Profile: ibj_ldn
About
User Name: ibj_ldn
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 330
[0.03% of all post / 0.18 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I have made a plan for my life, as I am in my teens, and no more a child.
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 5:59:53 AM
THE THIRTEEN-YEAR-OLD LOUISA MAY ALCOTT WRITES OF HER WISH FOR A ROOM OF HER OWN
T. E. C.
Pediatrics July 1973, 52 (1) 24;

One of Louisa Alcott's (1832-1888) strongest desires as a young adolescent was for a room of her own. The following is taken from her Journal and was written when she was 13 years old.

March, 1846,–I have at last got the little room I have wanted so long, and am very happy about it. It does me good to be alone, and mother has made it very pretty and neat for me. My workbasket and desk are by the window, and my closet is full of dried herbs that smell very nice. The door that opens into the garden will be very pretty in summer, and I can run off to the woods when I like.

I have made a plan for my life, as I am in my teens, and no more a child. I am old for my age, and don't care much for girl's things. People think I'm wild and queer; but mother understands and helps me. I have not told any one about my plan; but I'm going to be good. I've made so many resolutions, and written sad notes, and cried over my sins, and it does n't (sic) seem to do any good! Now I'm going to work really, for I feel a true desire to improve, and be a help and comfort, not a care and sorrow, to my dear mother.1

Copyright © 1973 by the American Academy of Pediatrics

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/52/1/24
Topic: Horatio Alger, Jr. (1832)
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 3:32:13 PM
“I mean to turn over a new leaf, and try to grow up "'spectable”
― Horatio Alger Jr.

“Now, good clothes exert more influence upon the wearer than we might at first suppose. So it was with Tom.”
― Horatio Alger Jr., Tattered Tom: Or, the Story of a Street Arab
Topic: aseptic
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 11:11:35 AM
a·sep·sis (ə-sĕp′sĭs, ā-)
n.
1. The state of being free of pathogenic microorganisms.
2. The process of removing pathogenic microorganisms or protecting against infection by such organisms.
Topic: So, naturalists observe, a flea
Has smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller still to bite 'em;
And...

Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 7:53:24 AM
By JonathanSwift, from "On Poetry, A Rhapsody". So, naturalists observe, a flea Hath smaller fleas that on him prey; And these have smaller still to bite 'em; And so proceed ad infinitum. Thus every poet, in his kind, Is bit by him that comes behind.

[http://wiki.c2.com/?FleasAdInfinitum#:~:text=By%20JonathanSwift%2C%20from%20%22On%20Poetry,by%20him%20that%20comes%20behind.]
Topic: Heinrich Schliemann (1822)
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 2:35:26 PM
Heinrich Schliemann...real life Indiana Jones?

Prior to Heinrich Schliemann's excavations in 1871, the academic world held that the city of Troy had never existed; it was just a tale in a book; as silly to search for as Utopia or Robinson Crusoe’s Island. But Schliemann believed Homer’s Troy must have existed. He wanted it to exist, the story had caught his imagination. Acting upon descriptions of Troy’s location from Homer’s ‘Iliad’, (written more than 500 years after the fall of Troy) Schliemann started digging…and proved everyone wrong.

https://www.metafilter.com/27158/Heinrich-Schliemannreal-life-Indiana-Jones
Topic: linchpin
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 11:56:34 AM
Somehow, LINCHPIN reminded me of KINGPIN, whose meanings are relatively similar to those of the first term: a) The innermost or central pin in an arrangement of bowling pins; b) The most important person or element in an enterprise or system; and, of course, The Kingpin (Wilson Grant Fisk), a fictional supervillain appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics.
Topic: Louis Pasteur (1822)
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2020 9:28:07 AM
Quotes by Louis Pasteur:

"Where observation is concerned, chance favours only the prepared mind."
"Fortune favors the prepared mind."
"Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages."
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world."
"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal: my strength lies solely in my tenacity."
"Gentlemen, it is the microbes who will have the last word."
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world."
Topic: Louis Pasteur (1822)
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2020 9:18:29 AM
Another remarkable, heaven-sent man who saved millions of lives.
Topic: Sir Richard Arkwright (1732)
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 12:34:56 PM
Another self-made, visionary man! Applause
Topic: Every artist makes himself born. It is very much harder than the other time, and longer.
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 6:32:13 AM
I think what Willa Cather meant is that the process of creating an artist goes through many long, winding roads and that process, in my view, is endless.