zeige auf, dass die weitverbreitete Ansicht, so etwas wie eine trigonometrische Tabelle vor uns zu haben, nicht richtig sein kann, und zwar aufgrund unseres Wissens über die Vorstellung des Winkels in altbabylonischer Zeit. In gleiche Weise ist die gängige Theorie über erzeugende Funktionen wahrscheinlich falsch. Ich kann meine Neuinterpretation, die in einen stark theoretischen Rahmen eingebettet wird, mit Texten belegen. Hinter meiner Neuinterpretation liegt eine fünfzigjährige Theorie, die auf Bruins zurückgeht. Sie fundiert auf den Gebrauch von regelmassigen, reziproken Paaren, auf Høyrups Analyse der naiven Geometrie und auf eine neue Lesung der Überschriften der Tabelle. Indem ich die Keilschrifttafel Plimpton 322 in ihren historischen Kontext stelle, plädiere ich dafür, dass viele andere mathematische Texte mesopotamischen Ursprungs es ebenso verdienen, von uns beachtet zu werden. Copyright 2001 Academic Press.

AMS Subject Classifications: 01A17; 01A85.
Topic: Pchum Ben
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 8:09:20 AM
That's a very interesting holidays, similar to the Mexican holiday "Día de los Muertos" (The Day of the Dead), which is celebrated throughout Mexico, in particular the Central and South regions, and by people of Mexican heritage elsewhere. The multi-day holiday involves family and friends gathering to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died, and helping support their spiritual journey. In Mexican culture, death is viewed as a natural part of the human cycle. Mexicans view it not as a day of sadness but as a day of celebration because their loved ones awaken and celebrate with them.
Topic: A puritan is a person who pours righteous indignation into the wrong things.
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 7:02:53 AM
Gilbert Keith Chesterton is a superb writer. By the way, I own all the Father Brown book collection, which is altogether very interesting and amusing.
His writing style is filled with metaphors and I modestly rank him among the top crime writers of his time, side by side with Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle.
Topic: A puritan is a person who pours righteous indignation into the wrong things.
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2020 6:57:09 AM
Right. A puritan is also a person who pours righteous indignation into other people's wrong doings and not into his own mistakes.
Topic: "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick" (1901)
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 2:40:17 PM
T. Roosevelt was a remarkable man indeed, and his "big stick" policy reminds me of the line "I went out walking with a bible and a gun" in the song "The wanderer" by U2 / Johnny Cash (1993).
Topic: A lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it: it would be hell on earth.
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 7:44:00 AM
Well, maybe it is true that no man could bear a lifetime of happiness on Earth, but I suppose it would be different in Heaven!
Topic: Here, sir, the people govern; here they act by their immediate representatives.
Posted: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 7:47:16 AM
Unfortunately, Mr. Alexander Hamilton would be ashamed of the way our representatives have been acting these days...
Topic: Here, sir, the people govern; here they act by their immediate representatives.
Posted: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 7:21:27 AM
Unfortunately, that quote no longer applies to our "loyal" representatives nowadays...