Profile: ibj_ldn
About
User Name: ibj_ldn
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 363
[0.03% of all post / 0.18 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: It were not best that we should all think alike; it is difference of opinion that makes horse races.
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2021 9:50:05 AM
Difference of opinion keeps the big wheel moving - coupled with tolerance, of course.
Topic: Elizabeth Garrett Anderson (1836)
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 3:19:59 PM
Quotes by Elizabeth Garrett Anderson:

"When I felt rather overcome with my father's opposition, I said as firmly as I could, that I must have this or something else, that I could not live without some real work."

"The first thing women must learn is to dress like ladies and behave like gentlemen."
Topic: Victory is ever fickle.
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 6:55:12 AM
Sayings by Homer:

"It is not right to glory in the slain."
"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing, and dancing sooner than war."
"Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another."
"But curb thou the high spirit in thy breast, for gentle ways are best, and keep aloof from sharp contentions."
"Fear not, but be bold: A decent boldness ever meets with friends, succeeds, and e’en a stranger recommends."
"Thou know'st the o'er-eager vehemence of youth, How quick in temper, and in judgment weak."
"Light is the task where many share the toil."
Topic: Victory is ever fickle.
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 6:50:17 AM
Victory and defeat are ever fickle.
Topic: Assistance given to the weak makes the one who gives it strong.
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2021 7:17:17 AM
"In all things that are purely social we can be separate as the fingers, yet one as the hand in all things essential to mutual progress." - Booker T. Washington.
Topic: Former Slave Isabella Baumfree Becomes Sojourner Truth (1843)
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 12:57:51 PM
Other speeches by Sojourner Truth (part 2):

4) American Equal Rights Association – May 9–10, 1867: Her speech was addressed to the American Equal Rights Association, and divided into three sessions. Sojourner was received with loud cheers instead of hisses, now that she had a better-formed reputation established. The Call had advertised her name as one of the main convention speakers. For the first part of her speech, she spoke mainly about the rights of black women. Sojourner argued that because the push for equal rights had led to black men winning new rights, now was the best time to give black women the rights they deserve too. Throughout her speech she kept stressing that "we should keep things going while things are stirring" and fears that once the fight for colored rights settles down, it would take a long time to warm people back up to the idea of colored women's having equal rights.

In the second sessions of Sojourner's speech, she utilized a story from the Bible to help strengthen her argument for equal rights for women. She ended her argument by accusing men of being self-centered, saying: "Man is so selfish that he has got women's rights and his own too, and yet he won't give women their rights. He keeps them all to himself." For the final session of Sojourner's speech, the center of her attention was mainly on women's right to vote. Sojourner told her audience that she owned her own house, as did other women, and must, therefore, pay taxes. Nevertheless, they were still unable to vote because they were women. Black women who were enslaved were made to do hard manual work, such as building roads. Sojourner argues that if these women were able to perform such tasks, then they should be allowed to vote because surely voting is easier than building roads.

5) Eighth Anniversary of Negro Freedom – New Year's Day, 1871: On this occasion the Boston papers related that "...seldom is there an occasion of more attraction or greater general interest. Every available space of sitting and standing room was crowded". She starts off her speech by giving a little background about her own life. Sojourner recounts how her mother told her to pray to God that she may have good masters and mistresses. She goes on to retell how her masters were not good to her, about how she was whipped for not understanding English, and how she would question God why he had not made her masters be good to her. Sojourner admits to the audience that she had once hated white people, but she says once she met her final master, Jesus, she was filled with love for everyone. Once enslaved folks were emancipated, she tells the crowd she knew her prayers had been answered. That last part of Sojourner's speech brings in her main focus. Some freed enslaved people were living on government aid at that time, paid for by taxpayers. Sojourner announces that this is not any better for those colored people than it is for the members of her audience. She then proposes that black people are given their own land. Because a portion of the South's population contained rebels that were unhappy with the abolishment of slavery, that region of the United States was not well suited for colored people. She goes on to suggest that colored people be given land out west to build homes and prosper on.

6) Second Annual Convention of the American Woman Suffrage Association – Boston, 1871: In a brief speech, Truth argued that women's rights were essential, not only to their own well-being, but "for the benefit of the whole creation, not only the women, but all the men on the face of the earth, for they were the mother of them".

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sojourner_Truth]
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 12:55:51 PM
Other speeches by Sojourner Truth:

1) Northampton Camp Meeting – 1844, Northampton, Massachusetts: At a camp meeting where she was participating as an itinerant preacher, a band of "wild young men" disrupted the camp meeting, refused to leave, and threatened to burn down the tents. Truth caught the sense of fear pervading the worshipers and hid behind a trunk in her tent, thinking that since she was the only black person present, the mob would attack her first. However, she reasoned with herself and resolved to do something: as the noise of the mob increased and a female preacher was "trembling on the preachers' stand", Truth went to a small hill and began to sing "in her most fervid manner, with all the strength of her most powerful voice, the hymn on the resurrection of Christ". Her song, "It was Early in the Morning", gathered the rioters to her and quieted them. They urged her to sing, preach, and pray for their entertainment. After singing songs and preaching for about an hour, Truth bargained with them to leave after one final song. The mob agreed and left the camp meeting

2) Abolitionist Convention – 1840s, Boston, Massachusetts: William Lloyd Garrison invited Sojourner Truth to give a speech at an annual antislavery convention. Wendell Phillips was supposed to speak after her, which made her nervous since he was known as such a good orator. So Truth sang a song, "I am Pleading for My people", which was her own original composition sung to the tune of Auld Lang Syne.

3) Mob Convention – September 7, 1853: At the convention, young men greeted her with "a perfect storm", hissing and groaning. In response, Truth said, "You may hiss as much as you please, but women will get their rights anyway. You can't stop us, neither".[28] Sojourner, like other public speakers, often adapted her speeches to how the audience was responding to her. In her speech, Sojourner speaks out for women's rights. She incorporates religious references in her speech, particularly the story of Esther. She then goes on to say that, just as women in scripture, women today are fighting for their rights. Moreover, Sojourner scolds the crowd for all their hissing and rude behavior, reminding them that God says to "Honor thy father and thy mother".

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sojourner_Truth]
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 12:53:47 PM
In the version recorded by Rev. Marius Robinson, Truth said:

I want to say a few words about this matter. I am a woman's rights. [sic] I have as much muscle as any man, and can do as much work as any man. I have plowed and reaped and husked and chopped and mowed, and can any man do more than that? I have heard much about the sexes being equal. I can carry as much as any man, and can eat as much too, if I can get it. I am as strong as any man that is now. As for intellect, all I can say is, if a woman have a pint, and a man a quart – why can't she have her little pint full? You need not be afraid to give us our rights for fear we will take too much, – for we can't take more than our pint'll hold. The poor men seems to be all in confusion, and don't know what to do. Why children, if you have woman's rights, give it to her and you will feel better. You will have your own rights, and they won't be so much trouble. I can't read, but I can hear. I have heard the Bible and have learned that Eve caused man to sin. Well, if woman upset the world, do give her a chance to set it right side up again. The Lady has spoken about Jesus, how he never spurned woman from him, and she was right. When Lazarus died, Mary and Martha came to him with faith and love and besought him to raise their brother. And Jesus wept and Lazarus came forth. And how came Jesus into the world? Through God who created him and the woman who bore him. Man, where was your part? But the women are coming up blessed be God and a few of the men are coming up with them. But man is in a tight place, the poor slave is on him, woman is coming on him, he is surely between a hawk and a buzzard.

{https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sojourner_Truth}
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 12:40:41 PM
Another outstanding woman who trod this Earth...
Topic: Mamie Smith (1883)
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 7:23:54 AM
Mamie Smith - Crazy Blues (1920)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaz4Ziw_CfQ

I can't sleep at night
I can't eat a bite
'Cause the man I love
He don't treat me right

He makes me feel so blue
I don't know what to do
Sometime I sit and sigh
And then begin to cry